Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Tell that to the residents of the most populous state in the country.

Hey, it's "just the facts."
I was referring to federal law. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. Obviously some states have more expansive background check laws than the federal government has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 09:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
How do you control guns for criminals?

Pack my own and have one in every room of the house, even in the bathrooms

Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 PM

567 posts, read 1,120,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sorry but that's ridiculous!!!

If my gun is stolen from my home, I need to be liable??? Someone broke into my home and stole my gun, and I need to be responsible for his criminal act???
If your gun was stolen from your home, you would immediately report it stolen. A police officer would come to your house and you would show him or her that a determined, skilled crook managed to break into your gun safe. After making this demonstration, you would officially be in the clear.

On the other hand, "well, uh, you know, just kinda kept it in that drawer there..." That'd be a different story.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
So if someone hotwires my car and uses it in a crime then I should be held responsible?
A car can be used as a weapon, but it is not intrinsically a weapon. Same goes for laptops or pipe wrenches or whatever else.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:16 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Criminals don't obey laws, so there is no sense in making any. They are going to buy guns anyways, so why make it illegal for them?
It's ALREADY illegal for criminals to have guns.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
A car can be used as a weapon, but it is not intrinsically a weapon. Same goes for laptops or pipe wrenches or whatever else.
A gun isn't intrinsically a weapon, it's a tool. There are many legitimate uses for firearms that have nothing to do with shooting people.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:26 PM

Someone asked which thread I was referring to. If I misinterpreted anything, do point out how.

Where Criminals Get Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
A gun isn't intrinsically a weapon, it's a tool. There are many legitimate uses for firearms that have nothing to do with shooting people.
Hunting revolvers and target plinkers aside, I can't think of one handgun that isn't first and foremost a weapon. An AR is great for hogs, varmints, feral dogs, etc., but it is first and foremost a man killer just like the AK or the FAL are. It was born that way.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:07 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
Quote:
I'll bite.

I'm left wing but pro gun, just so you know.

A large number of illegal guns are burglarized from private homes. This isn't going to be very popular, but legal gunowners should be held at least partially liable. Mandatory gun safes. (Even if it's just a modified bike lock bolted to concrete poured into an old tin washtub.) Your piece is either on your person, within 20 feet of you, or locked away. If you don't make a substantial effort to keep your gun secured, and it gets stolen and ends up being used in a crime, you can be held liable. Not like years in prison or anything, but maybe a big fat fine, confiscation of the rest of your guns, or be open to civil action.

Go after crooked gun sellers. They're out there. Redouble efforts to snag them and toss them into federal dungeons for a long time.

I'm not enthusiastically promoting these particular ideas (very mixed feelings), but neither do I think it's impossible to at least make a dent in the number of illegal guns floating around out there in the hands of violent felons.

Edited to Add: Just went through an old thread. It turns out the vast majority are due to crooked licensed dealers (as well as private sales) and that the ATF's hands are tied. Well, shoot. Untie their hands and throw those damned crooked dealers into the dungeon.
if I steal your car, and kill someone, should be liable?

we united their hands we got ruby ridge and Waco, they murdered over a 200 dollar tax they where not allowed to be law to pay...

http://www.youtube.com/wKlsThwd75w

Old 05-19-2013, 04:14 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Someone asked which thread I was referring to. If I misinterpreted anything, do point out how.

Where Criminals Get Guns

Hunting revolvers and target plinkers aside, I can't think of one handgun that isn't first and foremost a weapon. An AR is great for hogs, varmints, feral dogs, etc., but it is first and foremost a man killer just like the AK or the FAL are. It was born that way.
Not until YOU point the gun at a person.

Go after the criminals and do your job to enforce the laws!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This statement was made by Obama back in 2008 before becoming president.

“As President, I will uphold the constitutional rights of law-abiding gun-owners, hunters, and sportsmen…. We can work together to enact common-sense laws … so that guns do not fall into the hands of terrorists or criminals.”

Sounds nice - but how do you do that? How you keep guns away from criminals?

At a point in time, a criminal makes a first offense. Before that, he is a law abiding citizen. How do you take away the right for this person to own a gun when he hasn't done anything?

OK - now the person commits a crime. Is the criminal a felon? If yes- then that person is already banned from owning a firearm - unless a pardon is granted. If no - then there's a process required to be allowed to own a gun.

It's seems like the law is in place already for what Obama stated back then with reference to criminals. Why do we need more control?

Maybe we need to be tougher on the people when the crimes are committed instead of concerning ourselves with the guns.

Maybe we need to act more quickly with regards to the justice system instead of allowing a bunch of time to pass before the court case begins.

Maybe we need to find out how existing criminals get the guns and cut off that supply chain instead of insisting that free people who are not criminals give up our guns. Oh, I forgot - our government sells guns, don't they?
It's quite apparent that Obama talks a great talk, and walks a great...path of cow dung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies