Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:35 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,825,905 times

Advertisements

I would love it if everyone in this thread who thinks this law is a good idea to find a local homeless person and pay for a hotel room for them for a couple of nights. Because they are people after all and are down on their luck, put your money where your mouth is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So the homeless should be treated differently from the rest of us...why?? This could happen to any of us. To think there are people like you that judge those down on their luck is pretty deplorable.
Some people can't help being shallow. They look down on anyone who isn't a carbon copy of themself.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I would love it if everyone in this thread who thinks this law is a good idea to find a local homeless person and pay for a hotel room for them for a couple of nights. Because they are people after all and are down on their luck, put your money where your mouth is.
There is a significant difference between housing someone in a hotel and choosing to not arrest someone for minor offenses. So far as I can tell the people supporting the law aren't the ones complaining about homeless people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
What would Jesus have to say about your characterizations of him?
He wandered from place to place, doing his sermons and feeding his fellow poor?
He was a public nuisance to the status quo.
He had to relieve himself along the way I am sure.
Good point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USR3bX_PtU4

Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM

510 posts, read 889,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Homeless or the fakers? We have so many fakers out here it's hard to tell who is really homeless and who is just "working" a corner with a sympathy sign. I've seen people working the same corner for years that have an apt across the street.
The 'fakers' have been known in some cases to bring in over six figures while pretending to be disabled and homeless....all in cash, too.
There was an article about a couple that did this as their job. They would park their van around the corner and carry wheel chairs over to 'their' corner. Then panhandle for a few hours. They had a busy intersection, and given approximately a 2 minute light cycle, getting a couple bucks for each light cycle..the husband/wife team would make about $120K a year. I was so shocked when I first read that article. But then when I go to a place like busy downtown and see maybe 1 out of 100 people passing by kick out a dollar (roughly one a minute), not difficult to see how it can add up.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 16,377 times
And people wonder why California is out of money? Well good for them, now more of the homeless in our states will move there. Good move Kali.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:09 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Actually, I'm a vagrant and a Veteran. My dad was in the Navy so we moved around a lot. By your definition (and this isn't an attack on your argument, just so you know) all military personnel are vagrants.

I lived in Virginia Beach, then Norfolk, back to Virginia Beach, then back to Norfolk before moving to Tampa, Florida. I then moved out here to Los Angeles and have been having the time of my life paying cheap, cheap rent (for California standards anyway) and attending college.

I am a vagrant, a human being, a military Veteran, and most of all I am an American.
If you consider yourself a vagrant then so be it.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
What would Jesus have to say about your characterizations of him?
He wandered from place to place, doing his sermons and feeding his fellow poor?
He was a public nuisance to the status quo.
He had to relieve himself along the way I am sure.

I'll ask him when I see him. He would most likely agree after checking the definition that is put out in the english dictionary.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
...but they are Americans, are they not?
Never said they weren't. Where are you getting these ridiculous questions from?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You complain about the problem (as it is your Constitutional right to do so), yet don't want to contribute anything to solve it?

Double standard much?

Come back at me when you decide to be a real American and help your fellow Americans out.

Adios.
Why don't you help out and clean up the urine stains on the sidewalk. Your a real American right??

Old 04-24-2013, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Then they need to rethink such a law and rewrite it with excempotion not ingore enforcing the law on some and not others.No new rights bill is needed and I think perhaps other legislators will see this in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies