Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM

599 posts, read 953,608 times

Advertisements

The De-Gendering of Divorce: Wives Pay Ex-Husbands Alimony Too | TIME.com

Too bad some states still view alimony as a male vs. female gender issue instead of realizing that it is harmful to *both* sexes.

Currently, men are the alimony payers 96% of the time, which is shocking. How can women be the higher earners in almost 40% of marriages, yet are only 4% of the alimony payers? Couldn't be any bias there, could there?

Old 05-16-2013, 02:59 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,606,441 times
Of course there is a bias there. Its simple male to female wealth redistribution, which allows consumers to spend more and forces producers to work more. Its what keeps our economy humming and our civilization moving forward. The only way to win this game, is not to play.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Because not all of those 40% are divorced? Or maybe the wife earned just slightly more and everything was more or less equal? Or maybe because both partners agreed that alimony wasn't in their best interest?

When my aunt and uncle divorced he was making more than 4 times what she was and never paid a penny in alimony (or child support for that matter) because that's what they agreed on.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
While it isn't fair that 96% of alimony is paid by men, you're neglecting the fact that alimony is only awarded in 10-15% of divorces (probably because of that equity in salaries,) so the vast majority of divorced men aren't paying any alimony at all.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM

114 posts, read 214,549 times
Thats why I never got married. I got enough on my hands with child support.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
While it isn't fair that 96% of alimony is paid by men, you're neglecting the fact that alimony is only awarded in 10-15% of divorces (probably because of that equity in salaries,) so the vast majority of divorced men aren't paying any alimony at all.
And if your figures are correct, women pay alimony in a whopping .4% of divorces. How is this possible if they are the higher earners 40% of the time?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
And if your figures are correct, women pay alimony in a whopping .4% of divorces. How is this possible if they are the higher earners 40% of the time?
Because they had better lawyers? This has been brought up a bajillion times in a bajillion divorce/alimony threads. Men need to be much more proactive about knowing their rights and advocating for themselves with good representation. They can blame "the system" all they want, but if they sign whatever paper is put in front of them to get it over with they have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,894,931 times
I have to wonder what will happen as more and more women pay alimony. I suspect groups like NOW will change their tune about alimony and other things.

I don't think women should have to pay their husbands in most cases, as I don't think men should either. The only exception I can think of is that one spouse stayed at home to raise the kids and take care of the house. By that I mean they worked hard at home and just didn't want to stay at home and be lazy. Then in that situation I see giving that spouse temporary alimony as they learn a new skill for a job. However someone in another thread brought up people who were too old at that point to learn a new career, like someone in their late 50's or so so this might require a lifetime of alimony but would depend on the circumstances.

I once dated a man paying alimony and it's because his wife was too lazy to work. Their kids were in school and she could have worked (as was young like early 30's)but didn't want to. He resented paying alimony on top of child support, and mortgage. He remarried and his new wife got stuck paying alimony when he lost his job and lazy ex still wasn't working. I would now (and do)bypass a man paying alimony like I do for those paying child support.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Because they had better lawyers? This has been brought up a bajillion times in a bajillion divorce/alimony threads. Men need to be much better about knowing their rights and advocating for themselves with good representation. They can blame "the system" all they want, but if they sign whatever paper is put in front of them to get it over with they have no one to blame but themselves.

Are you actually suggesting that men have worse lawyers 96% of the time? That they are stupid?

Answer this question honestly: If women were the higher earners 60% of the time, but paid alimony 96% of the time, do you think the laws would change?

IMHO, if they ever pay even 20% of the time there will be a massive overhaul of the laws.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Um, because the cases were individual and perhaps most of those women weren't the higher earners of the 10-15% of divorces where any alimony is awarded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.