Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 08:55 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times

Advertisements

BTW, my UNION shop I work at has a 0.0% government welfare subsidized workforce. All our wages come from the private sector.

See how that works, pay people a decent wage and your taxes don't go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
BTW, my UNION shop I work at has a 0.0% government welfare subsidized workforce. All our wages come from the private sector.

...or you stop providing government money to social welfare programs so that businesses have to pay more instead of exploiting programs that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...or you stop providing government money to social welfare programs so that businesses have to pay more instead of exploiting programs that shouldn't exist in the first place.
My point is that conservatives should love labor unions. They demand their living wages and benefits from their employers, not the government.

I got news for you, this Welfare state we are living in now is a product of your republican thinking. Short term, that is what republicans do. They don't want to negotiate in good faith with their workforce so they pass right to work laws ect and they import cheap labor from across the border.

Now they have to subsidize all this cheap labor through social welfare programs and in the end it ends up costing them more. Idiots.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
what if walmart just shuts down all of their stores? then what, CA will have an even worse unemployment rate. Walmart should do just that, then all the shoppers can shop at more expensive stores. What a great plan.
And if I'm the California Legislature, I call this bluff every single time. If I recall correctly there are about 150-200 WalMart stores in the state of California. Think about how much revenue those stores bring in. Does anyone really think that WalMart would even seriously consider shutting down those stores over this issue?

Old 06-17-2013, 09:19 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
My point is that conservatives should love labor unions. They demand their living wages and benefits from their employers, not the government.

I got news for you, this Welfare state we are living in now is a product of your republican thinking. Short term, that is what republicans do. They don't want to negotiate in good faith with their workforce so they pass right to work laws ect and they import cheap labor from across the border.

Now they have to subsidize all this cheap labor through social welfare programs and in the end it ends up costing them more. Idiots.
I have only voted republican once in my life, so don't lump me in. The welfare state is the product of both sides of the isle. Both sides want to 'win' against each other as opposed to actually accomplishing anything of value. Democrats don't want to negotiate either. Any thought that they do is nothing but ignorant. Cheap labor is a product of social welfare programs and anyone should have seen it coming. Additionally, unions did have a purpose at one point in time, however all they do now is prop up people getting wages higher than they actually deserve. Unions are legal entities (which wouldn't exist without the government) that allow wages to be higher than they should be. They hurt the economy at a macro level to benefit a few people. Hardly something anyone should be proud of.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:

Pretty sure Kroger is unionized and they pay less than WMT. I'm also pretty sure the GOP is opposing, or was, the amnesty bill and didn't Arizona try and enforce the federal immigration law? Yeah, let's blame the republicans. I think where you may have a case is if you were to claim that republicans won't impose penalties on employers that hire illegals or support e verify. Not sure how true that would be though.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have only voted republican once in my life, so don't lump me in. The welfare state is the product of both sides of the isle. Both sides want to 'win' against each other as opposed to actually accomplishing anything of value. Democrats don't want to negotiate either. Any thought that they do is nothing but ignorant. Cheap labor is a product of social welfare programs and anyone should have seen it coming. Additionally, unions did have a purpose at one point in time, however all they do now is prop up people getting wages higher than they actually deserve. Unions are legal entities (which wouldn't exist without the government) that allow wages to be higher than they should be. They hurt the economy at a macro level to benefit a few people. Hardly something anyone should be proud of.
Sorry I made assumptions about your politics, I hate that when people do that to me.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:54 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:

And you don't have to worry about the many other social ills that have to do with keeping people in poverty.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:10 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
California to Wal-Mart: Pay Better and Stop Forcing Taxpayers to Subsidize Your Profits

"Accurate and timely data on Wal-Mart’s wage and employment practices is not always readily available. However, occasional releases of demographic data from public assistance programs can provide useful windows into the scope of taxpayer subsidization of Wal-Mart. After analyzing data released by Wisconsin’s Medicaid program, the Democratic staff of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that a single 300- person Wal-Mart Supercenter store in Wisconsin likely costs taxpayers at least $904,542 per year and could cost taxpayers up to $1,744,590 per year – about $5,815 per employee."
I couldn't tell from the article if this bill was targeted specifically at Wal-Marts in California or any big box stores in California. If it's targeted at Wal-Mart specifically, it is unfair and will not go anywhere. If it is targeted at ALL big box stores, then I support it.

We can't expect these companies to pay good wages out of the decency of their hearts. The government must force them to or fine them if they don't.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:19 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
I couldn't tell from the article if this bill was targeted specifically at Wal-Marts in California or any big box stores in California. If it's targeted at Wal-Mart specifically, it is unfair and will not go anywhere. If it is targeted at ALL big box stores, then I support it.

We can't expect these companies to pay good wages out of the decency of their hearts. The government must force them to or fine them if they don't.
I agree with you that you can't go around targeting certain corporations.

I would be in favor of tax incentives for companies who pay their employees well. If we're going to be subsidizing corporations we might as well subsidize them in an area where we'll get a return on our investment for the people rather than simply investors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies