Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 05:09 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You know, theres somehting just odd about Christie. Forget party lines, he seems to have become the chosen one of the folks that run the two parties. And he's moderated his views accordingly. he could very well be the next POTUS.
But I had a good laugh at mattews being described as a moderate, he's as left wing as they come. But he is a sell out so thats further proof Christie has arranged a deal with the power brokers.
Have him run as a republican but say what the dems want to hear but give the voters nothing of what they want. Thats the winning formula now. Obama is a dem who makes empty promises and rolls over for the GOP on tax issues and military spending so it might be the GOPs turn to have an empty suit in the White House. A BIG empty suit.
Whatever weight loss surgery Christie had, he can still swallow his pride.
You are way off here. He says what he means and means what he says. He isn't afraid to go explain his positions to those that oppose them.
He does what's right knowing full well that not everyone will like it.

He's had a balanced budget every year since he's been gov. It's come with tough choices and some of the choices could have been less so if some were willing to compromise. They made their choices.

A lot of people have changed their views of him in the past couple of years. I will definitely vote for him in November. There's still work to be done but he really wants to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I doubt Christie could win a GOP primary now. I bet he waits until 2020 or 2024 to run as moderate. He could stay in New Jersey and creat a centrist legacy to run on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Chris Matthews talked about that ... electability
Gee, that sounds familiar. Didn't Republicans try to nominate "electable" centrists in 2008 and 2012 with McCain and Romney? Didn't both of them lose? It seems to me that when Republicans hold their noses and vote for someone they don't want it doesn't help them any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You know, theres somehting just odd about Christie. Forget party lines, he seems to have become the chosen one of the folks that run the two parties. And he's moderated his views accordingly. he could very well be the next POTUS.
It is odd how he's so liked by the establishment. I dislike Christie myself. I think he's an incompetent blowhard who talks tough but never actually does anything tough, and especially never does anything that lessens the grip of government oppression. He also has a fondness for licking Obama's boots. Case in point: him giving into the Medicaid expansion, supporting gun control, and his praise of Obama after Hurricane Sandy. You know, when he was prancing about in that tacky shirt downplaying the whole thing and talking tough, ignoring the people who didn't have any power for weeks or months after the event. He also has a penchant for insulting and bullying his own constituents when they ask him any questions or dare to criticize him. As far as I'm concerned he is unfit for the Presidency just by virtue of his personality, but add in his awful positions on the issues and the deal is sealed for me. Obviously I could never see myself voting for Christie, and I'm not even a right-wing nutjob. Given the number of moderate-loving Democrats here, perhaps he'd be better off if he ran in the Democratic primary .

Old 05-08-2013, 06:24 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Gee, that sounds familiar. Didn't Republicans try to nominate "electable" centrists in 2008 and 2012 with McCain and Romney? Didn't both of them lose? It seems to me that when Republicans hold their noses and vote for someone they don't want it doesn't help them any.

It is odd how he's so liked by the establishment. I dislike Christie myself. I think he's an incompetent blowhard who talks tough but never actually does anything tough, and especially never does anything that lessens the grip of government oppression. He also has a fondness for licking Obama's boots. Case in point: him giving into the Medicaid expansion, supporting gun control, and his praise of Obama after Hurricane Sandy. You know, when he was prancing about in that tacky shirt downplaying the whole thing and talking tough, ignoring the people who didn't have any power for weeks or months after the event. He also has a penchant for insulting and bullying his own constituents when they ask him any questions or dare to criticize him. As far as I'm concerned he is unfit for the Presidency just by virtue of his personality, but add in his awful positions on the issues and the deal is sealed for me. Obviously I could never see myself voting for Christie, and I'm not even a right-wing nutjob. Given the number of moderate-loving Democrats here, perhaps he'd be better off if he ran in the Democratic primary .
Do you live in NJ?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:46 AM

945 posts, read 968,596 times
Quote:
That's what Chris Matthews said during his show on MSNBC this evening. Matthews, a political moderate, was talking about the need in our political system for voters to have a couple of good, reasonable choices for high office ... President ... in case their first choice, during the course of a campaign, disappoints them and they'd like to vote for someone else, He said voters hadn't had that opportunity in a while and it would be best for the country if we did.

Matthews continues to demonstrate his balance, talking about his votes for Republican candidates throughout his life, as well as for Democrats, and shows that amongst a sea of left-leaning commentators on MSNBC ... he's the voice of reason.

Kudos to Chris Matthews.
You're lack of understanding is obvious because you think MSNBC/CNN/Fox would have a balanced anchor?

I feel sorry for you, must be brutal to get information through these methods.

"I felt this thrill going up my leg. I mean, I don't have that too often....And that is an objective assessment."

- Chris Matthews

Clearly balanced, clearly

Old 05-08-2013, 07:19 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I stopped reading when the OP described Chris Matthews as a political moderate. Is there anything of substance in the post?
At least we found one of the 5 people who watches his show.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:50 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I like Christie, though I think he is going to stay being the governor of New Jersey, which I think is the best thing for him to do because I think he makes a great governor, but I don't think he would make a good president.
I agree......New Jersey should keep him. No Chris Christie for 2016! He'd probably make "The Boss" VP though

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,478,798 times
Matthews hasn't seen yet how Christie would have to kiss rightist booty to get a nomination. The GOP nomination turns every rational politician into a clownlike character.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
As a resident of NJ, I'd hope Chris Matthews would do more research before saying that.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Christie vetoed that gay marraiage recognition, so I think he is angling for the GOP nomination for sure. This was a good litmus test for him for the cultural conservative bloc in the GOP..makes him more electable for that bloc (even if he runs as a moderate).

Being anti-gay is still part of the GOP platform/agenda, despite movement on the issue by certainindividual GOP politicians. Christie is going to have to play to that platform/ideological position.

For me, since Im gay, this is a deal breaker. But I think for str8 independents Christie could be spun as moderate, sure....

Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
That's what Chris Matthews said during his show on MSNBC this evening. Matthews, a political moderate, was talking about the need in our political system for voters to have a couple of good, reasonable choices for high office ... President ... in case their first choice, during the course of a campaign, disappoints them and they'd like to vote for someone else, He said voters hadn't had that opportunity in a while and it would be best for the country if we did.

Matthews continues to demonstrate his balance, talking about his votes for Republican candidates throughout his life, as well as for Democrats, and shows that amongst a sea of left-leaning commentators on MSNBC ... he's the voice of reason.

Kudos to Chris Matthews.
oh give me a break: he is about as politically balanced as I am, only the other side. He can say what he wants, he would never vote for a Republican and if he would, most Republicans wouldn't vote for that person. Matthews is as far left as they come. I didn't see the program so I can't comment on who is claims he voted for, but if you call him moderate, who do you think is really left other than yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies