Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:32 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,128,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
You are wrong. Read the VAWA before you spout off. The 5 year means tested benefits no longer applies once the woman is being protected from a supposedly abusive husband. They ae eligible immmidiately
Yeah God forbid we actually had laws to protect a woman (any woman) from an abusive husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,045,321 times
Oh aren't you angry? Did your personal Umfufu run out on you after you spent countless $$$ bringing her over here? That's good to know. If I ever run into any mail order brides I'll be sure to pass this useful bit of info on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
You are wrong. Read the VAWA before you spout off. The 5 year means tested benefits no longer applies once the woman is being protected from a supposedly abusive husband. They ae eligible immmidiately

Old 05-07-2013, 11:34 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
One of my Filipina friends told me that you will always find a lot of Filipinos living near US military bases. Men in the military are more willing to marry because they get more money for having a spouse, they will always have a job in the military if they chose, the military provides housing and shopping at the px, and the women can do whatever they like when the men are on deployment.
Yep.

Quite honestly, one sees the same thing near the bases here in the U.S a la "An Officer and a Gentleman."

It is the ultimate government entitlement program.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriceP View Post
Yeah God forbid we actually had laws to protect a woman (any woman) from an abusive husband.
As I understand it, VAWA (and DV laws in general) don't require the man to actually be abusive. The woman just has to say that he is. There is no punishment for the woman if she lies.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:35 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,523,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
There is a reason why these guys want foreign women. It's like the joke from Eddie Murphy's Raw. Basically he spoke of finding a wife from the bush who spoke no English because she wouldn't be tainted by American women.

Remember Umfufu?
Eddie Murphy - Raw - umfufu - YouTube
before I met my husband he was stationed in Bahrain. (I hope no one I know recognizes this story.) He met this Ethiopian girl there. Even after he left, he stayed in contact with her and they were trying to find ways to get her out here so they could be together. she told him she didn't want to go back to Ethiopia, because she didn't want to be away from her sisters in Bahrain, but she was willing to go to the USA and be even further away from her sisters. a lot of her story didn't add up, but he was too naïve to admit it to himself. anyways, long story short, he met me and we started getting serious. We were living together and a letter from the state department came saying that they denied his bid for a marriage visa. he told me that they had applied for one before he met me. she called the house one day and he told her it was over.

well guess what? she tells him she had already gotten a visa granted to marry another guy that she was talking to while she was talking to him. these foreign women aren't as innocent and honest as they seem.

and let me add that I lived in 2 cities with a sizeable east African community, San Diego and Las Vegas. You almost never see Ethiopian women living here in the states with black American men. it's like once they get here they're all about preserving their culture.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,784 times
Ill take my anecddotal experience as well as my first hand knowledge of THOUSANDS of married couples over a documentary of lies, propoganda and some pig on the internets hate filled anecdote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
But the documentary wasn't about YOU. So why are you taking it personally? The documentary was about the relationship between two specific people. You and your wife are not the representatives and spokespersons for ALL WM/AF relationships. This film explored the specific relationship between a self-described Asiaphile and the woman that he brought over from China.

I thought that it was very sad when the Chinese bride confided to the filmmaker that she was very embarrassed that the husband was broke and didn't have any money to even buy food, had bill collectors calling him and had to borrow money from his brother.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,128,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
As I understand it, VAWA (and DV laws in general) don't require the man to actually be abusive. The woman just has to say that he is. There is no punishment for the woman if she lies.
Right, because besides being a DV victim, we need to deny protection to these women.

Do you have any woman in your life? (not talking about any prostitute you might frequent, I am talking about a relative). What if this person is being abused and call LE and is not believed? What if she ends up dead?

It is different when the dead is not some prostitute or a mail order bride, but your daughter, mom, or sister.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,609,474 times
I've always been confused by this but why do they say Asian women are exotic... like they're not all human or something. Can someone explain.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:39 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,017,072 times
I've heard many white american men say that white women are demanding and entitled with a 'princess mentality' (i.e. bitchy).

Some are also saying that their white female counterparts are becoming significantly heavier and less attractive by comparison to Asian women.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:41 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
before I met my husband he was stationed in Bahrain. (I hope no one I know recognizes this story.) He met this Ethiopian girl there. Even after he left, he stayed in contact with her and they were trying to find ways to get her out here so they could be together. she told him she didn't want to go back to Ethiopia, because she didn't want to be away from her sisters in Bahrain, but she was willing to go to the USA and be even further away from her sisters. a lot of her story didn't add up, but he was too naïve to admit it to himself. anyways, long story short, he met me and we started getting serious. We were living together and a letter from the state department came saying that they denied his bid for a marriage visa. he told me that they had applied for one before he met me. she called the house one day and he told her it was over.

well guess what? she tells him she had already gotten a visa granted to marry another guy that she was talking to while she was talking to him. these foreign women aren't as innocent and honest as they seem.

And neither are the men like your husband.

It cuts both ways. How was he just soooo in love that he applied for a marriage visa only to quickly drop the issue once another woman came along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies