Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is a more important question. What does sprinting and the athletic ability of Blacks have to do with graduating high school?

ahh... now there is a good question!

my personal view of the graduation issue has more to do with culture than anything else. Socio-economic issues play into culture but are not primary. Thus the reason in certain states (sub-cultures) you find high graduation rates, and in other states, low...

I suspect i agree with you that sprinting is nowhere near as importan a topic as improving graduation rates for everyone, and especially for those sub-groups that rank at the bottom...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:02 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
It's the surroundings, you perform better when you live in fear. NYC is no fear, some brother living in Iowa or Montana knows better. Same with Arizona and all the gun toting fools who fear ther aliens trying to kill them.
wow. this is the most ridiculous post on this thread. that is saying a lot.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

If only we could put this guy in the back of every black classroom.

Test scores would go through the roof.
that's hot.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:08 PM

it has nothing to do with black males living in fear. y'all sound like a bunch of runaway slaves. I'm sure the posters who have said that black people in Arizona tend to be of a higher SES are right.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona does not have a concentration of impoverished black people like in eastern cities i.e. no urban ghettos. We have south Phoenix which historically was black, but many of them have dispersed to other areas with the arrival of the illegals and growing incomes There is very little of the black culture found in eastern cities where large numbers of AAs live separately from whites and other races. Blacks are much more integrated in Phoenix than in any city I have ever been in in the US. I think that contributes to the rates being close to white rates. The expectation in more affluent areas is that your kids will graduate. When black kids attend the same schools, that is also the expectation of them, their friends and their parents. It is normal and not considered "acting white" to graduate from high school here.
who used the term "acting white"? and I'm sure their parents actually want them to graduate for a better life. it's not just to impress the white folks they live by.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:53 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Oh. I did kind of disagree with many things.

Arizona has a large Black middle class, so that would play a part.
Which would be a good part of the men I work with: Well paid professionals. On the other hand most of the people I hang out with Black, White and Hispanic are living pay check to pay check. Personally, I think its all about who you know and who you network with. When I'm out and about at a mainstream AZ bar and grill I usually see a lot of mixed groups. I rarely see a lot of self segregation, maybe due to language but not due to race.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 05-06-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Arizona does not have a concentration of impoverished black people like in eastern cities i.e. no urban ghettos. We have south Phoenix which historically was black, but many of them have dispersed to other areas with the arrival of the illegals and growing incomes There is very little of the black culture found in eastern cities where large numbers of AAs live separately from whites and other races. Blacks are much more integrated in Phoenix than in any city I have ever been in in the US. I think that contributes to the rates being close to white rates. The expectation in more affluent areas is that your kids will graduate. When black kids attend the same schools, that is also the expectation of them, their friends and their parents. It is normal and not considered "acting white" to graduate from high school here.
Too; in Phoenix is seems in 2013 that MOST of the young good looking Black ladies, even dark skin ones, have anglo white husbands and kids with those dudes.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Too; in Phoenix is seems in 2013 that MOST of the young good looking Black ladies, even dark skin ones, have anglo white husbands and kids with those dudes.
lol@ "even dark skin ones".

well Phoenix isn't far from Vegas and I heard Vegas is the city with the most bw/wm couples in America.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:04 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's us! My kids, though are listed as "white" in school, so I guess when they graduate they won't help the stats. Maybe we will change to AA though so they get a better shot at scholarships. LOL. Some schools probably have "multiracial" as a choice. I don't think ours do. The kids had to choose, though it may have changed since they enrolled.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
lol@ "even dark skin ones".

well Phoenix isn't far from Vegas and I heard Vegas is the city with the most bw/wm couples in America.
Word is "Black" lady skin color IS an issue with many Black dudes; tho many anglo white dudes who "date out" don't have that issue so being "dark" is no big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies