Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:13 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Go ahead, let them take their own lives. It will save taxpayers a lot of money if they would.
Not only that,but think of the future lives it may save or keep from being ruined if you let them have the freedom to kill themselves..that's the bad thing,the people whose lives they end up trashing when they get outta jail or the pen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,001,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I prefer that anyone given life in prison or the death penalty just be taken to the roof of the courthouse and pushed off and save the taxpayers the cost of incarcerating them.
What about those who receive the death penalty or life in prison who are innocent?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What about those who receive the death penalty or life in prison who are innocent?
Yes,that does happen and with DNA testing proving innocence on a few case that does make it bad.

I have always thought the best way to handle hardened recidivist thugs would be to fence in a couple thousand acres of BLM land in the middle of BFE and throw them in there and let them make it on their own...look at the millions upon millions of dollars that could be saved...say"you wanna be a gladiator buddy?have at it with the big boys"

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,943 times
Duplicate post

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
There was a case a couple of years ago about a fed ass't attorney general who committed suicide after being caught in a sex
sting operation in Detroit (he lived in Fla). Although he was on suicide watch, he hung himself with a sheet in jail.

Lots of people like him who just can not face up to the enormity and/or scandal of their actions and what they've done. It shouldn't be an option but is difficult to stop if a person is determined enough.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,973 times
I don't feel any one person can stop someone from commiting suicide if this is their last wish.

The person who killed one of my realitives, took her apart limb by limb, removed her organs, wrote on the walls with her blood. Stole her wallet and ate on her money, killed himself in jail.

Ask me if i care, and ask me if i give a damn, my answer is hell no i don't.

Someone who is so distraught that the only thing in which to give them solace is suicide, cannot be stopped. Some may be able to get help, but not all of them. I am sure jail is the same way.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Should Prison Inmates Be Given The Freedom To Commit Suicide?
No. I don't want them to take the easy way out. Plus it denies survivors the ability to confront the perpetrator and hopefully find some semblance of closure.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No. I don't want them to take the easy way out. Plus it denies survivors the ability to confront the perpetrator and hopefully find some semblance of closure.
Whenever we imprison someone for life without parole, the taxpayers are also being sentenced, simultaneously, to life without parole thru funding their imprisonment.

I really think some people with this lock'em-up-throw-away-the-key mentality believe the Chinese are paying for our jails and prisons and it costs nothing! Seemingly, it appears to be an invisible expenditure of our taxes!

Until we run into too many potholes in the street, and wonder why there's no money to fix the potholes!

Alright, let there be some closure and confrontations with the perpetrator. And after that, let him choose if you wishes to live or die!

Tube-feeding inmates who wish to die thru starvation? Now that's just wrong, wrong, wrong!!!

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
The role of the Corrections Officer is to keep the public safe, keep the staff safe and, yes, keep the inmates safe. Letting them off themselves does not keep them safe.

Having said that, I do agree that it does seem like a huge drain on the taxpayers to have to pay for someone who is never getting out. Not all who are in prison are "innocent", meaning, not everyone denies what they have done.

What is the point in rehabilitation if they will never walk outside of those prison walls? What is the point!?

If they want to alligator roll with a sheet around their neck and tied to the base of their sink at night after the guard made his rounds, why should it matter?

I think inmates have way too much going on for them, way too many perks. Some of these prisons are like fricken Holiday Inns. All they need is a damn swimming pool and why would they ever want to leave? Yah, ok, so you have to lock down every so often and that is annoying and you might get stuck with a "roomie" you don't like, for awhile, but other than that? They have it made. They seem to have more rights on the inside than those of us on the outside who have done NOTHING wrong. It's disgusting.

Let 'em do it. Screw 'em.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
You know, this kind of goes along with capital punishment. I was involved in a discussion a couple of years ago regarding lethal injections. Some drugs were going to be discarded by one state because they could cause some pain to those being executed. But there was a shortage of proposed substitute drugs.

And so, what to do? What to do?

I suggested taking those to be executed up to the top of a tall building and pushing them off. I mean, they were going to be executed anyway. Death was inevitable and all appeals exhausted for them. But I got a lot of hits for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies