Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,414,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Hey, everyone, here's how I interpreted the above post:

"I'm so tired of all the lazy Americans! People are just lazy, lazy, lazy, and I'm not going to take it anymore! Laziness is the #1 problem of the planet! Yes it is! Without laziness, everything would be nirvana, bliss, wonderfulness! Me, on the other hand, I'm a hard worker! IN fact, I think I'm the hardest worker in the U.S.! I went from sharecropper to millionaire in 2 years and I did it by holding down 3 full-time jobs and sleeping during my pee-time (and I kept a bucket under my crotch so I could just let loose when I needed to and not waste any time being lazy). Anyone can do it! Yessiree, but don't forget, it can only be done in America, because America is the land where if you work 3 full-time jobs, and forego sleep, you, too, will be rich, and isn't that what matters?..."
VERY GOOD post.....interpretation. I think you captured the intent perfectly.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You're joining the thread a little late - we've been through this already. Since you feel that only you should have opinions in this matter and that there is no waste to be found - give me your address and you can pay my taxes - seems you are so much better than the rest of us and only your opinion has any validity. Problem is - when all the money is gone due to waste - whether it be corporate or abused public assitance and you're in a state run nursing home than maybe you'll look back and think differently.
Hey, you're making the claim of enormous waste and YOU have not proven your claim. I'm still waiting for your proof.

People who support our social safety net are NOT saying there is no waste; we are saying that it isn't the majority of people cheating the system. Step back, take a breath, and THINK about this. You're just repeating old talking points from years ago.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
“The government cannot love you, and any politics that works on a different assumption is destined for no good.”
― Jonah Goldberg

Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.”
― Winston Churchill
I prefer Ghandi. That's a pretty pathetic quote from Goldberg....what has he done that makes him so "wise"? Be careful when you answer; whatever you say may betray your real values.

“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Old 05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

11,848 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
LOL. Human beings deserve food, shelter, and clothing simply because they are human beings. I mean, don't you conservatives believe that human life is sacred from the moment of conception? Interesting that the experience you claim to have had as a kid appears to have made you LESS COMPASSIONATE and somewhat bitter......seems you don't want anyone to have life any better than you did.

So sorry - but I'm a registered democrat and have been for the last 37 years. My dad was actually a delegate for Carter. I'm also a Catholic but believe a woman has the right to an abortion. And I'm very compassionate - but I don't believe in the abuse going on with either the corporate welfare programs or the assistance programs.

I take it you are either a party line Democrat or Liberal - and so it would never occur to you that anyone other than a Conservative or Republican, would have views that I do. I'd like to invite you to the new world where people,can have different views outside of a person's party or religion, they can think for themselves and they can object to party line politics and it's not even sacrilegious!

As far as compassion - turn the other cheek and quit lowering yourself to those you disagree with. You are surely lacking in your latest posts and I think they're getting the better of you.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soanchorless View Post
I know from experience that it would have helped my mother to have been on welfare as I was in the same situation a few years ago, and welfare helped tremendously. You don't have to work the system if your income meets the income thresholds. If it does not meet those thresholds, you honestly don't really need it, unless you live in a high COL area. In that case, I totally understand feeling shafted. A person living in San Fransisco is living in poverty even with an income above federal poverty level thresholds.

I also know this from experience. I currently live very well and my income is barely above the current income thresholds for welfare and far below the median income for this area. Many of the people complaining about not qualifying "when they really need it" and "getting shafted by the system" have the same problem problem that some people on welfare do: they have a misunderstanding of wants vs needs. You do not need a late model car (let alone two), a house above 1200 square feet, etc. I sold nearly all of my furniture, had no car, and had no house with equity in it before I applied for welfare. The exception to this rule may be when people have really excessive healthcare costs. Then I can understand how they might feel like they are drowning.

If your mother had no job and income, she would have qualified. She must of had too many assets. She could have sold them and then qualified after that money ran out. I did that. And my assets were not nearly enough to disqualify me for welfare to begin with. Doing this is not working the system though. Welfare is there for people who do indeed need help, but the laws also recognize that if you have a lot of assets, you do not really need help. And this just proves that most people on welfare cannot be abusing the system unless they are outright committing fraud and lying about income and assets (in which case they can easily be caught and go to prison) because they have close to no assets. To qualify for welfare, you can't even have a car worth more than $2000 in most states to. If you do, you need to sell that car, buy a cheaper one that will get you through (my car cost $1600 and should last at least another 10 years!), and then apply when that money runs out because that is when you truly need welfare.
You're equating the welfare of today with the welfare of, what 20 or so years ago? Completely different rules and guidelines.

My mother DID qualify for welfare, but back then they took dollar for dollar of child support out of your welfare check. We would have ONLY qualified for $90 a month, and my mom was getting $81 in child support. 9-10 bucks extra wasn't worth the trouble and hassel she would have had to go through, and it was only going to be something like 40 or 50 bucks in food stamps.

We had nothing. She lost the house in the bankruptcy, we had no money coming in except from the child support checks, she had no job, no savings, no car. If it weren't for the fact that my grandfather took us in, we would have been homeless. So yea, I think I know for sure that we would not have been ANY better off, had she taken the welfare.

They DO commit welfare fraud all the time, just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. And they don't take the time and effort to shut it down. It's a verifiable fact that there is rampant fraud and waste in welfare, medicare and SSI. There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to get rid of that so that the money CAN actually go to people who really and truly need the help. But as long as too many people just blindly accept the lies that there isn't any fraud and waste going on, then we'll never be able to fix the problem, and people who need the help won't actually get what they need.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:56 PM

11,848 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Hey, you're making the claim of enormous waste and YOU have not proven your claim. I'm still waiting for your proof.

People who support our social safety net are NOT saying there is no waste; we are saying that it isn't the majority of people cheating the system. Step back, take a breath, and THINK about this. You're just repeating old talking points from years ago.

You seem to read only what you want to. The majority here have no problem with public assistance - only the fact that there is alot of waste and it is getting worst - I'm not repeating old talking points as the past 6 years - not only has the abuse become worst but we continue to add more programs that does not help anyone get off the system.

I've thought about it - I took that breathe - still feel the same.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
You have a gun to your head?? You might want to look for another country to call home. As a long-time
peace activist, I've never approved of my tax dollars going to kill innocents or support brutal dictators.
But, my money also goes to far more programs that benefit all citizens and that's a small price to pay for living in this great country.
LOL! Taxes are forced, by threat of imprisonment. If there was no threat, no one would pay their taxes, including such wonderful souls as yourself. That is a gun to your head, just because you choose to accept the gun and pretend its not there, does not make it any less of a gun to your head.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,739,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
You're joining the thread a little late - we've been through this already. Since you feel that only you should have opinions in this matter and that there is no waste to be found - give me your address and you can pay my taxes - seems you are so much better than the rest of us and only your opinion has any validity. Problem is - when all the money is gone due to waste - whether it be corporate or abused public assitance and you're in a state run nursing home than maybe you'll look back and think differently.
I'm joining the thread a little late? No, actually, all right wing threads are identical to all others, so it's a bit I'd always been on this thread. Same lies and bullsh*t: Right wingers work hard! Everyone else has no job! Everyone else is lazy! Everyone else is bad! Taxes are bad! Government is bad! Liberals are bad! Commies are under rocks! My money is being stolen! Yada yada BS BS and more BS.

Right wing diatribes are so heavily full garbage that even where I sometimes might have a fleeting consideration that some right winger deserves a serious answer, that thought is quickly whisked away when I realize that all right wing responses are either utterly nefarious, or they're something that competes quite nicely with the response that might be provided by someone who is missing a lobe and a half of the brain. I could no more take a right winger serious than I could take a clown seriously.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You claim to work. We need to tell your boss what you do all day. You are always posting on cd. I would fire your ass. Or are you lying and you really are a welfare leach?
Wow! 75 posts and counting just for today!!! That takes work. When did you have time to supervise your employees who work for you in your small business?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,008,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I'm joining the thread a little late? No, actually, all right wing threads are identical to all others, so it's a bit I'd always been on this thread. Same lies and bullsh*t: Right wingers work hard! Everyone else has no job! Everyone else is lazy! Everyone else is bad! Taxes are bad! Government is bad! Liberals are bad! Commies are under rocks! My money is being stolen! Yada yada BS BS and more BS.

Right wing diatribes are so heavily full garbage that even where I sometimes might have a fleeting consideration that some right winger deserves a serious answer, that thought is quickly whisked away when I realize that all right wing responses are either utterly nefarious, or they're something that competes quite nicely with the response that might be provided by someone who is missing a lobe and a half of the brain. I could no more take a right winger serious than I could take a clown seriously.
*yawn*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies