Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
BS, all I hear from conservatives is that liberal policies don't work, and use detriot and california as examples
Using Detroit as proof liberal policies don't work is such a complete lack of context. Detroit's history since the 1967 riots and downfall of the automotive industry and manufacturing have hurt Detroit. Now getting the right-wingers around here to admit reality is the hard part. Honest debate is not their strong suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:51 PM

602 posts, read 574,315 times
Quote:
I will go down that road with you. If detriot is an example of liberal policies gone bad, I want someone to explain to me why mississippi is the poorest state in this country.

Well demographics need to be looked at as a contributing factor, not the only factor but a pretty big one.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:52 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Didn't WI turn things around with Scott Walker?
Nope.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:55 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Well demographics need to be looked at as a contributing factor, not the only factor but a pretty big one.
I figure somebody would try to make demographics an issue, but I can blow a whole in that argument.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM

602 posts, read 574,315 times
Quote:
I figure somebody would try to make demographics an issue, but I can blow a whole in that argument.

Whole what? You mean hole?
Do you deny it being a contributing factor? I didn't say it was the biggest or the sole factor.

You gonna take your ball and go home now that you got some answers you didn't like?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:56 PM

I'm still waiting for the state that shows conservative policies at its best, and why kentucky, mississippi, alabama aren't swimming in cash

Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Indiana

Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Whole what? You mean hole?
Do you deny it being a contributing factor? I didn't say it was the biggest or the sole factor.

You gonna take your ball and go home now that you got some answers you didn't like?
I'm still here, break it down for me. First tell me what conservative states best shows by conservative policies work, and then explain why kentucky is a dump.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
Quote:
BS, all I hear from conservatives is that liberal policies don't work, and use detriot and california as examples

I'm neither liberal or conservative (in some sense where you have to be one or the other)...but
a. everywhere in the Western world is monetarily stressed right now. Texas or California. This has to do less with conservative or liberal...and more to do with corruption in government and private industry.

b. I would put forth Canada or the UK as examples of mixed solutions that have been favorable to their citizens. Military spending, health care costs are under control, free press, free speech (and yes I know there are limits which I may disagree with), freedom of religion, rail services (in the UK)...privatized National Rail and Transport for London with government support and economies which have been healthy prior to 2008 (and while may have slowed or contracted, they aren't in freefall like Italy -corrupt, Spain -whoknows, Greece- ugh).

c. Cali. has had problems largely because they have too many bureaucrats with their hands in the pie, popular referendums (mob rule anyone??), and lack of political will to streamline government. Plus the state is entirely too big and needs to be split into 2 if not 3 states.
Detroit is a problem because the taxpaying public fled the city because of race and violence in the 1940s-1970s and left the city with an uneducated populace who voted in criminals. That's not a liberal issue...that's just you can't run a city where the entire voting population are uneducated citizens.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Indiana
Indiana as of 2011 was 32th in median household income and 2010 37th in per capita income. I'm not hearing republicans point to Indiana as a place to go get jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies