Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:36 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
yeah statist often prefer to live in clusters// ironically they prefer to live in the areas that gave birth to America, that are the battle ground for the bill or rights, and yeah are the most Anti American, Anti freedom, and Anti 2nd Amendment.
This is an interesting point, and I think the reason is that modern liberalism traces part of its heritage back to Puritanism, which was so strong in New England, especially in Boston. When I was a kid 'banned in Boston' was a common catchphrase. If something was said to be 'banned in Boston' it meant that it was risqué or otherwise controversial. Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this that traces some of the history.

Banned in Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 06:47 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times
Companies that like CT like it because of a high concentration of educated workers, similar to MA. Manufacturing companies requiring only limited intellect are rare, and, as others have pointed out, a tiny percentage of our workforce.

While you gun fondlers are calling us morons and idiots -- really, the playground level of behavior here on this thread is starting to remind me of the low-education states like SC and FL -- we personally enjoy our high quality of living, thanks very much. Guns, meh.

I'm sure they're necessary for the folks up the mountains for shooting bears when they attack the family dog, but otherwise, we don't really need them or their itty bitty employers. Trust me, the only people whining about it here are a few inbred types who most likely moved here from somewhere else.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is an interesting point, and I think the reason is that modern liberalism traces part of its heritage back to Puritanism, which was so strong in New England, especially in Boston. When I was a kid 'banned in Boston' was a common catchphrase. If something was said to be 'banned in Boston' it meant that it was risqué or otherwise controversial. Wikipedia has an interesting entry on this that traces some of the history.

Banned in Boston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And after all those centuries founding schools while the rest of the country was wet behind the ears, we're now the among most educated states, which is why we really don't care what the playground set on this board call us.

It also explains our liberalism better than 17th century Puritanism.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,353,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And after all those centuries founding schools while the rest of the country was wet behind the ears, we're now the among most educated states, which is why we really don't care what the playground set on this board call us.

It also explains our liberalism better than 17th century Puritanism.
Thank you for reinforcing my point. Most of those schools started off as religious academies. Harvard and Yale in particular were both Puritan.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Thank you for reinforcing my point. Most of those schools started off as religious academies. Harvard and Yale in particular were both Puritan.
I see where you got your information ... World Net Daily, a well-known font of factual, unbiased information.

A quick look at Wiki shows the facts (also available elsewhere outside World Nut Daily):

Harvard:
Although never formally affiliated with a church, the college primarily trained Congregationalist and Unitarian clergy

Yale:
Yale traces its beginnings to "An Act for Liberty to Erect a Collegiate School", passed by the General Court of the Colony of Connecticut on October 9, 1701, in an effort to create an institution to train ministers and lay leadership for Connecticut. Soon thereafter, a group of ten Congregationalist ministers: Samuel Andrew, Thomas Buckingham, Israel Chauncy, Samuel Mather, James Noyes, James Pierpont, Abraham Pierson, Noadiah Russell, Joseph Webb and Timothy Woodbridge, all of whom were alumni of Harvard, met in the study of Reverend Samuel Russell in Branford, Connecticut, to pool their books to form the school's first library.[11] The group, led by James Pierpont, is now known as "The Founders".

Religion played a role, and these universities led to the foundation of the Transcendentalist movement, the anti-slavery movement, and the beginnings of progressivism.

I suggest you actually study history instead of relying on a 1-hour History Channel summary for your education.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Looks like Nikki Haley must be doing something right.
How do you figure that Nikki Haley deserves credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why not PA?
Why not Tennessee? Why not Michigan? Why not Ontario? Why not Eastern Poland?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,581,431 times
A few posts in this thread show the inferior character of those believing themselves to be superior.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Companies that like CT like it because of a high concentration of educated workers, similar to MA. Manufacturing companies requiring only limited intellect are rare, and, as others have pointed out, a tiny percentage of our workforce.

While you gun fondlers are calling us morons and idiots -- really, the playground level of behavior here on this thread is starting to remind me of the low-education states like SC and FL -- we personally enjoy our high quality of living, thanks very much. Guns, meh.

I'm sure they're necessary for the folks up the mountains for shooting bears when they attack the family dog, but otherwise, we don't really need them or their itty bitty employers. Trust me, the only people whining about it here are a few inbred types who most likely moved here from somewhere else.
man, somebody's butthurt.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, he is simply staying factual. 2,200 jobs in a workfoce of 1.5 million is insignificant. I grew up in Ct, during my teens Remington Arms alone employed at least that amount..each of 3 shifts per day. Many others also created a 5 figure Ct workforce. With automation (2013 gun mfg requires few manhours relative to sale price!!), a fairly low 4 figure headcount could make more guns there now. That automation made it a insignificant job creation force.

Now, unlike that poster, I would not say the rest of Ct mfg is meaningless. They need to retain UTC mfg jobs. They need to retain companies like Schick. But this thread is simply 2nd Amendment absolutists ignoring facts and ranting while trying to claim gun mfg matters for jobs, in a meaningful way. In 2013, it is not a meaningful employment engine.

Case in point (with a Ct hq, mfg in Az) Strum Ruger had 2012 sales of over 491 million, and their present headcount is just 1,441 nationwide, with under 10% in Ct. (Nationally- Strum Ruger is Just 60% of Ct's MetLife workforce before their latest reorg announcement!)

Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Not even close, King. None of us care less about 140 jobs. Trust me, I live here.

Of course you could make something up as you usually do, but we still won't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies