Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why has no state implemented a universal background check? I have asked you this at least 7 or 8 times and you keep dodging the question. It doesn't make any sense to have laws if you do not enforce them.
Can't enforce a law that doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:43 AM

39 posts, read 54,142 times
Quote:
If you buy from a private dealer, in a face to face transaction, no background check is required. That has nothing to do with gun shows.
You buy from a private party at a gun show. Yet you claim "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

Have you ever been to a gun show? People walk around with weapons on their back and "for sale" signs. People sell them in the parking lots out of the back of their vehicle.

But I guess you'll be telling me "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

That aside, if we had universal background checks for every weapon sale, new or used, private or from a dealer, then this discussion would be academic.

If you purchase a car, new or used, whether through a dealer or a private party, that sale must be reported by the seller to your state's motor vehicle department. This is also true for certain dangerous and toxic chemicals and commodities. The same sort of system should be instituted for all firearms.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why would it, when you can drive to other states to make a purchase in an hour.
That is illegal and a felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many guns, in the US, are bought from a private dealer? BTW, the term "gun show loophole" also refers to the type of sale you described.
I don't know how many are bought from private parties.

When people use the term "gun show loophole" they are usually referring to gun shows and not private party transactions. They seem to be under the impression that gun shows are somehow exempt from all the other laws. I assumed you meant the same as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why would it, when you can drive to other states to make a purchase in an hour.

Or you can save some time by just stealing them or buying them from an unauthorized seller who also ignores gun laws.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsg9000 View Post
You buy from a private party at a gun show. Yet you claim "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

Have you ever been to a gun show? People walk around with weapons on their back and "for sale" signs. People sell them in the parking lots out of the back of their vehicle.

But I guess you'll be telling me "that has nothing to do with gun shows."

That aside, if we had universal background checks for every weapon sale, new or used, private or from a dealer, then this discussion would be academic.

If you purchase a car, new or used, whether through a dealer or a private party, that sale must be reported by the seller to your state's motor vehicle department. This is also true for certain dangerous and toxic chemicals and commodities. The same sort of system should be instituted for all firearms.
It has nothing to do with gun shows. I can buy from a private party an Chili's, but that doesn't mean there is a Chili's loophole. I can also buy from a private party at their house, my house, a dealer shop, the police station, etc.

First you were complaining there is no universal background check and now you are complaining that guns aren't registered. I figured that was the ultimate goal...

Why has no state implemented a universal background check?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,415,324 times
Quote:
Oh I see! Since they are criminals already, we should allow them to purchase a gun legally without submitting to a background check. Makes perfect sense.

(see war on drugs)

Old 04-22-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Can't enforce a law that doesn't exist.
That doesn't explain why all the other laws aren't enforced. You're still dodging my question.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
That is illegal and a felony.
It is also the easiest way to get a hold of one, because the seller is not required to verify your home state. This is actually something that a background check requirment would slow down, because the seller would have to complete the transaction at a local dealer who would run the background check.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Or you can save some time by just stealing them or buying them from an unauthorized seller who also ignores gun laws.
I would have trouble finding such seller.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
There are states which require a licence to buy one, and the background checks are a part of aquiring the licence. Is that what you are asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies