Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
That is an excellent point. Compare 'comparable incomes', not the general population versus NFL players.
Actually teams can carry 90 on a roster in the offseason I believe. It usued to be eighty. They cut it down to 53 by the time the season starts. So double that number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Actually teams can carry 90 on a roster in the offseason I believe. It usued to be eighty. They cut it down to 53 by the time the season starts. So double that number.
I guess true, but I don't think they get the 'big bucks' off season.

Do they still have the 'taxi squads'?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM

No most of the bottom dwellers on the roster get league min which is what I think around 450K depending on how long you've been around of course and not all of it is guaranteed so you gotta make the roster to get the dough. So a team signs some guy to a league min rookie deal or what have you in the offseason to have a "camp body" and they go get in trouble they are lumped in with the guys who will actually make the roster as those evil trouble making NFL players. They have practice squads now is what they're called. 53 man roster and five man practice squad during the season. They surely aren't all saints by any means, their "job" requires them to impart violence on others that you cannot do anywhere else, actually they go commit crimes on the field every sunday. lol

Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
I think the prevalent attitude is that the "jocks" get away with everything and it does have some merit. Mine has played his whole life, as did I back in the day, and his buddies are the same and they are all very good kids and get excellent grades the lot of em. They did get in trouble for doing donuts last year. lol. Of course the coach found out and they were made to pay at practice the next week. Actually these kids around here if they even are found to be at a party where drinking is going on get suspended for a game. So they don't get away with everything. Couple years ago the boys basketball team was in the state semi finals and a couple were out at a party a couple nights before, they weren't drinking but some there were and the AD found out about it and they were sat down for the game. So in some cases they are held to a higher standard which they should be IMO.
I think schools have changed a lot since I was involved in sports...my oldest is in HS now and I know they do hold their feet to the fire a lot more now than back in the day and at least in this area sports fanaticism on the local level has REALLY died down in the past 10 or so years...I don't know if its because there is so much more to occupy people's time now such as cable and sat TV to watch in the evenings or if more just hang out on the net these days instead of going to games or just a combination,but used to everyone in town was at every game...now they are lucky to half fill a place.

I know this is a bit "off topic",but I do think the the "electronic age" is marginalizing just about everything in life these days and the things that used to be important to large sections of the population are now slowly but surely dying off ...I think there'll come a time when the kids will just play sports via video game...the geeks and gamers will be the ass kickers if that ever happens ...steroid injections in their thumbs and chit

Old 06-28-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I think schools have changed a lot since I was involved in sports...my oldest is in HS now and I know they do hold their feet to the fire a lot more now than back in the day and at least in this area sports fanaticism on the local level has REALLY died down in the past 10 or so years...I don't know if its because there is so much more to occupy people's time now such as cable and sat TV to watch in the evenings or if more just hang out on the net these days instead of going to games or just a combination,but used to everyone in town was at every game...now they are lucky to half fill a place.

I know this is a bit "off topic",but I do think the the "electronic age" is marginalizing just about everything in life these days and the things that used to be important to large sections of the population are now slowly but surely dying off ...I think there'll come a time when the kids will just play sports via video game...the geeks and gamers will be the ass kickers if that ever happens ...steroid injections in their thumbs and chit
Now that is funny. I get on the xbox with my kids once in a while and just get decimated. Some damn little 12yo kid I'm playing against is runnign circles around me. I just cuss at the TV and leave the room. lol

Folks around here are still pretty passionate about football. Friday night lights and all. Of course there aren't any blue chip recruits running around here like say in Texas or Florida. I'm sure those kids can do pretty much whatever they want. There is a kid who we play from a neighboring town this year who's one of the top WR's coming out this year. My kid plays corner and will have to guard him. I just told him to hold the whole game they can't throw a flag on every play. lol

Old 06-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Now that is funny. I get on the xbox with my kids once in a while and just get decimated. Some damn little 12yo kid I'm playing against is runnign circles around me. I just cuss at the TV and leave the room. lol

Folks around here are still pretty passionate about football. Friday night lights and all. Of course there aren't any blue chip recruits running around here like say in Texas or Florida. I'm sure those kids can do pretty much whatever they want. There is a kid who we play from a neighboring town this year who's one of the top WR's coming out this year. My kid plays corner and will have to guard him. I just told him to hold the whole game they can't throw a flag on every play. lol
Oh man..don't even go there...I've played "at" every Grand Theft Auto that has came out...thought I was a bad ass at it to because I play it by myself and actually kind of have hid the fact from most..my dirty little secret from the world kinda thang...anyhow,my oldest daughters friend stayed over a few months ago and they came into my room while I was playing...she saw what I was doing and said "cool...I beat that in a ccouple of days"..I was like "bullcrap you did" getting all defensive and stuff...she said she did,so I said "go for it then bad ass" and threw her the controller...jeebus,I wished I hadn't done that...after about 10 minutes I just meekly left the room with them still whipping the hell out of everything in sight and haven't touched it since...I actually think if I admitted it,I may have cried myself to sleep that night

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

You gotta get the cheat codes for that. You can just drop a helicopter from the sky and jump in. lol

Call of Duty I barely make it fifteen or twenty steps and a sniper gets me or a bunch of grenades go off and I'm back starting over again. My kids are running around yelling about how he has ten kills already. I used to be able to hold my own in the sports games but I don't even have a shot at em there anymore either. Back to Pac Man I guess.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

349 posts, read 260,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Can we start a prison team, maybe a set of handcuffs on the side of the Helmet ?

What's wrong with these guys. Can't blame it on lack of opportunity or money.

Too many steroids ?

CBS News: 27 NFL Players Arrested Since Super Bowl « CBS Connecticut
Strange that you would adopt an ancronym straight from the vaults of Storm Front. A coincidence I'm sure....

Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
You gotta get the cheat codes for that. You can just drop a helicopter from the sky and jump in. lol

Call of Duty I barely make it fifteen or twenty steps and a sniper gets me or a bunch of grenades go off and I'm back starting over again. My kids are running around yelling about how he has ten kills already. I used to be able to hold my own in the sports games but I don't even have a shot at em there anymore either. Back to Pac Man I guess.
Lmfao..my wife smoked me on Mrs.Pacman the other night too..I'm worthless.

I do use cheats on GTA and that's what makes it worse about this girl thumping my head like id stole from her...I bet I can mow the damn yard better than her though.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM

Well you better play it safe and not toss the mower her way and say "go for it badass". She may run circles around your yard too. Of course that wouldn't be that bad a thing. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies