Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM

50,965 posts, read 36,672,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We could pass an alternative bill. Workfare. Want food stamps? Community service for those who qualify.
Every hour of community service= $10.00 in food stamps up 15 hours a week.
There is a lot of trash along our roads and along our rivers.
A lot of graffiti covers too many walls. It is an eye sore.
Good meaningful work can be done to earn those food stamps.
What about the people who are getting food stamps who are working full time already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,146,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanarchist View Post
Its in the article bout half way down. I read the whole thing. Also requires food stamp recipients to take drug tests...its the governments fault people have to use food stamps in the first place,get the hell out of the way and let the economy recover instead of forcing more regulations on it and people who work would not need food stamps to survive.
Our biggest mistake was bailing out the banks.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
I suppose we could do some experimentation with those states that have legalized marijuana. We could test their citizens, and see how much can be saved in food stamps by removing the addicts from the recepients.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What about the people who are getting food stamps who are working full time already?
define full time? 40 hour week?
I used to work 2 full time jobs. I now work a 48 hour average week. Yet I have time to go work on farm equipment for neighbor farmers. I do the work free because they let me hunt. They pay for parts but I easily put in a good 20 hours a week in spring and summer.
There is time if they really want the food stamps.
Come on 15 hours a week? 2 hours a day or put in 6 on a saturday. You people make it seem like it is impossible.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I suppose we could do some experimentation with those states that have legalized marijuana. We could test their citizens, and see how much can be saved in food stamps by removing the addicts from the recepients.
How are you going to test for the alcoholics? Or is addiction okay as long as it's a government-sanctioned drug?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,146,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Gotta have the same standards for people on prescription meds.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
How are you going to test for the alcoholics? Or is addiction okay as long as it's a government-sanctioned drug?
We can argue moral points. As it stands certain drugs are illegal and alcohol is legal.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
define full time? 40 hour week?
I used to work 2 full time jobs. I now work a 48 hour average week. Yet I have time to go work on farm equipment for neighbor farmers. I do the work free because they let me hunt. They pay for parts but I easily put in a good 20 hours a week in spring and summer.
There is time if they really want the food stamps.
Come on 15 hours a week? 2 hours a day or put in 6 on a saturday. You people make it seem like it is impossible.
Well, at my workplace it's usually more than 40, as it's shift work (nursing home) and there is a sign up sheet for extra shifts that is always full....the women I know in this situation of needing help are moms who have deadbeat dads for ex-husbands a lot of the time. Not many people have unlimited child care resources to watch them all week and on weekends, too. Many are also going to school part time in order to try to give themselves and their kids a better life. Now you want them to quit school so they can spend that time picking up trash alongside criminals on the side of the road...and that will somehow equal a stronger American future?

Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM

This thread is filled with post that cry some things cant be done. The fact that versions of workfare has worked in the past and that it it would shut many mouths about handouts. You work for it, you earned it, that means it isn't a handout.
Make the projects meaningful. Cleanup parks, roads, rivers. All need to be done and all make the community a better place.
They work full time jobs. A lot of us do, but yet have time to put in time in volunteer work. Have time to go do a lot of things.
I don't know a single dairy farmer who doesn't work 80+ hour weeks.
My friend has a welding shop. He never works less than 60 hour weeks.
My young friend almost a son to me works 2 full time jobs as a mechanic on one and welder else where. He has 2 kids. He isn't on welfare and is saving for his kids future.
There is time for people to do workfare.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well, at my workplace it's usually more than 40, as it's shift work (nursing home) and there is a sign up sheet for extra shifts that is always full....the women I know in this situation of needing help are moms who have deadbeat dads for ex-husbands a lot of the time. Not many people have unlimited child care resources to watch them all week and on weekends, too. Many are also going to school part time in order to try to give themselves and their kids a better life. Now you want them to quit school so they can spend that time picking up trash alongside criminals on the side of the road...and that will somehow equal a stronger American future?
what % meet the criteria you speak of?
Where I live dead beat dads go to jail. In fact the system is so lopsided as to create deadbeat dads. But that is for another thread.
The argument most post is Walmart doesnt pay enough. Or someone doesn't pay enough. How much should a low skill job pay?
Now there are options some suck, some make life a little harder. Not all work in nursing homes and not all go to school on the side. I would hazard that most don't.
Where I work in a factory we also use an outside contractor that pays $10.00 an hour for doing low skill tasks.
Most of those people also complain and most get food stamps. Very few have second jobs and fewer still go to college on the side. Most are smokers, and most buy lunch in the cafeteria. Go figure.
Workfare won't work for 100% of the people. Show me a system that does. Just like Social Security doesn't pay enough for many to live. It was never meant to be a mainstay. It was meant to supplement what we prepared for ourselves.
What is your solution? Unlimited food stamps? Tax Middle class and up more to pay for it? Only tax the so-called rich? Do these measures build personal accountability?
You mentioned dead beat dads. Who selected those men for breeders? I certainly had no hand in it. Yes they should be punished and made to pay. But if they are bums you can't get money from a stone. Yes make them do the workfare for their children"s food stamps. That works for me, but mommy is working a 36 to 40 hour week she can also spare a few hours of her own time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies