Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 07:33 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,120,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

What in the hell is "southern culture?"

There's no such thing. And i don't know why people that happen to live below that imaginary line continue to insist as much.

If there's a southern culture, that means there's a Western Culture, and a Midwestern Culture, and a Northern Culture, and on and on.

The south isn't a special region of this country....it's just another area on the map. Everything there can be found everywhere else in this country.
Not Bojangles. Sorry.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:47 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snardley View Post
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?
The opposite is certainly true as well. I spent a number of years in southern Alabama.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off-beat View Post
The south is currently on par with nazi Germany (arguably worse in some areas) with regard to the severity of its treatment and views of anyone who isn't white, heterosexual and male. It's just that none of it (with VERY few exceptions) is covered in the media in a way that honestly reflects the true causes of it all.

In the south, segregated proms still exist on a widespread basis, gay people can still be (and still are) fired from their jobs (ruining their financial situations and lives as a result), and black people are still enslaved and killed off through various means (including but not limited to incarceration and capital punishment) to a degree unseen in any other region of the nation. These people, to this day, have to fear for their basic rights on a daily basis. White heterosexual males in the south (except perhaps for "carpetbaggers," some specific disliked high-profile individuals, and civil rights workers) have never needed to fear for their basic rights at any time in southern society's entire existence.

Seeing as all of this is established fact- not opinion, not speculation, but fact- this thread should never have been created, and its existence says a lot about the lack of progress the south has made in improving itself. The OP is sitting here worrying about silly things like the south's ego while not even touching upon the bigger issues. Seriously? The egregiousness of it!

And as a side note? It's not just people from the North that bash the south and its people, it's people from EVERY DEVELOPED NATION IN THE WORLD. southerners should branch out a little from their southern surroundings and talk with people from other developed nations sometime. they might learn something! ;D
What a stupid and ignorant answer. Just because you say it's a "fact" and "not speculation" doesn't mean it actually is. Snobby, uninformed elitists like you are the #1 problem in this country. I'm from the north and now live in the south, so I have actual hard experiences that debunk the crap that you have wrote. Do yourself a favor, and stay in Connecticut. If you come down to the south (or hell, most other parts of the WORLD) with your holier than thou atitude, you will get your a$$ kicked.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Northern States have an irrational hatred of Southern Culture. This hatred has NOTHING to do with slavery or the the civil war or racism in general. This bigotry predates the Mason Dixon Line. This bigotry crosses party lines, it is NOT a Liberal vs. Conservative thing. I notice it more in people from PA. It's not just a disapproval, it's a hatred and a contempt, an almost visceral need to bludgeon Southerns to death.

How did this irrational hatred come to be and why is it allowed to continue?
It's just blue state bigotry, get used to it. for some reason, a lib from BAH-stin, Massachusetts thinks those hicks down south, talk funny, and that opens them up to justifiable ridicule.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
These threads that talk about the South often do nothing more than invite people to display ignorance and contempt for the South. However, I think that is primarily because P&OC tends to have the most extreme of personalities that frequent this board.

That being said, I do understand what the OP is speaking about. I went to boarding school in Connecticut coming from the South. The amount of times I was told Southerners were stupid or assumed to be so myself simply due to my accent were too numerous to count. However, not every person I met was that way. But there does seem to be a stereotype that all Southerners are stupid. Where did this come from? No idea but it's what I saw.

There are people down South that can't stand Yankees either (by the way, it's about tone of voice when a Southerner uses the word Yankee and not always an 'insult'). However, just like in the North, not every person in the South believes this. I will say the number one thing that will cause a Southerner to dislike someone is to hear the phrase 'back home, we did it <insert some action here>".
Exactly. If the South is so bad, then why are soooo many Northerners moving there?????

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Exactly. If the South is so bad, then why are soooo many Northerners moving there?????
Because people like a warmer climate

Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
You exaggerate the reality. The general cultural stereotyping between north and south is perfectly symmetrical. Both regions make fun of each other, usually harmlessly, and usually both sides are in on the joke.

See for example the post three above this one where OIC makes fun of the Boston accent... something that New Englanders get and are not really offended by. I know very few southerners with an accent who didn't regularly make fun of themselves. Or go to Fargo, ask about the movie, and watch the response.

But as to the more rare, more specific and more serious recognitions of genuine cultural differences that often bring with them negative impressions, anybody who asks the question as to where it comes from has got to be deeply, deeply ignorant of history. We just observed the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg for god's sake.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 AM

Someone mentioned a "Civil War". While laughable that something idiotic like northern attitudes towards southerners would cause such a thing, I would like to point out that the south produces most of the military force.

In fact, Mr. Off-Beat, Connecticut produces the 3rd least amount of armed forces members based on percentage of population. So before you knock southerners, perhaps you should just ****.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
It's not political. People from the North on both sides dislike the South. Heck, I've seen Northern Racists talk about "stupid" southerners. This is a historical culturally ingrained hatred that has NOTHING to do with a perception that southerners are racists.
I am from the north. I have no hatred for anything southern.
This idea that you can state an absolute based on perception is laughable.

But if it helps you sleep at night, whatever.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:04 AM

107 posts, read 113,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You exaggerate the reality. The general cultural stereotyping between north and south is perfectly symmetrical. Both regions make fun of each other, usually harmlessly, and usually both sides are in on the joke. . .
Well, I don't know what planet you're living on, but on Earth this just simply is not the case. There is TRUE hatred and anger between the North and the South. Real harm is being done. Bigotry is harmful no matter what form it takes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies