Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This is the network that hoped and prayed that Zimmerman was a white guy. And when they found out he's not, the term "white Hispanic" made its début in the American vernacular.

So, no, they cannot be trusted. Never. Ever. Ever.
You are right about them not being trustable. The term "White Hispanic" has been used for much longer than Zimmerman came on the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Two things are really disturbing about that:

1) When they are lying repeatedly about something that is so easily verified...just what else are they lying about?

2) How many people actually believe that they are a reliable source of information and actually trust what they say?
I think this is the key issue. Most working people do not have the time to go searching for the truth to most news stories and never wonder if what they are hearing is true. I tried a couple of times to get some posters to realize they did not have the story straight; but they kept repeating the story CNN has spun. Until you posted this I did not realize that is where they had gotten their information.

The sad thing is that an innocent man may end up with his life ruined because these news people are busy being politically correct. I hope this doesn't happen. I think the president should pardon Zimmerman if he is convicted because he is as guilty of prejudice as CNN.

Nothing is ever fair and everything happens for a reason but I really feel for Zimmerman in what he is going through just because he cared about his neighborhood and tried to help. That is so sad. "No good deed shall go unpunished."

Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The "media" is not the JURY. The "media" is not even on the JURY. The JURY alone is the "decider of fact" in a trial.......why do you think the attorneys spent so many days questioning potential jurors about their pre-trial publicity knowledge?.
Thanks for clearing that up, Perry Mason.

Quote:
NOW the jury has been selected, and I'm sure they have been instructed by the Court already NOT to read any news reports about this case, not to watch any TV news or other "shows" about this case, not to TALK to anyone, including their families, about this case, etc., etc.
You are correct in what you say, but if reports made no difference, people wouldn't seek a change of venue based on pretrial publicity, and the Supreme Court would not have upheld that as valid.

In Irvin v. Dowd, 366 U.S. 717 (1961), the Supreme Court held that if prejudicial pretrial publicity jeopardizes a defendant’s right to a fair trial by an impartial jury, the trial judge should grant a defendant’s motion for a change of venue.

The Supreme Court has clearly acknowledged that media reports can have an effect on a jury.

Quote:
The "media" is a money-making business. They leave it to you to sort out the different information which is out there about this case, which clearly has been done as pointed out in the OP. Money is "god" these days, followed closely by sensationalism.
I agree with you. This is another example of just that.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
communist? lol, that's surely a joke, right
yes, cnn has become a joke. would you prefer the crappy news network? how about the cypher news network?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Does CNN ever tell the truth?"

If CNN lied at least we could say that there was some thought behind it. The problem with CNN isn't lying, its problem is that CNN has lost its ability to do basic reporting, but that's what you get for using interns as producers and rely more on digital magic than actual journalism.
i agree with this. at one time cnn was a trusted source for news, unfortunately those days are long gone.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:13 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Nothing is ever fair and everything happens for a reason but I really feel for Zimmerman in what he is going through just because he cared about his neighborhood and tried to help. That is so sad. "No good deed shall go unpunished."
He didn't care about his neighborhood or he would have known what street he was on.

He acted on his own selfish self-interest.

He finally made Eagle Scout.

His affectations prevented his entry into the Police Academy.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
CNN is exactly like that old Soviet publication PRAVADA (truth) - When someone says that they are the most trusted name in news...never trust them...When an individual starts off a statement with "Honestly" - they are are usually about to manipulate reality and give you their version of reality...as they want it. CNN ? I look at it once in a while to see what the idiots and liars are doing.
It's PRAVDA, not Pravada.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:21 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post

What's wrong with a little Pravado?

When someone leads off with, "If the truth be known", usually the truth follows.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:35 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
Please quit with the unnecessary grammar lessons. Its obvious you are the type of person who makes themselves look good by tearing down those around you but really save it for work or family get togethers. I read bye that mis spelling like it wasnt there because it didnt effect the intent of the post

Quote:

Old 06-21-2013, 03:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Please quit with the unnecessary grammar lessons. Its obvious you are the type of person who makes themselves look good by tearing down those around you but really save it for work or family get togethers. I read bye that mis spelling like it wasnt there because it didnt effect the intent of the post
It's not a grammar lesson, as it's a linguistics lesson. I'm sorry you don't know the meaning of the term "grammar".
PPAVADA is the name of a facial cream. It does not mean truth in Russian.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Must be my phonics...or how fast you speak...I spoke Russian as a child and maybe what is left of my Russian is a bit off...thanks for the heads my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies