Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,908,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Seems that he is known in his neighborhood.

In the area where we have a cabin when my boys go around the neighborhood picking up trash at least one of us is armed often it's one of the boys carrying. We have a lot of bears and moose in the area and depending on the time of year the bears and moose can be a little cranky. Our neighbors invite the boys in for cool or hot drinks firearms and all. No one thinks my boys are weird or bizarre. Our neighbors think the are nice young men helping out in the neighborhood.

If he was in our neighborhood the kids would surround him when they got off the bus to check out his cool firearm.

I would invite him to go to the range with me, my wife, and four boys so that we could have a chance to shoot his firearm. I would even buy the ammo.
You are a nutjob that must be institutionalized at once!!! A menace to society!!!!! A weirdo!!!!! Mentally ill!!!!!

Actually you sound perfectly reasonable but I bet all the liberals here are gasping in horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Seems that he is known in his neighborhood.

In the area where we have a cabin when my boys go around the neighborhood picking up trash at least one of us is armed often it's one of the boys carrying. We have a lot of bears and moose in the area and depending on the time of year the bears and moose can be a little cranky. Our neighbors invite the boys in for cool or hot drinks firearms and all. No one thinks my boys are weird or bizarre. Our neighbors think the are nice young men helping out in the neighborhood.

If he was in our neighborhood the kids would surround him when they got off the bus to check out his cool firearm.

I would invite him to go to the range with me, my wife, and four boys so that we could have a chance to shoot his firearm. I would even buy the ammo.
That neighborhood doesn't seem to be in bear country, looks rather suburban.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,469,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The only reason anyone anywhere has a reason to fear a feral dog is if they are not armed. That is not a problem in this country. You have to manufacture some irrational analogy from another country because you are incapable of dealing with reality in this country.

Well then, in general, your irrational fear is not my problem, it is yours to overcome. I have no such fears, and will exercise my constitutionally protected rights as I see fit. If it freaks people out (it would only freak out the lesser-48er tourists in Alaska, specifically because of their irrational conditioning) I could care less. That is their mental problem, not mine.

You clearly need to look up the definition of "hypocrisy." Calling them anything other than 'anti-American liberal propagandists in the media' is called "denial." As usual, liberal freaks are incapable of coping with reality. Which is why they should all be disarmed. Liberal freaks are mentally unstable and completely irrational.
I made an analogy about how cultural context shapes perceptions. You, clearly, didn't understand the analogy, as you took me to mean it as taking place in (a) Alaska and (b) the US. Let's understand that an analogy is a comparison by way of an example. So, my comparison was that the culture that teaches people to fear dogs in one country seems strange in our own country. What is okay in Alaska is shaped by Alaskan context, but that context isn't universal, so other places produce different perceptions.

Let's use another example. For most Americans, orcas are only seen in animal parks. They don't pose a threat, so they're not scary or intimidating or in any way seen as highly developed killing machines. But, in the wild, orcas are seal hunters who toy with their food. People who see that version of orcas come away with a different perception than the general public.

The same applies for guns. Context drives perceptions.

As Alaska only has 2/10ths of 1% of the US population, what holds true for guns in Alaska may not (and, given the unique environmental and ecological context of Alaska, probably does not) hold true for the metropolitan areas of the rest of the country. What state or city you would or would not visit is irrelevant to this point.

Hypocrisy: Noun. The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

So, when you say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You need to overcome your irrational fear and stop listening to the anti-American liberal propagandists in the media.
in regards to the validity of my perceptions you are being a hypocrite because, regardless of if your statement is accurate or not, you're denying my perception is rational yet maintaining that your perception is perfectly rational without making a substantive argument in your favor. That's hypocrisy by definition.

As to the media in the US, most big media takes a mindless stance on controversial subjects. ABC, CBS, CNN, NPR all present both sides as equal, even when on side clearly is not equal, even when one side's assertions are totally without merit or factual basis. And it's bothersome. I really want interviewers and reporters to call one side out when it's making a baseless argument. But the big media rarely does that.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,863,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Where I live in Anchorage, suburban, in the city, we also have had bear and moose encounters.

Several of our neighbors have had to kill bears that were not behaving.

Some of our moose are friendly.

When I have showen these photos to my Alaska friends all thier first thoughts are "Yumo Moose Burgers". Actually it is more like....Moose burgers....moose sausage.....moose roast......moose kabobs......moose stew.....moose steak....moose and potatoes....moose ribs......moose toung.....moose heart....moose liver and onions.....

Last edited by hogfamily; 04-30-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,136,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles - possibly the poster child for the stereotypical megalopolis. Bear sightings where I lived were common then, and they still are today. Mountain lions are spotted occasionally, too. The place I lived in just before moving to Nevada was overrun with wild rabbits, and subsequently, the predators that feed on them were fairly common, too.

Do you think that cities are surrounded by some kind of anti-wildlife force field or something?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,688,032 times
If a person was walking the streets with a knife and a gun. The only ones who were worried are those who have no guns. :-) They will be the first to call the police so they feel safer. The police will surround him and ask him to put he gun on the ground and his knife and to put his hands in the air. A man with a gun is not a bad guy, the people with guns are not worried and that is the difference on society and how we few guns and those who hold him.

You should always be on alert for someone walking down the street with a gun but if you are armed and he knows your armed he is less likely to cause any trouble.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:55 AM

382 posts, read 589,503 times
I don't think its the guy who patrols with a gun its the guy who does not want anyone to know he has a gun. You won't see the guy who wants to do harm coming.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I made an analogy about how cultural context shapes perceptions. You, clearly, didn't understand the analogy, as you took me to mean it as taking place in (a) Alaska and (b) the US. * last time I looked at a map Alaska was still part of the US. Just sayin' * Let's understand that an analogy is a comparison by way of an example. So, my comparison was that the culture that teaches people to fear dogs in one country seems strange in our own country. What is okay in Alaska is shaped by Alaskan context, but that context isn't universal, so other places produce different perceptions.

Let's use another example. For most Americans, orcas are only seen in animal parks. They don't pose a threat, so they're not scary or intimidating or in any way seen as highly developed killing machines. But, in the wild, orcas are seal hunters who toy with their food. People who see that version of orcas come away with a different perception than the general public. * Yup.. people shoud educate themselves about a subject before they preach...*

The same applies for guns. Context drives perceptions.

As Alaska only has 2/10ths of 1% of the US population, what holds true for guns in Alaska may not (and, given the unique environmental and ecological context of Alaska, probably does not) hold true for the metropolitan areas of the rest of the country. What state or city you would or would not visit is irrelevant to this point.

Hypocrisy: Noun. The practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

So, when you say
in regards to the validity of my perceptions you are being a hypocrite because, regardless of if your statement is accurate or not, you're denying my perception is rational yet maintaining that your perception is perfectly rational without making a substantive argument in your favor. That's hypocrisy by definition.

As to the media in the US, most big media takes a mindless stance on controversial subjects. ABC, CBS, CNN, NPR all present both sides as equal, even when on side clearly is not equal, even when one side's assertions are totally without merit or factual basis. And it's bothersome. I really want interviewers and reporters to call one side out when it's making a baseless argument. But the big media rarely does that. * Really? When was the last time you saw a positive news story on citizens owning firearms *

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM

2,546 posts, read 2,469,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

I grew up in a suburb of Los Angeles - possibly the poster child for the stereotypical megalopolis. Bear sightings where I lived were common then, and they still are today. Mountain lions are spotted occasionally, too. The place I lived in just before moving to Nevada was overrun with wild rabbits, and subsequently, the predators that feed on them were fairly common, too.

Do you think that cities are surrounded by some kind of anti-wildlife force field or something?
Well, to an extent, freeways and extensive development largely do push out wildlife. Cities are, generally, inhospitable to wildlife, small or large. Sure, we see some, but it is usually near some large natural space or some growth boundary, and in much smaller numbers than if the city weren't there at all.

If we think some animal or another is common, it is because there are so many of us that probability means someone will see it, even if the population of that species is, in absolute terms, weak.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You are a nutjob that must be institutionalized at once!!! A menace to society!!!!! A weirdo!!!!! Mentally ill!!!!!

Hey, you forgot non-PC, Alaskan Redneck, Willowbillies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies