Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:35 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Spot on...once again!

NRA Chief: Citizens were at risk during search for suspects - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:37 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Yes. He was absolutely correct.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:41 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
This Bostonian who missed the MIT shooting by 15 minutes would not have felt safer with a gun. Neither do my friends and coworkers in Watertown. Makes me wonder if Wayne LaPierre has ever been to Boston - if the people of Watertown in their densely packed two family homes had been hanging out their windows with guns, the first responders would have been in significantly more danger - not to mention risks of bullets going through walls (as they already did during the firefight).

Furthermore, it's completely legal to have guns in Massachusetts. Anyone who wanted one had one.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Wayne shows a little fear based intensity. But he sure knows how to get you guys worked up.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:50 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This Bostonian who missed the MIT shooting by 15 minutes would not have felt safer with a gun. Neither do my friends and coworkers in Watertown. Makes me wonder if Wayne LaPierre has ever been to Boston - if the people of Watertown in their densely packed two family homes had been hanging out their windows with guns, the first responders would have been in significantly more danger - not to mention risks of bullets going through walls (as they already did during the firefight).

Furthermore, it's completely legal to have guns in Massachusetts. Anyone who wanted one had one.
With your vast knowledge of firearms law in the Commonwealth you must surely know that the law gives a local police chief the authority to reject any applicant for a license to carry firearms for any reason they see fit. Therefore, not everyone who wants a gun in Massachusetts can get one. The chief in Watertown is widely known to be one of the most anti-gun chiefs in the state. Therefore, the residents of Watertown are rejected more often than in other cities or towns. And....hanging out of their windows with guns? IBTL. Since you have an incredible knowledge of all things gun you must also know that most civilians who are trained and take it seriously are better at gun handling and marksmanship than your average police officer.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
With your vast knowledge of firearms law in the Commonwealth you must surely know that the law gives a local police chief the authority to reject any applicant for a license to carry firearms for any reason they see fit. Therefore, not everyone who wants a gun in Massachusetts can get one. The chief in Watertown is widely known to be one of the most anti-gun chiefs in the state. Therefore, the residents of Watertown are rejected more often than in other cities or towns. And....hanging out of their windows with guns? IBTL. Since you have an incredible knowledge of all things gun you must also know that most civilians who are trained and take it seriously are better at gun handling and marksmanship than your average police officer.
But how many civilians actually take gun ownership that seriously? I have no doubt that those who DO take it seriously are dedicated, but the average gun owner is not at the shooting range weekly. Have you been to a shooting range lately? Few gun owners that I know have. I go to a shooting range far more frequently than the average gun owner (considering here in Eastern MA, it's not like you have a back yard that you can practice in) and that's still FAR less than the average police officer! And I will likely never own my own gun.

Proof of people arbitrarily being denied firearm permits in Watertown?

We all have a neighbor who is less than all there. My garden variety crazy neighbor slashes others' tires when they park in his adult childrens' "spot" on the street, but not after running out to yell at them to move the car. If the bombers were running lose on my street, I wouldn't trust those neighbors not to do something stupid. The sons (both in their late 20s) were prowling the street with baseball bats as it was - and I live 6 miles from Watertown! And look at the reactionary behavior of both citizens and LEOs during those 5 days! The Saudi Arabian man at the bombings who was injured but tackled to the ground and treated like a criminal when he was just a victim as well, some of my Middle Eastern and Southern Asian students who got rude comments and shoved in the streets of Boston following the incident, and the student that night who was grabbed for being brown and having a backpack in Watertown.

I stand by my statement: people who would have felt safer having a gun already had them. The rest of us were fine without and if anyone had an epiphany that they feel like they need a gun for protection, they are free to go through the procedure to get a permit now.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
NRA Chief: Citizens were at risk during search for bombing suspects
They were at risk because two people who had already shown their willingness to kill others were at large, not because there was a massive hunt to capture them. The proof that the law enforcement people used the right approach is the fact that no citizens got hurt during the manhunt and they got their two suspects. And rather quickly, I might add.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:14 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
They were at risk because two people who had already shown their willingness to kill others were at large, not because there was a massive hunt to capture them. The proof that the law enforcement people used the right approach is the fact that no citizens got hurt during the manhunt and they got their two suspects. And rather quickly, I might add.
Yeah but, you're not looking at this as a way to boost assault weapons sales. Now, get with the program, will you?

Old 05-06-2013, 06:15 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Someone tell this guy that owning a firearm does not automatically make a person a police officer.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Someone tell this guy that owning a firearm does not automatically make a person a police officer.
No a government issued costume does that lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies