Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:21 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,465,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
An interesting (and cautionary) article about employment in the tech industry:

The Myth of America's Tech-Talent Shortage - And what it should mean for immigration reform.
One article is hardly a mountain of evidence. Certainly food for thought, but not something we shouldn't take without a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
One article is hardly a mountain of evidence. Certainly food for thought, but not something we shouldn't take without a grain of salt.
What exactly doesn't make sense in the article? And who says anything should be taken without a grain of salt?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:56 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
I recall a rather large shortage of civil engineers in the early 1990's, it's tough to predict the future because of the economy and technology. I wouldn't dismiss the article as there does seem to be a shortage of software and communications engineers but there are many fields of engineering, is there a shortage of chemical engineers, electrical?

Interesting abstract below from 1951 predicting shortages in 1954

Quote:
Unless drastic action is taken to increase the supply of engineering freshmen and to continue the training programs of World War II, there will be a cumulative shortage of over 40,000 engineering graduates by 1954. On the basis of Dean Hollister's report, the Engineering Manpower Commission of the Engineers Joint Council recommended a 4-point program to the National Security Resources Board (see news item on page 179).
IEEE Xplore - The critical shortage of engineers

Old 04-29-2013, 04:58 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I've always said that corporations just wanted to bring in these Indian H1Bs because they want cheap, compliant labor.
A bleat from one and he's on a plane back to India. Same as illegal Latino employees hiding from immigration.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
I fully support unlimited visas. . .
Part of the purpose of having a nation at all is to - hopefully - improve the welfare of the citizens living there. Flooding the labor market seems like a poor way to do that...

Old 04-29-2013, 06:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
if the cost of visa + bringing someone here + language issues + education is cheaper than your sorry ass, than guess what your being paid to much.

I fully support unlimited visas. . .
Why? Every person that we bring in to fill a job that an American can fill probably pushes another person into some sort of welfare.

If there are 3 Americans and 3 jobs to fill, what happens when a 4th person gets brought it for one of those jobs? Now there's 2 jobs for 3 Americans. What's the last one out supposed to do?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
In my experience, having been in a position where I hired programmers, I don't agree with the author. To some degree, I'm sure corporate greed has had a hand in the proliferation of H1B's, but, it's also really difficult to find quality programmers, interested in working, and for a reasonable amount of money. Technology changes quickly and while a sharp programmer can learn the various languages/library du jour, there are basic skills that are lacking in so many that I have interviewed.

We actually gave a very simple coding test at our interviews and few passed-- and some walked out without taking it.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
I dunno, I think there is a huge shortage (and almost limitless demand) for cheap programmers, and similarly for good programmers, but not many companies which want mediocre people that will demand at least average wages, and that encompasses more CS graduates than not.

If you broaden the category to STEM in general, it's no secret that there are more STEM graduates than decent STEM positions. Simply what has happened is in our current age of grade inflation, degree inflation, and non-merit-based admission having a STEM degree has become the general signal of intelligence and diligence that having any degree at all used to be

Old 04-29-2013, 08:13 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why? Every person that we bring in to fill a job that an American can fill probably pushes another person into some sort of welfare.

If there are 3 Americans and 3 jobs to fill, what happens when a 4th person gets brought it for one of those jobs? Now there's 2 jobs for 3 Americans. What's the last one out supposed to do?

Yeah, thats the job market. A fixed pie of fixed jobs and we are going to push people out.

If there are 3 jobs to fill, then you hire the 3 best people (which is an evaluation of salary + cost to import + and their ability). You hire 3 good people, don't settle for a crappy person (because he is american). Then your company does better and you hire 3 more, and so on.

One of those guys you "imported" starts a software company. they are more likely to do that, since we only import the "top of the top" of India/China/etc

In the end your company is better served, more people are employed, and the only one screwed is the person who wasn't qualified and now takes a job as tech support for HP (while he should go back to school).

This isn't a zero sum game. Get the govt out of the role between business and workers, and you will see more people employed and more innovation at a better price

Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
In my experience, having been in a position where I hired programmers, I don't agree with the author. To some degree, I'm sure corporate greed has had a hand in the proliferation of H1B's, but, it's also really difficult to find quality programmers, interested in working, and for a reasonable amount of money. Technology changes quickly and while a sharp programmer can learn the various languages/library du jour, there are basic skills that are lacking in so many that I have interviewed.

We actually gave a very simple coding test at our interviews and few passed-- and some walked out without taking it.
key words: t's also really difficult to find quality programmers, interested in working, and for a reasonable amount of money

Companies don't want to pay what the market wants- so they circumvent it by hiring cheap labor from overseas. Why not cut manager salaries and pay more for American engineers???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies