Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Can you re-read my post? You completely missed the point I made while doing nothing but spout partisan hatred yourself. Someone with your blindly partisan viewpoint is a huge part of the problem today. Again, re-read what I said and post again with less blind emotion and more reasoned thought.

And for what it is worth, I am 100% in favor of legalizing gay marriage and have only voted for one republican in a national election in my lifetime, before you start playing partisan bulls**t and accuse me of whatever rhetoric MotherJones is feeding you today.
LOL. You're the one that's chumping me, writing that I get all of my ideas from MSNBC and Mother Jones. where do you get yours from- Ruch Limbaugh? Out of curiosity, which Repub did you vote for?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Extreme much ?
You can pass as many laws as you want about background checks.
Doesn't mean the bad guys can't get guns.
Biased much?

Since when has predicted level of compliance become a criterion for passage (or not) of a law?

Bad guys of course will ALWAYS be able to get guns.

But why shouldn't they be held responsible when they do?

Or do you favor felons, illegals, psychopaths, schizophrenics, etc. being able to purchase guns like a can of soda?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
LOL. You're the one that's chumping me, writing that I get all of my ideas from MSNBC and Mother Jones. where do you get yours from- Ruch Limbaugh? Out of curiosity, which Repub did you vote for?
Romney was the first republican I have voted for in my life. Re-read my historical posts on this forum if you don't believe me. I have been posting since 2007.

Self-proclaimed republicans and democrats are both essential points of view for this country to run effectively, and the way they approach social issues are both important for the future of the country. That is a point that went completely over your head in my last few posts.

I have personally never listened to Rush Limbaugh in my life. I tried about two years ago and couldn't listen to more than two minutes of his nonsense. If you know what his opinions are, I will defer to you, as I have no clue what he says.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
No offense, but can you please stay "on subject"?
Sorry, I just got giddy with the implications here that politicians actually give a rat's ass about representing the will of the people.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:49 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
A few things. First, if you think that most republicans have an outright hatred of gays and lesbians, you must not know many republicans beyond what MSNBC tells you to think. Second, the republican party will absolutely support gay marriage in the relatively near future. The democratic party is absolutely necessary for this country in that it grows the grassroots ideas and support of policies that can move our country forward. These issues always start at a very local level and spread outward. This is why gay marriage will become legal nationwide not because of actions of a federal government, but because of the growing organic support for the issue. At a national level, on the other hand, a more conservative base is needed. Growth needs to be tempered, change (as good as it might be in terms of idea) needs to be weighted against realism, alternative and consequences need to be considered, and fiscal costs to the country need to be weighed. This means that republicans supporting gay marriage is not a 'compromise of ideals', but the next step in a process that is slower (for good reason) than liberal national political figures would like.

You hint on why a well-functioning government needs liberal politicians at a local level leading to more conservative politicians at more national levels. The fact that people like you blindly see one party as a party that 'hates' a group belies an inherent ignorance of how a healthily functioning government should work, and does nothing but exacerbates problems such as the one you brought up.
I understand the need to move slowly with some changes, however this is a very real issue, with very real consequences, for real people.
I could lose my home, and my childrens home, if anything were to happen to my partner due to estate taxes.
My children could be taken away from the only parents they have ever known if something happened to me as my partner can not legally adopt our children.
My partner could have died a few years ago after an accident, and I wasn't even allowed to sit beside her bed. We even had medical POA for each other.
There is no amount of legal paperwork that I can do that will fix that.

These are very real issues I have to deal with daily.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:15 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,090 times
Would liberal people be ok with having their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters raped if 20% of the population claimed they were born rapists and that there was nothing they could do to fix it? Would this mean society must accept and embrace them for the way they were born?

Old 05-30-2013, 01:20 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Would liberal people be ok with having their mothers, wives, sisters and daughters raped if 20% of the population claimed they were born rapists and that there was nothing they could do to fix it? Would this mean society must accept and embrace them for the way they were born?
Can you tell the difference between two consenting adults, and rape?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I understand the need to move slowly with some changes, however this is a very real issue, with very real consequences, for real people.
I could lose my home, and my childrens home, if anything were to happen to my partner due to estate taxes.
My children could be taken away from the only parents they have ever known if something happened to me as my partner can not legally adopt our children.
My partner could have died a few years ago after an accident, and I wasn't even allowed to sit beside her bed. We even had medical POA for each other.
There is no amount of legal paperwork that I can do that will fix that.
Thi
These are very real issues I have to deal with daily.
This is a very well written explanation. MLK once wrote a paper called "why we can't wait". If you substitute gay Americans in there, it might be a good read.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:02 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Would Republicans embrace marriage equality if 20% of Americans were gay?
Would you embrace theft if 20% of Americans were thieves?

As for gay marriage, - the Republicans will prostitute any of their core values for few votes. They are already pushing for gay marriage.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,238 times
Quote:
I said "hate/indifference". In some parts of this country, it is an absolute hatred for gays and lesbians, so much so that they are brutally attacked. I don't see much proof that the Repub party will "absolutely" support gay marriage unless cajoled to do so in ONLY states where there are Democratic control of House and Senate and Governor. There is a trickle of repub support, but they are NEVER the ones to advance the cause, just followers. Fiscal costs to the country? Really? Don't gays and lesb pay taxes too?!!!! Gays and lesbians pay MORE taxes as a percentage of their incomes, yet receive far less benefits from the gov't. recently, the Repubs kiboshed the allowing of gay citizens to sponsor their foreign immigrant spouse in the most recent illegal immigrant legislation. So much for republican support.
Any proof they are attacked by Republicans? No

Crime statistics show that a gay person is no more likely to be a victim of violent crime than any other person. Less so than some groups.

And singles pay more in taxes and receive far less benfits than marrieds. If you were really about "equality" you would be fighting for hetereosexual singles to get all those benefits too.

It's funny, liberals are always running around screaming about how evil people are for not paying their "fair share.' Then they turn around and are fighting for gay people to get tax breaks. Of course, no one accused liberals of being very smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies