Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:25 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times

Advertisements

Student booted from class for saying

Glad to know that freedom of speech isn't dead in this country..........Yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,736,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

also glad the judge did not reward him any money.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:

It's not about free speech - It's about free thought. You can think what you want...a person can come to their own conclusions about what is acceptable to THEM - In a free society you can not be forced to LIKE what you find unsavory - inferior or dirty. We all think certain thoughts - some are spot on and some need adjustment. I do not accept the use of Prozac...I do not accept the idea of giving a developing child a powerful stimulant called Ritalin...I do not accept open marriages...I do not except vanilla ice cream...I have the right to reject..because I am a free person. Gays for the most part find the idea of having sex with a woman as repugnant...Some straights find gay sex repugnant and an inferior form of sexuality or being...This student did not say "kill the gays" - He stated that he did not accept them...It's like inviting people to a party ...some you invite and some you don't.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:

Reading the article, it just seems weird.

This guy booted him from class for simply saying he doesnt accept gays ? If so, then he was wrong, but the parts after that are what really turns this on its head.

If every student in the class asked, "why dont they have freedom of speech ? " why is that not considered a disruption of the education in the class ?

The kid has the right to say what he believes, but it is untrue to equate the rebel flag to that of a freaking rainbow.

How is the rainbow discrimination ?

Old 06-24-2013, 01:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The teacher significantly overstepped his boundaries. I was glad to see the teacher was disciplined by the school for his unprofessional behavior.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If every student in the class asked, "why dont they have freedom of speech? " why is that not considered a disruption of the education in the class?
The person who created the disruption was not the student, it was the teacher. The student participated in a discussion started by the teacher. The teacher handled the student's opinion very, very poorly. Teachers do not have free license to demand students agree with their opinions, only that they learn the facts required in the class. The discussion was not even academically related. The teacher is totally at fault here - totally. The kid received no money because he was not harmed.

Quote:
The kid has the right to say what he believes, but it is untrue to equate the rebel flag to that of a freaking rainbow.

Both are symbolism for a belief system.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The teacher significantly overstepped his boundaries. I was glad to see the teacher was disciplined by the school for his unprofessional behavior.
He should have been fired, but seeing that liberals run the education system you knew that wasn't going to happen. I just hope when I have kids I'll be able to afford to send them to private school.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Reading the article, it just seems weird.

This guy booted him from class for simply saying he doesnt accept gays ? If so, then he was wrong, but the parts after that are what really turns this on its head.

If every student in the class asked, "why dont they have freedom of speech ? " why is that not considered a disruption of the education in the class ?

I don't agree with the gay flag or the confederate flag, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If you're going to let people fly gay flags, then you have to let people fly confederate flags. You can't only believe in free speech when the person is saying things you agree with.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I think people are narrow-minded and bigoted if they don't accept gays, but they have a right to their opinions just the same as everyone else does.

As long as that opinion is expressed in a polite and civilized manner, the student should not be kicked out of class for it.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Both are symbolism for a belief system.
he didnt say they werent 2 systems of beliefs, he said the second was discriminatory just as the first which is untrue.

The Rainbow is not discriminatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies