Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I would have agreed with you under the old system when people were punished for being married and the system broke up families, could be on welfare forever, etc.--that we had institutional welfare then--but since the rules were changed under the Clinton Administration, you can't be on welfare forever anymore if you're receiving benefits because you're poor. Social security disability is the exception to that, and people pay into the system for it, just like they do with regular social security. My understanding is the the time limits for welfare range from 2 years in your LIFETIME in some states to 5 years in others, and unless you're caring for a very young child or a child with disabilities, you are required to either work or take full time vocational training during that time period. You can receive foodstamps longer term, but they're meant to supplement your income to help you purchase three modest meals a day--not replace it. The more you earn, the less you get in foodstamps.
Yes, but notice how this post was ignored by those with an axe to grind? That even 1 child should go hungry in the world's richest country is shameful. If a society is judged by how it treats the least of its citizens, we're failing miserably.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:04 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
This is bulls**t and you know it. Please show me these "welfare queens" who are bringing in $5K per month. This is the exact kind of ignorance and exaggeration the OP was talking about. People need to stop spreading these lies. You sound bitter because you had to stand in a grocery line behind someone who bought more expensive items than you. You've mentioned this in more than one post, so that person's "ribeyes and king crab" must've really hit a nerve with you. I'd like to know how do you even know for certain that they were using an assistance card? Were you so close that you could see what kind of card they were using? Most people these days pay for their groceries with some kind of card as opposed to cash or checks, so you either had to be all in their personal business to know it wasn't a debit or credit card, or you were just making ignorant assumptions based on your own bias.
What's pathetic is that no one from the right side will call out this specimen for making things up.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Nothing, and I mean nothing, turns you more right wing faster and more effectively than getting turned down for assistance while going through a rough patch of your own and then after recovering your footing seeing a large chunk of your paycheck go to people who are less intelligent, worked less hard, got where they are through decisions rather than luck, and aren't pulling themselves out of it after you were told to go **** off because no-skill single mothers 'deserve' support and people unemployed in a recession 'don't'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
Well I do sympathize with your pain, and we should do something to stop the high taxes of people who are actually building this economy from the ground up.
We all have the thoughts "when I get rich" lol. For now, those thoughts are pretty much out the window. Cripe, I'm afraid to spend money. Obama is determined to get more tax money.

Just barely getting off the ground, always pumping money back into the business, but then I realized I was in Obama's bullseye. Yea, my timing pretty much stinks.

I really thought it would be so different. Wrong!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
No one cares what you're tired of.
There is a lot of waste/fraud in it. What's the problem with locating that and eliminating it?
Who has a problem with that? Obviously we should be working to eliminate fraud and waste. That doesn't necessitate characterizing people who need assistance as a bunch of lazy leeches who live like kings, dining on "ribeyes and king crab" and cruising around in their Escalades.

You can go after waste and fraud without demonizing everyone and lying about them.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:09 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Sorry, that's what CHARITY is for.

I don't have a problem with the Federal Government lending a helping hand if you fall into a rough patch, and I also support medical/dental assistance for the kids, but let's be straight and honest, it's charity. Why do people donate to churches and synagogues, but other feel it's the government's jobs to provide charity. It isn't.

BTW, I am one of those who who was too proud to ask for help from the government. I was laid off and I worked at times up to 4 part time jobs a week, to support my family. It was MY job to support them, not anyone elses.
Until the government stops providing welfare to corporations and protections to people who already own capital (with YOUR money), welfare for the poorest in society is justice. Not charity. The corporations and those with capital are getting government handouts with the assumption that they are suppose to be providing jobs for Americans. They are failing to even create enough poverty level jobs to cover everyone, let alone middle class jobs!!

"You are perpetuating your own suffering" applies to you. It also applies to your children. Do you really think they were better off with a parent who was so busy working 4 jobs that he/she wasn't around most of the time? Just to avoid using a program that YOUR tax money has paid for?

Last edited by soanchorless; 05-05-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2013, 12:10 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
This is not my experience. When my husband left me and my son (after Obama was elected!), I had to use medicaid and food stamps for a while and I was full of shame. I'm still embarrassed to admit it and I have worked and paid taxes since I was 15. I was working when I used government assistance and desperately needed it. Still ashamed as hell.
I don't think a father should be able to walk away. My dad also walked away and left my mom with 4 kids and no job. She moved to CA from Arizona got her nursing license and raised us the best she could until she married my step-dad. We often ate beans and cornbread for days & P&J's, her love was enough to keep us all going. She hated welfare and what it stood for (this was in the 60's) and vowed to never use it. Why my dad was able to walk away from 4 kids and never have to pay a dime, is beyond me.

Only one of my siblings out of 5 ended up on welfare and I'd have to say it became their way of life.....

Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I think most of us would sympathize with your situation. Our lives are just a roll of the dice. You may have been a millisecond away from being the child of a Kennedy or Rockefeller instead of the situation you were born to.

But Government institutional welfare at the scale that we have in this country is a disaster. These children are not growing up with the values and work ethic that made America what it is today.

I'm not talking about you specifically, I'm talking about the multitudes of teenagers you see hanging out with nothing to do, no one teaching them anything about life or how to make a living.

The way they see it, you coast through school and then impregnate a girl or two and then bounce between them living off their welfare, dealing some drugs, stealing a few things to survive.

Sorry, but this is true of too many. And there are success stories as well but too many like I described.

Enough to destroy America.
I wish I could give this 100 reps. This says things perfectly. Most people myself included do not want to see people struggling, We just don't like seeing people not making any effort in life while coasting by.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
So why just because you have less then me, what gives you the right to take from me for your needs?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
Quote:
Until we have enough jobs that will actually bring people out of poverty, welfare is not the problem.
This is what people fell to realize, it is not that people do not want to work they want a job that can support their families. Who in their right minds (except the really proud) would want to work like a third world person because those of us who are doing well think that they should?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:15 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I don't think a father should be able to walk away. My dad also walked away and left my mom with 4 kids and no job. She moved to CA from Arizona got her nursing license and raised us the best she could until she married my step-dad. We often ate beans and cornbread for days & P&J's, her love was enough to keep us all going. She hated welfare and what it stood for (this was in the 60's) and vowed to never use it. Why my dad was able to walk away from 4 kids and never have to pay a dime, is beyond me.

Only one of my siblings out of 5 ended up on welfare and I'd have to say it became their way of life.....
They shouldn't but in those days they did walk away and got away with it. They did start going after them for awhile threatening jail time but I don't know if they are aggressive enough today. The girl with 15 kids, the baby daddy is in jail so obviously he can not be held accountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies