Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You've missed something very important. The Constitution specifically mentions "natural born citizens," not just "born citizens."
The distinction is between "natural born" citizens and citizens, not "natural" born citizens and "born" citizens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 05:22 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
You've missed something very important. The Constitution specifically mentions "natural born citizens," not just "born citizens."
What would have caused you to hallucinate that I missed that?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A statute cannot eliminate the intent and understanding of the Constitution's Framers.
Exactly. The intent of the "natural born citizen" clause was to eliminate the possibility of foreigners occupying the federal government's administration, and our country's military. Those born with foreign citizenship are NOT "natural born citizens."

There are SCOTUS references to "natural born citizens."

Two, to start:

Kwock Jan Fat v. White (1920), the Supreme Court referred to Mr. Kwock as a natural born citizen. He was born in the United States to a father who was a native-born U.S. citizen, and his mother was a U.S. citizen by marriage

Perkins v. Elg (1939), the Supreme Court referred to Marie Elizabeth Elg as a natural born citizen. She was born in the United States to a naturalized U.S. citizen father, and her mother was a U.S. citizen by marriage.

Furthermore, there is considerable evidence that those born in the U.S. to transient aliens weren't even U.S. citizens at birth at all. In 1857, New York had a code that declared all those born in the state to be citizens except, "the children of transient aliens, and of alien public ministers and consuls, etc." And after the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment, the District of Columbia, California, Montana and South Dakota adopted similar citizenship law language as New York. The states could enact such laws because "transient aliens" were not considered "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States. Connecticut adopted a law that stated, "All persons born in this State... except aliens... are and shall be deemed to be citizens”

State laws such as those were not unConstitutional for the simple reason that they only deny citizenship to those born whom another sovereign claims as its own. To be clear, denial of citizenship to those born owing allegiance to another sovereign conforms with the Constitution. NONE of those state laws were ever stricken by SCOTUS for excluding from citizenship those who owed allegiance to another sovereign.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
It's not name calling, and it's not a tactic.

Rather, it is fact naming.

Live with it.
And again, and again and again. You stopped with the facts a long time ago.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No one asked for your opinion. You claimed the law defined "natural born citizen." Quote that law word for word and post the link, or prove yourself to be a liar.
I was hoping after a couple hour break and an olive branch just asking what you think would get back to the topic. Then I thought maybe you wouldn't be as whacked out as your sidekick.

This forum is for opinions. Final interpretation is done only by the Supreme Court and you of course have nothing from that level.

I do not take orders from someone that thinks debate is calling people names. You can do that all you want. It matters not to me.

You have shown you are not interested in debate so I will put the popcorn down. As far as opinion versus fact, I will say this:

Until a law is tested and agreed upon by multiple appellate courts it is not settled law. Any interpretation of unsettled law by a layman is an opinion. If multiple state supreme courts do not agree, or if a state supreme court does not agree with a federal appellate court, or if two federal appeallate courts do not agree then it goes to the Supreme Court of the United States. Only then can we be sure of something being an absolute at least until the Supreme Law is changed.

That's the way it works. The only difference between me and you (as far as logic goes not of decorum because you have none) is that you rely on only things that agree with you ahead of time. I can provide unbiased links to documents and cases that support what I am saying and you cannot. You have no caselaw to back you up and all of your "research" is bias.

I was prepared to answer your questions and have a couple for you but I'm not going to while being attacked.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The distinction is between "natural born" citizens and citizens, not "natural" born citizens and "born" citizens
Some citizens are born citizens, but not natural born citizens. No naturalized citizens are natural born citizens.

SCOTUS declared Wong Kim Ark "a citizen" at birth because he was born in the U.S. to parents who were permanently doiciled in the U.S. at the time. However, SCOTUS never referred to Ark as a "natural born citizen."

In direct contrast...

Kwock Jan Fat v. White (1920), the Supreme Court referred to Mr. Kwock as a natural born citizen. He was born in the United States to a father who was a native-born U.S. citizen, and his mother was a U.S. citizen by marriage

Perkins v. Elg (1939), the Supreme Court referred to Marie Elizabeth Elg as a natural born citizen. She was born in the United States to a naturalized U.S. citizen father, and her mother was a U.S. citizen by marriage.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
This forum is for opinions.
Yes, but when opinions are contradicted by actual facts, you get called out.

Hence, YOU were called out.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Since the US Constitution recognizes only two classes of citizen (naturalized and natural born) the website he posted was adequate for his purpose.
I do like the idea of discussing this rationally so I will make some comments here.

The statute mentioned is dismissed by the bithers because it does not use the exact words in the Constitution. I already admitted that and stated that this has been a thorn in Congresses side. However, take a closer look at the genesis here:

This is the statute:

8 USC § 1401 - Nationals and citizens of United States at birth

It talks about:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;

(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe: Provided, That the granting of citizenship under this subsection shall not in any manner impair or otherwise affect the right of such person to tribal or other property;

etc.

Why would section (a) exist if it wasn't for the reason to clear up what "natural born citizen is" even though (unfortunately) that exact phrase isn't used? What is the purpose of this statute if it isn't defining naturalized ? Wait, am I saying it's defining naturalized? No. That's impossible. Section (a) cannot be used with naturalized. So why is it there? Is it just to take up space? Was it created randomly by a bored congress?

Then back up. What is higher than the statute:

8 USC Part I - Nationality at Birth and Collective Naturalization

How one be a national citizen at birth not a be natural born citizen? Like you said there isn't a third class of citizen especially one created at birth.

I'd really like to hear what the otherside thinks but without the attacks.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Natural born citizen is not defined by the US Code.

Who is or is not a natural born citizen, however, is.
I'll buy that. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:27 PM

More food for thought...

Obama can’t be a "natural born citizen" because he had (admittedly) British citizenship at birth. So did the (majority… perhaps 100%?) founders of our country. They, too, were British citizens at birth… and they knew that they would not fit the NBC requirement. So… they grandfathered themselves in by a simple 'or' statement in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies