Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times

Advertisements

You are all cracked. It's a completely nonpartisan thing. It's like a law of the universe. All governments will try to take peoples's rights away from them. It's the nature of governments to do this. One of our most liberal Prime Ministers of all times who lead the country for 20 years said, "All governments are bad, it's up to the voters to elect the least bad one".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 07:31 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,036,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You only left out the truth. Conservatives want to ban paying for parasites, I mean people, who contribute nothing and are a drag on society, aka liberals.

You mean like in ultra-red Oklahoma, where they take so much more money from the federal government than they give? Those "parasites"? or in the very conservative deep south states that have more people on welfare than are employed? God you righties crack me up- Spewing their hate filled garbage without checking those annoying things called facts LOL So glad moved to Australia where people actually care about their fellow citizen. and engage brain before opening mouth

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't see where I wrote all those things you said I said, like favoring the elimination of major government departments -- because I didn't. I think you need new glasses or lower dosage meds, because you see things that aren't there.

But you raise an interesting point -- believing that regulations impede our liberty and freedom. "Freedom" implies free from something -- like free of illness; free of chemicals;, etc..

On the contrary, while you may think that imposing pollution regulations reduced freedom, I think it enhances freedom -- I now have more freedom to breathe clean air. Because of other regulations, I have more freedom to drink clean water; eat unadulterated food; not be shot by some looney; and not run out of needed energy, etc.

Health care regulations mean more Americans will be free of diseases and be free of bankrupting medical bills.

So if you are for the expansion of the federal government and regulations, you, by definition are opposed to personal liberty at the expense of federal power. One cannot have a more powerful federal government, which controls more aspects of the lives of the citizens, and suggest that you are a supporter of liberty, because you are not.

When you expand the power, scope, and size of the federal government, you are reducing individual liberties. That makes you, on the scale of things, a totalitarian. Tell me- how does the following INCREASE PERSONAL LIBERTY?

higher personal taxes
higher corporate taxes
EPA regulations on restrictions of land use
regulations banning coal and oil exploration
regulations banning offshore oil exploration
restrictions on gun rights
political correctness in an effort to quell opposition speech
Obamacare
drones patrolling US skies
permission to kill US citizens without trial
expansion of "homeland security" forces
expansion of medicaid

This is the difference between you and I-

I believe individual rights should supercede those of the government
You believe that the rights of the government should be greater than those of the individual

Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Look in the mirror. Obama signed the Patriot Act... and is holding Americans without charges.... and claims he has the authority to kill any American even when they are in the US.

No, it was signed by a so called "Conservative" LOL
That is about as Progressive as it gets
Then add No child left behind. Another government boondoggle

Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Whether it's cigarettes, large sugary drinks, guns, or raw milk, liberals do not seem to be happy unless they're banning something. Whatever happened to the land of the free?

When did imposing your wishes on others become a badge of honor?
Why do conservatives want to ban gay marriage? If they had their wish, they'd ban homosexuality altogether or ship the gays off to a deserted island. Why is that? What happened to the land of the free?

As for cigarettes, I smoke yet I am not stupid enough to think that it doesn't negatively affect my health or the health of those around me. Seriously, you have to be in a serious state of denial or just a sad stubborn SOB to think smoking is not bad for your health & those around you.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:02 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Whether it's cigarettes, large sugary drinks, guns, or raw milk, liberals do not seem to be happy unless they're banning something. Whatever happened to the land of the free?

Conservatives don't have much room to talk, but there is definite hypocrisy on the left. Liberals say they don't want to control people's bodies like conservatives do yet they are the ones wanting to ban tobacco and sugary drinks. Conservatives need to get out of people's bedrooms though before they start criticizing the left for eroding individual liberties. They need to re-read the First Amendment and come to an understanding that just because the Bible says something is sin doesn't mean they can ban it unless there is a viable, secular reason to have it banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyjack View Post
its obvious that libbies are more concerned with the collective good
This country was founded on liberty, not sacrificing freedom for the collective good which is what communism is based on.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:

You can smoke, drink a big gulp and raw milk coctail while shooting of your gun... who's stopping you?

where do you live where you can't get smokes, a coke, raw milk, and a gun?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:

Because THEY know better AND are control freaks.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
The Conservatives want the government to enforce everything that is RIGHT and TRUE. The Liberals want to do the same. The irony is that the corporatists that actually own and operate the country couldn't care less so long as their rights to loot everyone are unchallenged by either politics or a free market. Big money keeps Conservatives and Liberals fighting while they laugh all the way to the banks they own.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
violent video games
Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman led the charge against violent video games back in the 90's.

They brought it back in the 2000's as The United States Family Entertainment Protection Act, co-sponsored by two other Democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies