Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
What are YOU doing to solve the problem personally? Let's start there.
You cant even summarize what the problems are, let alone trying to fix them..

Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I believe it. I personally had a friend who was held for a month on felony resisting arrest charges when video evidence later proved the officers were lying. My friend is a vegan pacifist and wouldn't hurt anybody.

They tried to ruin some protesters lives. Luckily there are still many impartial judges in this country.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You cant even summarize what the problems are, let alone trying to fix them..
Go research. Occupy has many resources you can use. Try their official site. Try the original reasons listed when the protest kicked off.

Posters have listed the reasons specifically.

New argument.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM

Very interesting story Claudhopper. From the article...

"Jeff Olson, the 40-year-old man who is being prosecuted for scrawling anti-megabank messages on sidewalks in water-soluble chalk last year now faces a 13-year jail sentence. A judge has barred his attorney from mentioning freedom of speech during trial.

According to the San Diego Reader, which reported on Tuesday that a judge had opted to prevent Olson’s attorney from "mentioning the First Amendment, free speech, free expression, public forum, expressive conduct, or political speech during the trial,” Olson must now stand trial for on 13 counts of vandalism.

In addition to possibly spending years in jail, Olson will also be held liable for fines of up to $13,000 over the anti-big-bank slogans that were left using washable children's chalk on a sidewalk outside of three San Diego, California branches of Bank of America, the massive conglomerate that received $45 billion in interest-free loans from the US government in 2008-2009 in a bid to keep it solvent after bad bets went south.

The Reader reports that Olson’s hearing had gone as poorly as his attorney might have expected, with Judge Howard Shore, who is presiding over the case, granting Deputy City Attorney Paige Hazard's motion to prohibit attorney Tom Tosdal from mentioning the United States' fundamental First Amendment rights. "

Old 06-26-2013, 06:14 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I believe it. I personally had a friend who was held for a month on felony resisting arrest charges when video evidence later proved the officers were lying. My friend is a vegan pacifist and wouldn't hurt anybody.

They tried to ruin some protesters lives. Luckily there are still many impartial judges in this country.
Occupy Wall Street was hijacked by those that own our government to represent a couple that vandalized, wanted free hands outs, crapped on cop cars rather than the truth of the situation.

A bunch of low life thugs dressed up in pigs lipstick that created the housing bubble intentionally with their cronies blessing by pumping up the housing market, creating fraudulent derivatives and selling it off to the suckers in our nation and the world over. They had their ducks in a row to profit handsomely because they are the ones that lobbied for it to begin with.

And the tax payers are still paying for it.
And these cockroaches have the nerve to cry about handouts?

Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Occupy Wall Street was hijacked by those that own our government to represent a couple that vandalized, wanted free hands outs, crapped on cop cars rather than the truth of the situation.

A bunch of low life thugs dressed up in pigs lipstick that created the housing bubble intentionally with their cronies blessing by pumping up the housing market, creating fraudulent derivatives and selling it off to the suckers in our nation and the world over. They had their ducks in a row to profit handsomely because they are the ones that lobbied for it to begin with.

And the tax payers are still paying for it.
And these cockroaches have the nerve to cry about handouts?
They did a great job of distracting everybody from the real issue Occupy brought to the forefront. Instead they somehow made those isolated incidents the focus of the ENTIRE movement.

And some Americans bough hook and line just like always.

Inflation is out of control (people have much less spending power), Bankers who would've been out of a job bonused themselves millions, the Banks foreclosed on American homeowners unjustly and business continues as usual.

One poster even had the audacity to say that the bankers didn't break any laws

Old 06-26-2013, 10:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
European bankers today agreed on steps that would require shareholders and creditors to take losses when banks collapse, instead of putting those losses onto taxpayers.

It's being called "bail in" instead of "bail out" for the banks in the European Union - which now with the addition of Croatia consists of 26 countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/bu...ing-rules.html

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/06/...%2Findex.jsonp

Old 06-27-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
European bankers today agreed on steps that would require shareholders and creditors to take losses when banks collapse, instead of putting those losses onto taxpayers.

It's being called "bail in" instead of "bail out" for the banks in the European Union - which now with the addition of Croatia consists of 26 countries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/27/bu...ing-rules.html

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/06/...%2Findex.jsonp
That sounds like a great idea.

Wonder how much better our banking industry could've been improved if the government allowed the big banks to fall.

Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
Well thought and articulated reply, thank you.

Here's the thing though, what was the Woodstock era movement if not a conglomerate of pissed off kids? Point being that if you formulate a message and a specific cause to rally around..others will follow and the change you want so desperatly that I whole heartedly agree that we need will actually happen.

All I'm saying, and all I've ever said is that Occupy was ineffective and will continue to be so until the organizational structure changes. If you want people to rally to a cause..then give them a flippin cause, not talking points. Our President proved that the power of the next generation is mighty, he did so by giving them something to be passionate about and the tools necessary to get the job done. When someone actually wakes up the sleeping giant that is our Young America..look out.

People are ready to protest, you just have to give them something to protest about.

One last thing, I'm only still talking about it because of how frustrating the missed opportunity was. The American public has a very short attention span and public opinion of our Financial System was at an all time low..we've had like 7 American Idol winners since then so the window of opportunity has closed for now. I'd hardly call that an accomplishment.
What more could have been said or done to bring focus to an Industry that had intentionally stolen from the American public and used our Government to repay itself-and not the citizens that lost their money-the people in power of the corrupt institutions. Protesters have to reach a wide audience and cannot cater to individuals. I think the method was fine-occupying these institutions that are in collusion with the Federal Reserve. 99% vs 1%. Those in power most definitely took note and were extremely anxious to end it. But I do agree that it the end, it was ineffective.

It's not that I've completely lost hope, but since OWS was so easily taken down by our militant police and corporate media I have much less faith in the consciousness and intelligence of the American people as a whole-we are too far gone. And it's Republicans and Democrats.
Obama has proven himself to be yet another political puppet, yet still has supporters. I do hope for justice but I am also planning for the future in a much more individualistic way. People still don't understand, and at this point I only care for those close to me. People will realize soon enough that a Government doesn't need to pay interest to a private international institution to have a currency for it's people. I know Boomers have much more invested in the system and have more to lose, but at least we could've had some control over our direction had we fixed it sooner.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 06-27-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Looks like there's more support from some in positions of power. A prosecutor is fighting to not prosecute peaceful protesters.

Court date is Friday for Occupy Albany case - Times Union

"The protesters include Colin Donnaruma of Voorheesville, charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct, a violation equal to a traffic ticket, as well as Daniel Morrissey and Eric Cantine, both of Albany, and Timothy Holmes of West Chazy, all charged with disorderly conduct.

They were arrested during a June 13, 2012, Occupy Albany march. Soares' stance mirrors his decision to not prosecute the protesters who camped out for several months across from the state Capitol in 2011. He has argued that they are simply expressing their First Amendment rights to peacefully protest.

At a May 24 pretrial hearing in the case in City Court, Soares' chief assistant, David Rossi, told the judge he would not be calling any witnesses and that the office had no plans to prosecute the case."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.