Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 AM

17 posts, read 22,625 times

Advertisements

Will the high price for a day at the Magic Kingdom slow attendance? Or is it not enough to matter? I think if you were planing to go anyway its not enough to make a difference but it you were thinking you may go, it may be another nail on the side of doing something closer to home. KC has Worlds of fun and Cedar point in OH. Maybe its a boon for these other theme parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:23 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricebirch View Post
Will the high price for a day at the Magic Kingdom slow attendance? Or is it not enough to matter? I think if you were planing to go anyway its not enough to make a difference but it you were thinking you may go, it may be another nail on the side of doing something closer to home. KC has Worlds of fun and Cedar point in OH. Maybe its a boon for these other theme parks.
And if you planned on flying to Disney Obama proposed a tax on your plane trip. Specifically, Obama has suggesting implementing a $100 fee for commercial planes and corporate jets as a sort of “take off” tax – every time they take off.

obamas-plan-for-higher-airline-taxes-sees-not-so-friendly-skies-ahead/

Last edited by eRayP; 06-04-2013 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Will the high price for a day at the Magic Kingdom slow attendance?
I've been reading speculation along those lines for more than thirty years, and it hasn't happened yet. Disney is good at a lot of things, and one of the things they're best at is determining precisely how much what they're offering is worth to consumers.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
I guess Obama needs more money for his vacations.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've been reading speculation along those lines for more than thirty years, and it hasn't happened yet. Disney is good at a lot of things, and one of the things they're best at is determining precisely how much what they're offering is worth to consumers.
Past performance does not indicate future results. I think people my feel the mouse is just getting greedy. I mean the park has paid for itself many years ago. When I fist went in the early 70s it was 9 bucks to get in. Now its 1000% higher? The avg. worker back then made about 18k a year. So if wages kept up with Disney that would put it at 180,000 a year for the avg. worker. Not even quarter of that is what the avg worker today makes. So yes its simple math that Disney is slowly out running the avg. persons ability to afford to go. Put in that its long lines and those who can afford it pay can run up ahead of you ten times by the time you wait with screaming kids to get on one ride. Then you can spend that time to teach your 8 yo what capitalism is really all about.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
I've never been there, and probably will never go due to prohibitive costs of travel, lodgings and admission. I don't feel like spending $1000+ on a vacation so I can stand in line all day.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I've never been there, and probably will never go due to prohibitive costs of travel, lodgings and admission. I don't feel like spending $1000+ on a vacation so I can stand in line all day.
And that is what you will do if you don't go in an extreme off season day. I have seen lines as long as 2 hours. I think people will start to think there are better places to spend money. National parks, places close to home. Why wait in the sun in a line to see some old Mechanical bear sing country songs.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:43 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
I wouldn't pay that much, but I doubt it will hurt attendance. If you get their early and spend a 10 hour day, you're looking at less than $10 an hour for entertainment. How much is a ticket to a lousy 90 minute movie these days?

Honestly, I'd much rather spend a day in the woods on a dirt bike or ATV. But when you factor in fuel costs, travel, wear and tear, insurance, maintenance and depreciation, it's probably far more expensive than Disney. Let alone any broken parts or medical costs!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
I don't see an issue it is a tourist vacation spot/Trap and people pay a few grand to go for 2-3 days so I doubt a $6 increase at the gate will affect there attendance at all due to people already having park passes included in their Flight/Hotel/Park vacation package.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Past performance does not indicate future results.
That's true for mutual funds, but think about it: Would you have employers reset all employees' salaries back to some nominal amount each year? Of course not. You can look at their performance in the past and make a pretty sound judgment about their capability at least into the near future. And that's really what we're talking about here: The capacity for Disney's marketing and sales managers to gather data about the marketplace and make expert, professional decisions about how much what they're offering is worth. That's their job. They have always done it very well. What possible rationale could you have to challenge their expertise, without challenging the concept of expertise in general, without challenging the concept that anyone can ever rely on anything?

Quote:
I think people my feel the mouse is just getting greedy.
Did you simply not read the message you are replying to? I know from personal experience that people have been saying the same exact thing for over thirty years. What cockamamie defense do you have for your implied claim that you're going to be the first person in all that time to be right?

Quote:
I mean the park has paid for itself many years ago.
Are you even reading what you're typing? First: The park costs money to operate, every day. It costs money to maintain, every day. It costs money to enhance and improve, every day. But put that aside. What kind of sucker stops pricing what they offer based on value, just because they've "paid off" something? When you pay off your home mortgage, are you going to go into your boss' office and ask for a proportionate pay decrease? If you've paid off your car when you are ready to buy a new one, will you simply give it back to the dealer as a trade-in expecting no credit toward the purchase of your new car, since you've already fully paid for it? What incredible nonsense.

Quote:
When I fist went in the early 70s it was 9 bucks to get in. ... So yes its simple math that Disney is slowly out running the avg. persons ability to afford to go.
It sounds like you haven't visited the parks since the early 1970s. The parks are as well-attended as ever; they break attendance records practically every year. It took the deepest recession in our lifetime to have even one off year (2010 vs. 2009; 2009 vs. 2008 was still an increase), and since then they've added attendance year-over-year consistently again, just as they had prior to the recession. There is absolutely nothing indication that Disney can expect to see attendance decreases again, short of another deep recession. You're simply making that up.

And moreover, it should be noted that small attendance decreases in the context of a price increase could still be in Disney's best interest: Slightly lower attendance would decrease concession and other associated revenues, of course, but if the reduction is still within the increase in ticket revenues associated with the price increase, then Disney would still win, in that they'd have less wear-and-tear on their facilities. Again: That's just incidental - it's not actually what's happening or what will likely happen. All indications are that Disney will again exceed last year's attendance numbers, and will do so again next year.

Quote:
Put in that its long lines and those who can afford it pay can run up ahead of you ten times by the time you wait with screaming kids to get on one line.
Back in the day (going back those thirty years I alluded to above) we used to call people who posted the kind of nonsense you've posted here "Doom and Gloomers" - folks who find joy in posting utterly vacuous predictions that Disney has (finally) made a mistake. I cannot imagine what kind of satisfaction you possibly derive from being so pointlessly negative about something, but that's your concern. The only person who is adversely affected by your nonsense is you, in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies