Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You don't have one, unless you apply for one. Most people apply when they get their first job, or at least that's the way it used to be.
Since 1987, when the IRS began requiring people provide the social security numbers of dependents, most parents apply for the social security numbers for their newborns at the hospital. The hospital provides the application along with the forms for the information they need for the birth certificates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
OP, where were you born? Where did you live when you got your first passport? If overseas, then did you go through the US Embassy? Where do you live now (approximately)?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:02 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Since 1987, when the IRS began requiring people provide the social security numbers of dependents, most parents apply for the social security numbers for their newborns at the hospital. The hospital provides the application along with the forms for the information they need for the birth certificates.
Okay, things have changed a lot. That is because the SS slush fund is being used far beyond it's original intent, which was a percentage set aside for your retirement.
So why does he need a SS# to get a passport? Isn't mobility a constitutional right for everybody? or should I say an inherent right?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Okay, things have changed a lot. That is because the SS slush fund is being used far beyond it's original intent, which was a percentage set aside for your retirement.
So why does he need a SS# to get a passport? Isn't mobility a constitutional right for everybody? or should I say an inherent right?
Why does he need a passport to be mobile?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
^^ What he said. If you or your parents never applied then you don't have one. You don't need one either unless you want an American license for something. (such as professional license or driver license) Also, remember as a US citizen the IRS wants you to report your worldwide income and failure to do so will result in large fines if they discover you haven't been.
If the OP owes, yes...but I lived overseas for years and while I filed tax returns, I knew American expats who did not file theirs in a timely manner, then would file all of the missing years at once prior to returning to the US. Since no money was owed because they exempted their foreign income, there were no fines or penalties. None faced any tax problems in the years since.

Maybe the law has changed since 2007.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I am curious. Suppose DRBXGOLD comes to the United States, goes to the state he is a citizen of, and finds that his parents never signed him up for SS, so he does not have a SS number. If he goes to his local Drivers License bureau and applies for a driver's license, what does he put in the space marked "Social Scurity Number"?

Does he write NONE? Will they refuse him a license if he does, even if he brings his birth certificate from the state where he was born?
yes. he would have to go to SSA and apply for a SSN. He will then be given a form letter with His SSN on it. That letter can be used as proof of SSN untill his SSN card arives...he then could go to DMV and get a DL.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:18 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
You don't need a SSN in order to get a passport. You don't even need a SSN to pay taxes, however if you want a license of any type then you must have a SSN or show proof that you applied and were denied.

Most people are required to have a SSN because (for the most part) you can't drive or work without a license.

State ID? No SSN required.
Beautician license? SSN required
Driver license? SSN required
CPA license? SSN required
Series 7 license? SSN required
Bar license? SSN required
Medical license? SSN required
Contractor license? SSN required
Trade license? SSN required

Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,032,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
BTW, when Social Security was first enacted in the 1930s, was participation mandatory for citizens living in the U.S.? If you didn't sign up (either at birth or later), were there any penalties?

If it wasn't mandatory then (I don't know) is it mandatory now?
No it has never been mandatory. But you need it for tax and employment purposes. If you don't have one, you can just apply it anytime.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
I couldn't think of anywhere else to post this but its to do with the government so here goes..

I've just got my first US passport... I'm 22... I've always been a US citizen, just never had an American passport, I was raised in London...

Anyway, how do I find out what my SSN is???

Thank you

Contact the social security administration in your area. Try using that computer of yours for informational purposes.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I'm 65. When I went to work as a child I first had to get a social security card to get a paper route job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies