Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 04:42 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,282,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I don't get the attitude that just because a small percentage of people getting assistance are abusing the systems, they should abolish it all together. If that's how the righties want to be , then fine. Lets all ban guns because a small percentage of gun owners abuse guns!! Wonder how that would go over?.
I'm a "righty" and I've never even suggested getting rid of welfare altogether. I suggest a total revamping of the system and people being upfront and honest about life in general. There is NO PLACE for someone getting government assistance, because they cannot raise their family, to have more children. They cannot afford what they have, so why are we allowing them to reproduce?

Why are we allowing people to live off of welfare as their sole source of income? The first word of "SNAP" is SUPPLEMENTAL. It is devised as a supplement to your income. This is the problem with liberals. They see money and hey, I can make it work, I don't have to do anything else. Same as social security. It was NEVER intended to be a retirement. It was intended to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement. But people said, "Why save? I'll spend my money now. I'll have SSN to retire on."

If you give people money, they will live off it and find every loophole in the system and exploit it. Liberals give NO ONE on welfare the incentive to get off of it. They actually give them reasons to STAY on welfare.

Not too mention, you liberals NEVER come up with any solutions to the problems. Only, "Raise taxes and give more. They are entitled to it."

Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,041,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Don't sleep with trash men. If you did, don't have his baby. Problem solved.

and with this tiny bit of scholarly wisdom, not to mention an embarrassingly unfounded assumption, all of America's working poor problems have just been solved

Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,163,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
What is pathetic is YOU calling him out when YOU don't know a darn thing about him.

YOU are calling him a liar and don't have the nerve to respond to HIM direct . You do do it through a third party.

I did a job for a car dealer that ONLY sold used Cadillacs and Buick Electra 225s (referred to as 'deuce and a quarter), located in a not very good area of Wash. D.C..

I asked him how these people could afford such expensive cars. He said, "Easy. They get the down payment, (underground economy. Many had cabs which is a cash business and much is NOT reported) which was much higher then normal, and they NEVER make another payment." he said he had gotten MANY cars back, he bought them back from the lending institution that gave the loans, with payment book in the glove compartment and not ONE payment had been maid. he sold one car 6 times.

Now, go ahead and call ME a liar!
Apparently you missed my direct reply to him about three posts before the one you reference. In all likelihood, one of you weenises had it removed. That's how you folks operate. You love to denigrate particular groups of people, yet when someone gives you the treatment back at you, you whine and you go running to the teacher. What pusses.

What is also pathetic is the absolute inability of most Americans to have any discernment or ability to be skeptical of things. So a guy told you this story? Gee, it must be true then, right? I mean, it's probably not as rock-solid as one of those e-mail chain letters: "Did you hear this one? Obama is giving away phones..." We are a nation of easily-led dupes and no single group is more easily-led than our right-wing friends who are addicted to nonsense. This is how your brains operate. Someone tells you a story and not only must it be true, but let's take that anecdotal tale and then apply it to an entire group. You're brilliant, freaking brilliant. Did you happen to notice earlier when I challenged some other goober to validate his claim that most people on welfare are gaming the system and being fraudulent? Nothing. What a shock.

All you non right-wingers need to take a lesson from this. When you call these specimens on their lies, whether it be lying about poor people or lying about their military service or about fraudulent stats they throw out, they squeal like stuck pigs. You'll notice that the only recourse these pathetic swine have left is to try to wipe away the posts that call them on it. Stop trying to reason with them. They hate reason. Their entire lives are built around imaginary friends, imaginary "facts" and imaginary hobgoblins out to get them. Remind them and everyone else of that often.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,745,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Well I am throwing myself into the fire with this post, but I have seen about the last inaccurate and fabricated "Welfare Queen" post than I can handle.

This anti welfare attitude and villainization of the poor is WRONG.

I lived in poverty most of my childhood. My mother left my abusive father when I was one and worked two jobs to survive. Even with those two jobs, she would have qualified for welfare and food stamps. But she was too proud to do so. Thus, I lived on ramen noodles and hot dogs for most of my childhood. I was underweight and malnourished. There were more times than I care to remember that I went to bed hungry. The only decent meal I got was at school...when my mother could afford it. She also refused reduced or free lunches, which she would have qualified for. Usually, I got a PB&J and carrots and was starving by dinner time. Then I got a small serving of hamburger helper. I also didn't see doctors for most of my childhood because my mother refused to use medicaid. I am still dealing with health issues due to that.

My SO's parents were the same. They were poor and could not afford very much food, but refused food stamps. His father gardened and that was what they ate most of the time. At one point, his father made my SO eat his own vomit after he threw up a pepper because they were so desperate to not waste food.

And the reason for this and why so many children are currently going hungry (or without decent shelter or health care) in this country is because there are still tons of people who are too proud to take assistance when they need it. And it because of this prevalent attitude that people who use government assistance are worthless!!

And with this, there are people who would qualify for assistance, but choose not to do so simply because they are too proud and don't want to be "one of those people." Then they are resentful of the people who actually take advantage of the benefits they are LEGALLY entitled to and use that to push an agenda against welfare and spread myths about people who use welfare.

IT IS WRONG. You are helping to perpetuate suffering, including your own.

Also: don't give me the old, "poor people are fat in America!!" I would have been fat eating hot dogs, ramen noodles, PB&Js, and hamburger helper too if I had a different body type and metabolism. I would have still been undernourished.
The reason for this is that right wingers humiliate people into NOT taking help when they so desperately need it. They SHAME people into hunger. It's criminal.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:52 PM

30,120 posts, read 18,727,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Exactly hawkeye, we pay the taxes then are told we don't pay our fair share when we have half the nation taking out of the government coffers. Damn, I pay unemployment taxes and will never be able to collect even if my business fails. I am told it is called something like "at arms length".

Liberals want everyone else to pay but not them. Look at Warren Buffett, a man whose career is a lesson in personal tax minimization, he is the last person who should be preaching about “fairness” when it comes to taxation.

Jim Sinegal, an Obama supporter and who spoke at the Democratic National Convention. Yet Jim Sinegal sits on the Costco board borrowed money to pay out big dividends before the end of 2012 to avoid Obama tax hikes. Now they are lobbying to get an online sales tax which will hurt small businesses.

You say you are against corporate welfare but when you vote for Obama that is exactly who you are voting for.

Agreed-

Ask a liberal to cough up an extra dime for all the things THEY WANT, and they will turn and run, just as the OP did. However, as liberals, just as children, rarely take personal responsibility for anything, it is not surprising.

Liberals look repeatedly absurd with their childish demands, yet lack of personal action, like an infant child with a soiled diaper asking for relief.

I wonder what the libs would say if we, as those who pay all of the taxes, asked THEM to pay for things that WE WANT? They would be apoplectic. I wonder if the lib OP has ever considered reimbursing the government for all the aid they gave him and his wife, free of charge? Of course not- that is the job of "other people" (i.e. those of us who pay for EVERYTHING already in the US, and are always asked to pay more by a greedy, non appreciative throng of dependents). Heck- I am sure that I chipped in for the OP's food, shelter and education. What do we get in return? Derision and calls for MORE........................

Gimme, gimme, gimme...................................

Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Helping you to keep up, but that is what has been proposed and partially enacted in several states.

But not in all 50 states, and my point was that punishing a lot of decent folks over the actions of a few abusers isn't fair. I didn't feel I had to really explain that in detail, but whatever. No need for prickish remarks is there?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,745,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In those days decent people were ashamed.
This post is so disgusting there are no words to adequately describe it.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I'm a "righty" and I've never even suggested getting rid of welfare altogether. I suggest a total revamping of the system and people being upfront and honest about life in general. There is NO PLACE for someone getting government assistance, because they cannot raise their family, to have more children. They cannot afford what they have, so why are we allowing them to reproduce?

Why are we allowing people to live off of welfare as their sole source of income? The first word of "SNAP" is SUPPLEMENTAL. It is devised as a supplement to your income. This is the problem with liberals. They see money and hey, I can make it work, I don't have to do anything else. Same as social security. It was NEVER intended to be a retirement. It was intended to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement. But people said, "Why save? I'll spend my money now. I'll have SSN to retire on."

If you give people money, they will live off it and find every loophole in the system and exploit it. Liberals give NO ONE on welfare the incentive to get off of it. They actually give them reasons to STAY on welfare.

Not too mention, you liberals NEVER come up with any solutions to the problems. Only, "Raise taxes and give more. They are entitled to it."
I agree welfare should not be a way of life, but I don't recall saying we need to raise taxes and give more. I merely am suggesting a level, fair playing field would help tremendously

Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM

45,555 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
and with this tiny bit of scholarly wisdom, not to mention an embarrassingly unfounded assumption, all of America's working poor problems have just been solved
Quote:
But not in all 50 states, and my point was that punishing a lot of decent folks over the actions of a few abusers isn't fair. I didn't feel I had to really explain that in detail, but whatever. No need for prickish remarks is there?
I don't know. Is there?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,580,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed-

Ask a liberal to cough up an extra dime for all the things THEY WANT, and they will turn and run, just as the OP did. However, as liberals, just as children, rarely take personal responsibility for anything, it is not surprising.

Liberals look repeatedly absurd with their childish demands, yet lack of personal action, like an infant child with a soiled diaper asking for relief.

I wonder what the libs would say if we, as those who pay all of the taxes, asked THEM to pay for things that WE WANT? They would be apoplectic. I wonder if the lib OP has ever considered reimbursing the government for all the aid they gave him and his wife, free of charge? Of course not- that is the job of "other people" (i.e. those of us who pay for EVERYTHING already in the US, and are always asked to pay more by a greedy, non appreciative throng of dependents). Heck- I am sure that I chipped in for the OP's food, shelter and education. What do we get in return? Derision and calls for MORE........................

Gimme, gimme, gimme...................................
Who is 'we' that pays all the taxes? All those red state folks currently collecting 'their' entitlements? My rightie friends currently collecting SSI for depression whilst moaning about Obama the Muslim?

My rightie friend collecting disability due to exposure to the Agent Dujour while on a tour of duty? Yet able to paint his house with no problems.

My tax dollars are probably paying for your Medicare while you post on CD all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies