Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Hilarious! The dude advocates learning history by reading books that were written before events transpired. His Mussolini example: He found books from the 1930s, before Mussolini had had time to prove his utter vileness, and uses them to prove that history has been "rewritten."

Yeah, and any book written before the 1920s about Hitler would think he was just grand, too. O hey, I know -- got any info about the beloved Tsarnaev brothers written before April 15, 2013? Hah, we've all "rewritten" history since then, boo ya.

Actually, I take it back. It's not hilarious. It's not nice to make fun of the mentally handicapped, so I will forbear from mocking the author, the OP and anyone on this thread who thinks this guy's on to anything other than some really rockin' weed.
And that showed how he got into power. Also showed how he rallied the people, all the people including the Jews to go after the Communists. Most history books don't bother about that but go right into his "evil reign of power" with him killing off the Jews.

Those that don't know their history are bound to repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,378 times
Richard Whul, did a special for HBO on this called "Assume the Position." Basically, all history is pop culture, Paul Revere never rode as far as we thought, a man named Ishmel, warned the red coats were coming. Mr. Revere, wound up in prison that night. But which name sounds better, Paul or Ishmel? He goes on to talk about George Washington, Betsy Ross, etc...

I have a book called, "Lies, my history teacher told me." It's very interesting.

History, is always written by the winners!

Old 05-02-2013, 01:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cislga View Post
Richard Whul, did a special for HBO on this called "Assume the Position." Basically, all history is pop culture, Paul Revere never rode as far as we thought, a man named Ishmel, warned the red coats were coming. Mr. Revere, wound up in prison that night. But which name sounds better, Paul or Ishmel? He goes on to talk about George Washington, Betsy Ross, etc...

I have a book called, "Lies, my history teacher told me." It's very interesting.

History, is always written by the winners!
Yep, great book. The point being that many of our heroes are great not because of the stuff we made up about them, but because of the stuff that history books ignored. We've robbed our children of the really awesome true stories in favor of bad fiction.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Yep, great book. The point being that many of our heroes are great not because of the stuff we made up about them, but because of the stuff that history books ignored. We've robbed our children of the really awesome true stories in favor of bad fiction.
Worse than that..bad fiction that changes over the years. We're not even learning the same history from one generation to the next in K-12.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:27 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
"First we need to change our history" - Michelle Obama 2008
OMG! I'd forgotten about that. That woman is so incredibly and truly sickening.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default You think you know history... you really do not

In any land and at all times, history is filtered through the lens of politics.

A couple of years ago here in Texas, teabaggers on the state board of education wanted history textbooks to de-emphasize Thomas Jefferson in favor of Stonewall Jackson.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Hilarious! The dude advocates learning history by reading books that were written before events transpired. His Mussolini example: He found books from the 1930s, before Mussolini had had time to prove his utter vileness, and uses them to prove that history has been "rewritten."

Yeah, and any book written before the 1920s about Hitler would think he was just grand, too. O hey, I know -- got any info about the beloved Tsarnaev brothers written before April 15, 2013? Hah, we've all "rewritten" history since then, boo ya.

Actually, I take it back. It's not hilarious. It's not nice to make fun of the mentally handicapped, so I will forbear from mocking the author, the OP and anyone on this thread who thinks this guy's on to anything other than some really rockin' weed.

Speaking of not being the sharpest tool in the shed.
I don't suppose you have actually read any of these books yourself have you?

Not only did many people in this country think Hitler was grand, people like Henry Ford and Prescott Bush ( GHW Bushes father) gave him financial support.

History books will tell you that the Holocaust was a great shock to allied soldiers, but people who lived through the war will tell you concentration camps and the gassing of the Jews was common knowledge, but no one really liked the Jews anyway so no one tried to stop it.

Few history books will bother to acknowledge that impeachment proceedings were brought against the Federal Reserve in 1917 by Charles Lindberg and again in 1933 by Luis McFadden. As a coincidence, Lindberg’s grandson was kidnapped and murdered, and McFadden endured two attempted assassinations and died of poisoning on the third attempt.

JP Morgan after bailing out the US government in 1893 when it went bankrupt, has gone on to dictate everything from US monetary policy to profiteering from food stamps.

While much will be written about Tsarnaev in future history books, you can bet your bottom dollar that the fact that Russia had warned the US government repeatedly of their terrorist ties will somehow be left out, along with his public support status.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:36 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,672,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
How I Discovered the Hidden Side of History « The Burning Platform

This article describes the truth about history as you know it. It is tainted by political and vested interests and more fiction than fact.
In just my own lifetime I have seen history revised to meet political agendas and sold like a product to people too lazy to think for themselves.
Failures are rewritten as success, and villain’s portrayed as heroes. As George Orwell had predicted, we have become a people dominated by propaganda and cultural manipulation.
You mean revised like the bible?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Speaking of not being the sharpest tool in the shed.
I don't suppose you have actually read any of these books yourself have you?

Not only did many people in this country think Hitler was grand, people like Henry Ford and Prescott Bush ( GHW Bushes father) gave him financial support.

History books will tell you that the Holocaust was a great shock to allied soldiers, but people who lived through the war will tell you concentration camps and the gassing of the Jews was common knowledge, but no one really liked the Jews anyway so no one tried to stop it.

Few history books will bother to acknowledge that impeachment proceedings were brought against the Federal Reserve in 1917 by Charles Lindberg and again in 1933 by Luis McFadden. As a coincidence, Lindberg’s grandson was kidnapped and murdered, and McFadden endured two attempted assassinations and died of poisoning on the third attempt.

JP Morgan after bailing out the US government in 1893 when it went bankrupt, has gone on to dictate everything from US monetary policy to profiteering from food stamps.

While much will be written about Tsarnaev in future history books, you can bet your bottom dollar that the fact that Russia had warned the US government repeatedly of their terrorist ties will somehow be left out, along with his public support status.
You ..... Have completely missed the point.

But on the bright side, I'm off to invest in tinfoil companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies