Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God created people, they chose how to behave. A black person cannot become white, ever, it's not a bahavior.
Gay is not a behavior either...It's an orientation.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Until I start seeing Christians rallying together to illegalize remarriages involving people who left their exes for reasons other than adultery/fornication/sexual immorality,

I call "BS" on the entire "We're against gay marriage because God is" argument.

Matthew 19:9
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Matthew 19:9 KJV - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put - Bible Gateway

Please note that this is a quote from Jesus himself in the bible. How many verses feature Jesus saying that gays shouldn't be allowed to marry? How many verses feature him mentioning homosexuality at all?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:12 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
It's hate filled threads like these that make me very very glad I was not raised christian nor am I one today. The lack of tolerance for others is disgusting considering what the bible sez.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:15 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvocatusCenturion View Post
Romans also says homosexuality is wrong, that is in the new testament...

Romans 1:26-27

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Who the hell cares what the bible says? Half the things in it are either wrong or just plain ridiculous. It is mostly fiction anyway.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why didn't you choose to be gay. Did you try it out and decided it sucked?
You are never going to win a word war with bigots here. As a Christian, the bible has formed a framework for my beliefs, not a list of which to judge others against. I admit, as a kid and a younger man I thought homosexuality was wrong, deviant even. But I have had the good fortune to work with and befriend many LGBT people in my career and have realized they are very little different from me, and their desire to live with those of the same sex and be recognized as a loving respectable couple, doesn't impact or detract from my life one iota.

I think the two things that cemented it for me was I) I married a woman of a different race and religion against the impassioned wishes of members of my immediate family which has caused me some family problems to this day; and 2) I had to work with a man transitioning to a female and one time had to go to her home to give her some guidance on a program she was working on that had a very tight deadline. She had more Star Wars memorabilia than I did. And I had a lot at that time. Kind of stupid to many I'm sure, but it had an impact on me.

I just realized that everyone has a right to their own happiness as long as it doesn't infringe or hurt anybody else. And the government should not have the right to regulate that. If the Catholic Church or the Southern Baptist church refuses to allow same sex marriage, that is their right and I will not argue against that choice. But if your are not looking to get married in those organizations that do not allow it, and instead looking to get a marriage in a religion that does allow it, or to simply get married at a Justice of the Peace, the government and certain people's religious belief should not be able to stop you.

And if you are infringe on a LGBT couple's happiness because it is against your religion, then you are doing harm to them using government policy while They are doing no harm to you. I'm pretty sure Jesus doesn't like bullies.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Here is an interesting read for anyone who feels absolutely sure the bible condemns homosexuality:

Arsenokoités and Malakos: Meanings and Consequences | CLGS

Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And 221 Baker st actually exists. Does that mean that Sherlock Holmes is true?
New Orleans exists too. Does that mean that there really are vampires?
Mt Olympus is real too, that proves the existence of Zeus. Right?

All good fiction has a little truth to it.

Also, I'm not the one saying it is true, you can't prove a negative. But I guess you believe in unicorns since there is no proof that they don't exist.

I can see if you reject God then you need to reject His words. Would it matter if the cities existed if God is trying to tell us how to live and behave? I think the lesson is more important than the history of the bible. After all, Jesus used many stories to teach lessons.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:24 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
God does not recognize gay marriage if He says gay sex is wrong. Now YOU have God contradicting Himself.
Now, how do you know what god wants? Every time someone says god wants this, god hate this, god says this, I want to know how you know, do you hear him? All I can say is that if you are hearing voices in your head, then you are crazy. Keep your god to yourself, keep it out of my life and out of law affecting those who do not believe in your brand of fantasy.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. That must make the person who is unable to have children feel REAL good. I'd imagine they just line up to get into your church.

Do all barren women get a lecture from you and your church on what her purpose in life is? How about the man with a low sperm count? Is he looked down on by God because he can't procreate? Please tell us how that all works. We'll wait. Be sure you tell us the church's line on people over 50 who aren't going to EVER have children no matter how wild the sex in the afternoon is. Not a lot of procreation going on in Leisure World. Are they sinning if they have a quickie after lawn bowling?

BTW: Don't like gay sex? Don't have it.
I couldn't have children. I don't get mad about it. My church is ok with it.

God still wants one man and one woman to be married. That is how nuclear families are created and held together mostly for children's benefit but also for children looking at marriages in society.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Now, how do you know what god wants? Every time someone says god wants this, god hate this, god says this, I want to know how you know, do you hear him? All I can say is that if you are hearing voices in your head, then you are crazy. Keep your god to yourself, keep it out of my life and out of law affecting those who do not believe in your brand of fantasy.
People don't need to hear Him, we have the bible to read what God wants and said.

You don't believe in God so of course you don't believe in what He says, the bible. Millions and millions have through the ages and I don't see it ending anytime soon. At least not until the end of time when Jesus comes again and we won't need the bible since we will have Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies