Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times

Advertisements

The next logical step is preventing smoking in their residence. Should the government prevent people from smoking in their own houses or apartments if children are present? After all the children spend more time at home exposed to secondhand smoke than they do in a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yet the government provides food to children in school because they say there is no food at home.
Why aren't those parents brought up on child abuse charges ? What are those parents doing with the SNAP money ?
I ate school lunches growing up because often times my parents didn't have enough time to make me a sandwich, but the school lunch also cost me money to get. In the case of lunches for children in poor families, it is nothing more than an extension of SNAP so there isn't any actual child abuse going on.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The next logical step is preventing smoking in their residence. Should the government prevent people from smoking in their own houses or apartments if children are present? After all the children spend more time at home exposed to secondhand smoke than they do in a car.
If you are a renter or live in a condo building, there are already rules against smoking indoors from the landlord or building owner.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 AM

45,239 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If you are a renter or live in a condo building, there are already rules against smoking indoors from the landlord or building owner.
As it should be. Private property owners should establish rules, not the government.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
I ate school lunches growing up because often times my parents didn't have enough time to make me a sandwich, but the school lunch also cost me money to get. In the case of lunches for children in poor families, it is nothing more than an extension of SNAP so there isn't any actual child abuse going on.
That is your opinion.
One thing I'd like to see the government do is to correlate the free lunch kids with SNAP recipients.
Free breakfast, lunch, dinner/snack and open schools in the summer in order to feed them says something is not right with the system.

HUNGER HURTS: Millions of American Kids Go Hungry - ABC News day, children in every county in the United States wake up hungry. They go to school hungry. They turn out the lights at night hungry.
As many as 17 million children nationwide are struggling with what is known as food insecurity. To put it another way, one in four children in the country is living without consistent access to enough nutritious food to live a healthy life, according to the study, "Map the Meal Child Food Insecurity 2011."
In fact, a shocking 49 percent of all babies born in the U.S. are born to families receiving food supplements from the WIC program, according to Jean Daniel, spokesperson for the USDA.

Hungry children at higher risk of poor school performance | MSU Extension
The survey found six in 10 K-8 public school teachers say that students regularly come to school hungry because they are not getting enough to eat at home. Teachers surveyed also said 80 percent of students are coming to school hungry one or more times each week. A majority of teachers say most or a lot of their students rely on school meals as their primary source of nutrition and a majority of teachers who see hunger as a problem believe that the problem is growing.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Just like a state programmed robot
Poor analogy, but I'm sure it's all you can come up with.

Quote:
But if you must step outside because of laws, the government has limited your access
No it doesn't. Stepping outside in no way limits your access to tobacco.

You're really struggling to come up with anything here.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
That's fine but if the building owner wants to allow smoking that's fine too.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,699,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I rather thought this would bring out the twisters and spinners in full force. I was right.

For those who just can't seem to grasp the concept, the whole idea was that the government is limiting a LEGAL activity, supposedly to "protect" a segment of society.
If said activity is so very harmful, WHY IS IT STILL LEGAL? Spin it however you wish, it is still illogical! Instead of passing multiple laws making the LEGAL activity illegal here or over there or beside this person or that person, why not make the activity illegal?
Actually, there are a multitude of answers, but few people picked up on them. The tax revenue is, of course, one answer. No government wants to give up that source of revenue, even though as smokers quit or die the pool is drying up. Perhaps new smokers will take up the slack, but "they" say there are not enough new ones to offset the quitters and fatalities.
Then there are the jobs. No state wants to lose the tobacco industry jobs, from the farms to the processing plants. Of course, the farms could be used to grow food for humans and/or livestock, and the plants are a small part of huge corporations and likely could be converted to better uses.
Yes, there are a LOT of reasons why tobacco will never be outlawed. They will just continue making it more difficult to find an "acceptable" place to use the junk.
Government at its silly best.
Too bad sarcasm and cynicism are beyond the ken of so many...
Or how about I send you a real, woven hat instead of that tight tinfoil hat that you're currently wearing?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's fine but if the building owner wants to allow smoking that's fine too.
You would be hard pressed to find a landlord that allowed smoking in a buildings these days.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:09 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you think the crime related with other drugs is a lot you haven't seen nothing yet if you allow tobacco.
There would be killings to be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies