Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 01:58 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adanescobar View Post
ah..the joke makes perfect sense now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
That's why they like three-story houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
many reasons, first because the rate of immigration to Miami is so fast there is still about 45% of the population that doesn't speak English well, so if you want to do business with them you need to know Spanish. 2nd reason, Miami is where 40% of all business transactions between the USA and Latin america occurs. so anyone doing import-export or any kind of international business needs to know Spanish. 3rd, Miami is the HQ for Latin american and spanird companies doing business in the USA so once again knowing Spanish is important. 4th tourism, tourism as you know is big in S.FL and sense a large number of Miami's tourist come from Spanish speaking countries once again Spanish is important.
I haven't heard of many "wet foot, dry foot" Cubans arriving for some time now. How long does it take to learn English? Actually, I do believe that most Cuban-Americans do know English but they don't want to speak it unless they have to and insist they be dealt with in Spanish instead.

You can't use the import-export business as a sole employment opportunity in Miami. I am talking about any regular job as in the rest of America. I know thousands of northeastern Americans vacation in Florida during the winter and most of them don't know Spanish.

Bottom line it is just a sign of non-assimilation. I haven't been to Miami but I have heard it is just Cuba transplanted over there without the dictatorship.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Yeah Anericans tend to the think their racial classification apply the world over
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Actually, in the end, race is really socially constructed.

It's why back in the day (and not so much anymore), if you had a great-great-great grandmother that was black, and allll the rest of your family was white, you'd still be considered "black." Today that isn't the case. It's also why Irish could be considered "not white" in some parts of this history.

It is true that some people take their "one drop" of whiteness of blackness or "otherness" and run with it to the extreme. Like the people who are 1/16th Cherokee Princess attending Pow Wows and proclaiming to be "not white." But really, I think people should be able to identify with what they want to identify. If a 1/4 black person can identify as a "black person," if they want to or feel more connection to that culture, a 1/4 white person should be able to identify as a "white person."

Hispanics pose a problem for a lot of Americans who are not very travelled and only have experience with Mexicans in America - who often come from the Southern, poorer parts of Mexico and tend to be heavily Indian and Mestizo.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Most Cubans are pure white. like my grandfather on my mother's side, He can trance his lineage all the way back to galacia,Spain.
Nah......Not even 50%, at least in Cuba. In Miami you probably have more than half who appear to be white.

I can trace my lineage back to France and the Canary Islands, but I am far from white.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Out of the hundred Cubans Ive met , most were black. A few were 100% black. Some were blacker than most American blacks, with the phenotypes of African Congolese.

Ive met a few whites, but never someone mestizo. Therefore Cuba is a black, mulatto and mixed white country.

I would take the Cuban army as a good example of what Cubans are. In the pics below nearly all of them are either black or mulatto
I read somewhere 60% of Cubans at least some African admixture.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Hispanics primarily Mexicans in the Southwest account for 60-67% of all interracial relationships yearly.
So?

Old 06-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Most Cubans are pure white. like my grandfather on my mother's side, He can trance his lineage all the way back to galacia,Spain.
It's unlikely due to the nature of Spanish settlement of the New World as opposed to British settlement. Spanish settlement was very male dominated the conquistadors had no or very few women with them whereas there were plenty of women in Jamestown and on the Mayflower. So many Spaniards married local Indian women and later when Africans were imported African women. This is why DR is about 80% mulatto for example and many Mexicans are mestizos.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:31 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's unlikely due to the nature of Spanish settlement of the New World as opposed to British settlement. Spanish settlement was very male dominated the conquistadors had no or very few women with them whereas there were plenty of women in Jamestown and on the Mayflower. So many Spaniards married local Indian women and later when Africans were imported African women. This is why DR is about 80% mulatto for example and many Mexicans are mestizos.
Seems them Spanish conquistadores really got around, didn't they? Was there anyone they wouldn't mate with or conquer? Even hundreds of years later those groups they mixed with still speak Spanish rather than their native languages.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:41 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I read somewhere 60% of Cubans at least some African admixture.
This might be a little outdated, but probably not by much:

Quote:
Some observers estimate that over 70% of the Cubans inside Cuba are of African descent. ... In Miami, some estimate that over 97% of Cubans are of Spanish origin. At the very least, 85% of them describe themselves as being white in a recent survey. In New Jersey, there are more AfroCubans among Cuban exiles there.
Source: Race & Identity in Cuba

Old 06-21-2013, 03:01 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I haven't heard of many "wet foot, dry foot" Cubans arriving for some time now. How long does it take to learn English? Actually, I do believe that most Cuban-Americans do know English but they don't want to speak it unless they have to and insist they be dealt with in Spanish instead.

You can't use the import-export business as a sole employment opportunity in Miami. I am talking about any regular job as in the rest of America. I know thousands of northeastern Americans vacation in Florida during the winter and most of them don't know Spanish.

Bottom line it is just a sign of non-assimilation. I haven't been to Miami but I have heard it is just Cuba transplanted over there without the dictatorship.
who ever said it was Cuban immigration? but as to your point the Cuban population has grown from 650k in 2000 to 856k in 2010. However the non Cuban Hispanic has also grown quickly, from 641k in 2000 to 768k in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies