Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:11 AM

57,363 posts, read 26,285,929 times

Advertisements

I think it's important for representatives to spend time passing legislation that is unenforceable,then fight off lawsuits. Doesn't the Town of Nelson have any real problems to address rather than imaginary.

Quote:

Council members passed the ordinance April 1 requiring every head of
household in the town of 1,300 to have a gun and ammunition, but there are
exceptions. The law exempts anyone who opposes gun ownership or has certain
disabilities.

Read more: Georgia town sued over law requiring gun ownership | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why is it sad?
There are numerous things people don't know, or care to know about their state.
Do you know every law about your state?
Can we quiz you?

How patently dumb a comment.
It is sad because it might be an important talking point for or against gun ownership.
It is sad because a citizen of the United States should be aware of the responsibilities of said citizenship, and, IMO, be willing and ready to assume those responsibilities!
As for me, I have a fair working familiarity with the laws of my state which might impact me. I have a copy of the State Constitution right here on my desk for ready reference (Article II, Section 12, Right To Bear Arms: The right...to keep and bear arms in defense of his own home, person and property, or IN AID OF THE CIVIL POWER when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question...). "...in aid of the civil power..." in other words, the state militia, subject to call out at the Governor's convenience!
I also refer to Montana Code Annotated online whenever I need it.
I also have a copy of the United States Constitution and The Declaration of Independence readily available on the desk.
Yes, you can quiz me. I can look it up, if I don't know the answer. what a patently dumb question!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
It is sad because it might be an important talking point for or against gun ownership.
It is sad because a citizen of the United States should be aware of the responsibilities of said citizenship, and, IMO, be willing and ready to assume those responsibilities!
As for me, I have a fair working familiarity with the laws of my state which might impact me. I have a copy of the State Constitution right here on my desk for ready reference (Article II, Section 12, Right To Bear Arms: The right...to keep and bear arms in defense of his own home, person and property, or IN AID OF THE CIVIL POWER when thereto legally summoned, shall not be called in question...). "...in aid of the civil power..." in other words, the state militia, subject to call out at the Governor's convenience!
I also refer to Montana Code Annotated online whenever I need it.
I also have a copy of the United States Constitution and The Declaration of Independence readily available on the desk.
Yes, you can quiz me. I can look it up, if I don't know the answer. what a patently dumb question!
Actually you stated one should know all their laws in their area, thus means you know all your laws in your area and wouldn't need to look anything up....unless you meant you only know all about the gun laws in your area, including the pointless ones.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:38 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually you stated one should know all their laws in their area, thus means you know all your laws in your area and wouldn't need to look anything up....unless you meant you only know all about the gun laws in your area, including the pointless ones.
Going back to the post that started it all, I said:
"Do YOU know the definition of "The Militia" in YOUR state? Do YOU know what the requirements are for those who are members of The State Militia of YOUR state? Are YOU in full compliance with the laws of YOUR state? NOTE: In many states The Militia is NOT the National Guard!"

So, U-life, do YOU know? Remember, I am talking about ONLY the laws regarding the MILITIA in YOUR state! DO you know what your rights and obligations are in YOUR state? Are YOU in compliance with those laws?
As for me, yes, I certainly DO know, and I most assuredly AM in compliance!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:51 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,021,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Republicans have always been big government and only a fool believes their lies about being for small government. They just want it to get bigger in the ways they like and almost always that is in ways which harm the majority of the country's population. At least Democrats are honest.
Now thats funny. Only a fool would believe such a blanket comment.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Going back to the post that started it all, I said:
"Do YOU know the definition of "The Militia" in YOUR state? Do YOU know what the requirements are for those who are members of The State Militia of YOUR state? Are YOU in full compliance with the laws of YOUR state? NOTE: In many states The Militia is NOT the National Guard!"

So, U-life, do YOU know? Remember, I am talking about ONLY the laws regarding the MILITIA in YOUR state! DO you know what your rights and obligations are in YOUR state? Are YOU in compliance with those laws?
As for me, yes, I certainly DO know, and I most assuredly AM in compliance!
I am sure I can look that up if it were important because that is the beauty of having information on the internet. Also, what is YOUR obsession with non-enforced laws?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Georgia town sued over law requiring gun ownership | Fox News

Republicans want small and limited government... my fanny!
Actually by requiring the citizens to own a gun, this would result in smaller government because crime would drop. Who's going to burglarize a home where you know the owner has a gun?

Old 05-19-2013, 09:14 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,959,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually by requiring the citizens to own a gun, this would result in smaller government because crime would drop. Who's going to burglarize a home where you know the owner has a gun?
That's an interesting point.

Does that mean that a home were the homeowner owns a gun has never been burglarized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies