Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 11:20 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has been running radio ads for the past four months encouraging those eligible to enroll. The campaign is targeted at the elderly, working poor, the unemployed and Hispanics.
The department is spending between $2.5 million and $3 million on paid spots, and free public service announcements are also airing. The campaign can be heard in California, Texas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, and the New York metro area.
Government runs ads to get more people on food stamps - Jun. 25, 2012

With more people knowing about these programs, supposedly, we could make the hard times easier on many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Programs that those in need don't know about are wastes of money. Beyond that, if those in need remaining unaware of what's been made available to address their needs ends up costing us more than them capitalizing on what's been made available to address their needs, either in financial costs or human costs or a combination of the two, then promoting what's been made available to address their needs is essential.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
The Government should be promoting how to get off of the welfare roles/rolls and help those who are able to become self sufficient.

Better?

Last edited by CSD610; 06-08-2013 at 05:01 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 04:47 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Like this: CalWORKs Home

Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
rolls, not roles. A role is a part you play in a movie or play

To whomever did not sign this comment in reputation..........it was 5:30am (give or take a few), and I had not even had coffee yet, I'll try to do better next time.......really, I will, seriously, no kidding

Old 06-08-2013, 05:40 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
No! And I will say this: I am poor and I work my butt off and I go to school full-time. I've been told I'd be better off quitting my job and getting on welfare so I can receive every handout under the sun. I am a single mom (father walked out on us and refuses to pay child support) and I know how society looks down on me for having a child... But I refuse to sit on my behind and not be productive. I know my hard work will pay off, I will be done with my Bachelor's soon and I will be going to law school next on a scholarship that will cover 90% of my tuition due to my grades.

I believe there is no reason to live off the government if you are able bodied. I think it is a shame that people make it a lifestyle and don't try to better themselves. And the government just ads more fuel to the fire by creating a culture of dependency.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
There shouldnt be any programs that steal from the productive and give to the unproductive, much less one that advertises the fact.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 06-08-2013 at 06:22 AM..

Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Government runs ads to get more people on food stamps - Jun. 25, 2012

With more people knowing about these programs, supposedly, we could make the hard times easier on many people.
Every time I hear one of the those ads and I heard when we lived in NM, I shutter. I don't think people who need food stamps, many do, need to be reminded about how to get them and how many people who are eligible don't know it. No, I do not think the government should be in the PR business to promote welfare programs. Why not run ads pushing programs that will help those on welfare get off or take the money that is being spent on the ads and put it toward the program...

Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
No! And I will say this: I am poor and I work my butt off and I go to school full-time. I've been told I'd be better off quitting my job and getting on welfare so I can receive every handout under the sun. I am a single mom (father walked out on us and refuses to pay child support) and I know how society looks down on me for having a child... But I refuse to sit on my behind and not be productive. I know my hard work will pay off, I will be done with my Bachelor's soon and I will be going to law school next on a scholarship that will cover 90% of my tuition due to my grades.

I believe there is no reason to live off the government if you are able bodied. I think it is a shame that people make it a lifestyle and don't try to better themselves. And the government just ads more fuel to the fire by creating a culture of dependency.
Kudos to you!!

I love to see success stories like this. Your child will be in a better position than you were thanks to your hard work. Congrats on your scholarship! Best of luck in law school. You're gonna do great

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
This government we are forced to live under is a joke in and of itself.

It spends millions of dollars to promote spending billions of dollars on countless unconstitutional programs.

A giant push of the reset button is desperately needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies