Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 01:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Do you really think people are going to believe that your conservative examples have gone out of their way to volunteer their time to help people just to turn around and insult the people they volunteered to help? You've yet to post anything in this thread that's even close to believable.
Who said they went out of their way to help? I don't know what their motivations were; I just know that they have said disparaging comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 01:36 PM

672 posts, read 811,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
But you can gauge a person based on things they say. For example, if they say "I wish these lazy poor people would quit looking for handouts and get a job" or "I don't want to work with the ESL programs because those people are just illegals" they are probably conservative. (both true events)
Take look at what you stated compared to your first post.
Quote:
I've been involved in charity work even before I could work and I can't say that I have ever met anyone with conservative views.
Your now equating what you consider "volunteering" for certain groups compared to not volunteering at all.

Even someone who may espouse such views about certain programs you may find them giving to those that simply can't provide for themselves.

For example, I know a older conservative person who might state something like that. Matter of fact, I know he would. You will also find him donating money and time to the Lion's club sight program. Driving elderly people to their Doctors appointments for free with a local volunteer program. Helping the handicap. These are all volunteer causes that he wishes to contribute what he can. In the same breath, he has less sympathy for a able bodied man who isn't working. So you might find him volunteering in some other areas.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
As someone who is always objecting to generalizations about liberals, I have to say that I can't believe there is any validity to this generalization about conservatives.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Statistics show conservatives donate about twice what liberals donate.

Religion And Giving: More Religious States Give More To Charity

Religious Faith and Charitable Giving | Hoover Institution

"The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent)."

Conservatives Give More to Charity than Liberals? - Casting Stones

"conservatives gave about 30 percent more money per year to private charitable causes, even though his study found liberal families earned an average of 6 percent more per year in income than did conservative families. This greater generosity among conservative families proved to be true in Brooks’ research for every income group, “from poor to middle class to rich.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/21/op...stof.html?_r=0

"Liberals show tremendous compassion in pushing for generous government spending to help the neediest people at home and abroad. Yet when it comes to individual contributions to charitable causes, liberals are cheapskates."

"Conservatives also appear to be more generous than liberals in nonfinancial ways. People in red states are considerably more likely to volunteer for good causes, and conservatives give blood more often. If liberals and moderates gave blood as often as conservatives, Mr. Brooks said, the American blood supply would increase by 45 percent."

Old 06-02-2013, 02:32 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoreyouknow View Post
you apparently have some very close minded, narrowly focused experience when it comes to volunteering.
+1

Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
I've been involved in charity work even before I could work and I can't say that I have ever met anyone with conservative views... unless they were a cop. Why is this? It could just be the activities I participate in, but I have volunteered for a range a programs from ESL programs to habitat for humanity and not too many people seem to espouse conservative views.

People that work for charities don't seem to be conservative either.
I've done many volunteer jobs in my life for many organizations. And I've never discussed my political views while doing so or had any other volunteer espouse their views. Most of the interaction was with the people being served, not other volunteers and if there was, it was just everyday chit chat not deep discussion.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Did you read that study? I ask because it's only been mentioned here twenty-leven times...
I did, but the post I responded to was early in the thread. Evidently you did read the entire thread, plus had the time to sort out all the posts and count up the links, and then felt it was important enough to write a post about it yourself. What a wonderful, interesting way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:12 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
But you can gauge a person based on things they say. For example, if they say "I wish these lazy poor people would quit looking for handouts and get a job" or "I don't want to work with the ESL programs because those people are just illegals" they are probably conservative. (both true events)
That's how most people spend their volunteer days. They start out at the soup kitchen and call them all bums, and then go volunteer at the animal shelter where they talk about how much the hate animals.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
I've been involved in charity work even before I could work and I can't say that I have ever met anyone with conservative views... unless they were a cop. Why is this? It could just be the activities I participate in, but I have volunteered for a range a programs from ESL programs to habitat for humanity and not too many people seem to espouse conservative views.

Shouldn't you be concentrating on the volunteer "work" you are supposed to be doing instead of worrying about someone else's political views?

Who the hades cares who is what when they volunteer? Honestly you have no good solid evidence that your statement is true and even the tought of the topic itself is beyond trivial and mind blowing.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:22 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:

Your right, I have never seen christian churches do a thing to help people. This has to be one of the stupidest posts on here.

boy scouts, habitat for humanity, overseas misison work, peace corps, etc.. etc.. etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies