Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I was hired at my current job based strongly on the fact that I speak both English and Spanish. Little do folks know the majority...perhaps vast majority... of the Spanish-speaking people I come across speak English too. They are just used to speaking Spanish from conversing with their older relatives.

And hell no I don't tell anyone at work about this. Those who speak both know but we don't say anything. I'm using my skills to my advantage. Just like the conservatives taught me.

I had a job that had a lot of Spanish only speakers. I never let my employer know how much Spanish I know because he didn't pay any extra for translating. A couple of the Mexicans usually did it. I told them they were suckers. Using a valuable skill very few people had there and not being compensated for it. But it was their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I don't have a problem with Spanish. It's the most beautiful language in the world, with the possible exception of Italiano. To me English, German, Russian, and the semitic tongues are all ugly by comparison. Even French has its guttural tones and is highly overrated.

Unfortunately bi or mult- lingualism is inherently economically inefficient. It requires a huge commitment of time to learn a foreign language, and that is time that could be spent working on other things. No_Recess in effect admits that he/she got the job based not on the fact that he/she could build a better widget, but on the fact that he/she could build widgets while speaking more than one language.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:32 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't have a problem with Spanish. It's the most beautiful language in the world, with the possible exception of Italiano. To me English, German, Russian, and the semitic tongues are all ugly by comparison. Even French has its guttural tones and is highly overrated.

Unfortunately bi or mult- lingualism is inherently economically inefficient. It requires a huge commitment of time to learn a foreign language, and that is time that could be spent working on other things. No_Recess in effect admits that he/she got the job based not on the fact that he/she could build a better widget, but on the fact that he/she could build widgets while speaking more than one language.
You're way off.

I had to learn Spanish in school. 2 years in junior high, 4 years in high school, had a job where many spoke it, and later in life 3 semesters in college (although I don't count that cuz I was fluent by then).

People pick up all kinds of things along the way that come in handy later on.

Having picked up Spanish is no different than learning how to read maps, change break pads, or program computers. There are formal and informal avenues.

So again, you're way off. Learning Spanish was the building of the better widget. The guys I beat out were either building other widgets (maybe computer programmers) or were doing nothing.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I had a job that had a lot of Spanish only speakers. I never let my employer know how much Spanish I know because he didn't pay any extra for translating. A couple of the Mexicans usually did it. I told them they were suckers. Using a valuable skill very few people had there and not being compensated for it. But it was their choice.
Valuable for what? Did you or they work in the tourist industry or dealing with Latin American countries?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

It's a matter of opinion what if any language is the most beautiful, isn't it? They are just different from one another. I don't see any particular beauty in any certain language. Here in the U.S. unless you are going to be working in the tourist industry or dealing with foreign countries (and even at that English is the global language of business) there is no need for it. The reason Spanish is being pushed is because of the large number of unassimilating Hispanics many of whom are here illegally. So Americans should have to learn Spanish to accomodate them or be discriminated against in hiring practices? It's utter BS!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You're way off.

I had to learn Spanish in school. 2 years in junior high, 4 years in high school, had a job where many spoke it, and later in life 3 semesters in college (although I don't count that cuz I was fluent by then).

People pick up all kinds of things along the way that come in handy later on.

Having picked up Spanish is no different than learning how to read maps, change break pads, or program computers. There are formal and informal avenues.

So again, you're way off. Learning Spanish was the building of the better widget. The guys I beat out were either building other widgets (maybe computer programmers) or were doing nothing.
Learning Spanish is far less valuable than the other "actual" skills that you mentioned.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Learning Spanish is far less valuable than the other "actual" skills that you mentioned.
Skills are situational.

Unless you say I wanna be a mechanic and then learn how to change oil, break pads, then engines and so on.

When I was in 7th grade and started learning Spanish I didn't have a job interview X years into the future in the back of mind. I'm actually pretty good with cars, not at the level of a certified pro, but solid. I picked that up too yet I've never made any money off it.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Skills are situational.

Unless you say I wanna be a mechanic and then learn how to change oil, break pads, then engines and so on.

When I was in 7th grade and started learning Spanish I didn't have a job interview X years into the future in the back of mind. I'm actually pretty good with cars, not at the level of a certified pro, but solid. I picked that up too yet I've never made any money off it.
I don't wish to acquire the so-called "skill" of learning Spanish so that I can pander to lazy Hispanics who refuse to learn or speak English and their illegal invader counterparts. It is a matter of principle to me. Money isn't everything.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Basically, we're seeing what we saw with other immigrants in Hispanics, except their full assimilation occurs within the 3-4 generation as opposed to the 2nd and 3rd generation.
Fourth generation Hispanics speak English. Unfortunately they don't read or write it well enough to graduate from college or in many cases high school. They have joined blacks in the permanent American underclass.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't wish to acquire the so-called "skill" of learning Spanish so that I can pander to lazy Hispanics who refuse to learn or speak English and their illegal invader counterparts. It is a matter of principle to me. Money isn't everything.
(shrug)

I have no idea what to tell you.

I already told you I had to learn it. I wasn't that smart to know in advance it would come in handy. I'm way too lazy myself right now to learn another language.

(Another shrug)

Sometimes you luck out in life. I wish I was smart enough or fell into computers as a kid or had a knack for it like the IT guys do. That would have open more doors for me.

And of course it isn't a skill like welding or dentistry. I know those things are actual disciplines. There's no bigger proponent of society focusing on those who work in natural fields and distinguishing that from paper pushers. It's a resume stuffer. I'm a paper pusher. I'm useless.

Nevertheless, it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies