Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,909,670 times

Advertisements

With the neo-conservative right's bizarre fear of foreign languages in the US, I thought I'd impart a few interesting facts about the Spanish language, in this country.

• 28% of New Mexico's population speaks Spanish, 46% of New Mexico's population is Hispanic. So half of New Mexico's hispanic population doesn't speak Spanish. So much for a take-over.
  • Here is some telling information from an Economist article: 23% of young hispanics prefer Spanish to English. Here's more
Quote:
This year, in a joint venture with ABC, Univision will launch Fusion, an
English-language news station. Spanish will persist for some products,
particularly those aimed at fresh immigrants. Yet its relative decline presents
new opportunities
Marketing: The lust for Latino lucre | The Economist

Basically, we're seeing what we saw with other immigrants in Hispanics, except their full assimilation occurs within the 3-4 generation as opposed to the 2nd and 3rd generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
With the neo-conservative right's bizarre fear of foreign languages in the US, I thought I'd impart a few interesting facts about the Spanish language, in this country.

• 28% of New Mexico's population speaks Spanish, 46% of New Mexico's population is Hispanic. So half of New Mexico's hispanic population doesn't speak Spanish. So much for a take-over.
  • Here is some telling information from an Economist article: 23% of young hispanics prefer Spanish to English. Here's more

Basically, we're seeing what we saw with other immigrants in Hispanics, except their full assimilation occurs within the 3-4 generation as opposed to the 2nd and 3rd generation.
4th generation would be 100 years ?
I'm going by the definition of a generation being 25 years.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,181,457 times
Good. We will either breed them into to being American's (english speakers) or deny them from conducting business in this country using a language other than english.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times
They learn English because it maks economic sense (they make more money) just like the waves of immigrants from everywhere else. Just because they are Hispanic or have spanish speaking Hispanic parents does not make them any dumber or smarter than any other group of immigrants or Americans.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Good. We will either breed them into to being American's (english speakers) or deny them from conducting business in this country using a language other than english.
I have seen 3rd generation entering school not being able to speak English.

Grandma was the immigrant.
Child born here and put through our K-12 (some of the teachers at our school taught this person)
Grandchild comes to K not knowing a word of English.

Many of these children only speak English at school, especially if they live in majority Hispanic neighborhoods. Both written and spoken Spanish is all over so this is not an anomaly.

I used to live next to an Hispanic family. 3 generations under the roof but only the kids spoke English when you went to ask them something. I was our HOA secretary so I did have occasion to go there..kids not home and I had to come back.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:12 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,797,461 times
Quote:
With the neo-conservative right's bizarre fear of foreign languages in the US,
neoconservative (n): A liberal who has joined the Republican party.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 PM

63,038 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:

Really? Is that why I hear mostly Spanish being spoken out in public by Hispanics from pre-schoolers thru grandparents? Is that why we keep seeing these ads for bi-lingual employees (meaning Spanish)?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,402,773 times
I was hired at my current job based strongly on the fact that I speak both English and Spanish. Little do folks know the majority...perhaps vast majority... of the Spanish-speaking people I come across speak English too. They are just used to speaking Spanish from conversing with their older relatives.

And hell no I don't tell anyone at work about this. Those who speak both know but we don't say anything. I'm using my skills to my advantage. Just like the conservatives taught me.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM

63,038 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was hired at my current job based strongly on the fact that I speak both English and Spanish. Little do folks know the majority...perhaps vast majority... of the Spanish-speaking people I come across speak English too. They are just used to speaking Spanish from conversing with their older relatives.

And hell no I don't tell anyone at work about this. Those who speak both know but we don't say anything. I'm using my skills to my advantage. Just like the conservatives taught me.

Conservatives? Perhaps you mean a real skill on a job. Spanish isn't a skill per se.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:48 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,347,459 times
This has been a long known fact for people who have lived in heavily Hispanic areas.

I think the stats change depending on how you break it down too. I never, ever, ever met an American born to Dominican, Puerto Rican, or Cuban immigrants (well, Puerto Ricans are not really immigrants) that didn't speak English. Here in Florida, along with Mexicans, those are the four main Hispanic demographics that you come across. I have kind of noticed that Mexican and Americans born to Mexican immigrants grasp English more slowly, but they also come around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies