Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,553,400 times

Advertisements

"I live in a country generally assumed to be a dictatorship. One of the Arab spring countries. I have lived through curfews and have seen the outcomes of the sort of surveillance now being revealed in the US. People here talking about curfews aren't realizing what that actually FEELS like. It isn't about having to go inside, and the practicality of that. It's about creating the feeling that everyone, everything is watching. A few points:

1) the purpose of this surveillance from the governments point of view is to control enemies of the state. Not terrorists. People who are coalescing around ideas that would destabilize the status quo. These could be religious ideas. These could be groups like anon who are too good with tech for the governments liking. It makes it very easy to know who these people are. It also makes it very simple to control these people.

Lets say you are a college student and you get in with some people who want to stop farming practices that hurt animals. So you make a plan and go to protest these practices. You get there, and wow, the protest is huge. You never expected this, you were just goofing off. Well now everyone who was there is suspect. Even though you technically had the right to protest, you're now considered a dangerous person.

With this tech in place, the government doesn't have to put you in jail. They can do something more sinister. They can just email you a sexy picture you took with a girlfriend. Or they can email you a note saying that they can prove your dad is cheating on his taxes. Or they can threaten to get your dad fired. All you have to do, the email says, is help them catch your friends in the group. You have to report back every week, or you dad might lose his job. So you do. You turn in your friends and even though they try to keep meetings off grid, you're reporting on them to protect your dad.
2) Let's say number one goes on. The country is a weird place now. Really weird. Pretty

soon, a movement springs up like occupy, except its bigger this time. People are really serious, and they are saying they want a government without this power. I guess people are realizing that it is a serious deal. You see on the news that tear gas was fired. Your friend calls you, frantic. They're shooting people. Oh my god. you never signed up for this. You say, **** it. My dad might lose his job but I won't be responsible for anyone dying. That's going too far. You refuse to report anymore. You just stop going to meetings. You stay at home, and try not to watch the news. Three days later, police come to your door and arrest you. They confiscate your computer and phones, and they beat you up a bit. No one can help you so they all just sit quietly. They know if they say anything they're next. This happened in the country I live in. It is not a joke.

3) Its hard to say how long you were in there. What you saw was horrible. Most of the time, you only heard screams. People begging to be killed. Noises you've never heard before. You, you were lucky. You got kicked every day when they threw your moldy food at you, but no one shocked you. No one used sexual violence on you, at least that you remember. There were some times they gave you pills, and you can't say for sure what happened then. To be honest, sometimes the pills were the best part of your day, because at least then you didn't feel anything. You have scars on you from the way you were treated. You learn in prison that torture is now common. But everyone who uploads videos or pictures of this torture is labeled a leaker. Its considered a threat to national security. Pretty soon, a cut you got on your leg is looking really bad. You think it's infected. There were no doctors in prison, and it was so overcrowded, who knows what got in the cut. You go to the doctor, but he refuses to see you. He knows if he does the government can see the records that he treated you. Even you calling his office prompts a visit from the local police.

You decide to go home and see your parents. Maybe they can help. This leg is getting really bad. You get to their house. They aren't home. You can't reach them no matter how hard you try. A neighbor pulls you aside, and he quickly tells you they were arrested three weeks ago and haven't been seen since. You vaguely remember mentioning to them on the phone you were going to that protest. Even your little brother isn't there.

4) Is this even really happening? You look at the news. Sports scores. Celebrity news. It's like nothing is wrong. What the hell is going on? A stranger smirks at you reading the paper. You lose it. You shout at him "**** you dude what are you laughing at can't you see I've got a ****ing wound on my leg?"
"Sorry," he says. "I just didn't know anyone read the news anymore." There haven't been any real journalists for months. They're all in jail.
Everyone walking around is scared. They can't talk to anyone else because they don't know who is reporting for the government. Hell, at one time YOU were reporting for the government. Maybe they just want their kid to get through school. Maybe they want to keep their job. Maybe they're sick and want to be able to visit the doctor. It's always a simple reason. Good people always do bad things for simple reasons.

You want to protest. You want your family back. You need help for your leg. This is way beyond anything you ever wanted. It started because you just wanted to see fair treatment in farms. Now you're basically considered a terrorist, and everyone around you might be reporting on you. You definitely can't use a phone or email. You can't get a job. You can't even trust people face to face anymore. On every corner, there are people with guns. They are as scared as you are. They just don't want to lose their jobs. They don't want to be labeled as traitors.
This all happened in the country where I live.
You want to know why revolutions happen? Because little by little by little things get worse and worse. But this thing that is happening now is big. This is the key ingredient. This allows them to know everything they need to know to accomplish the above. The fact that they are doing it is proof that they are the sort of people who might use it in the way I described. In the country I live in, they also claimed it was for the safety of the people. Same in Soviet Russia. Same in East Germany. In fact, that is always the excuse that is used to surveil everyone. But it has never ONCE proven to be the reality.

Maybe Obama won't do it. Maybe the next guy won't, or the one after him. Maybe this story isn't about you. Maybe it happens 10 or 20 years from now, when a big war is happening, or after another big attack. Maybe it's about your daughter or your son. We just don't know yet. But what we do know is that right now, in this moment we have a choice. Are we okay with this, or not? Do we want this power to exist, or not?

You know for me, the reason I'm upset is that I grew up in school saying the pledge of allegiance. I was taught that the United States meant "liberty and justice for all." You get older, you learn that in this country we define that phrase based on the constitution. That's what tells us what liberty is and what justice is. Well, the government just violated that ideal. So if they aren't standing for liberty and justice anymore, what are they standing for? Safety?
Ask yourself a question. In the story I told above, does anyone sound safe?

I didn't make anything up. These things happened to people I know. We used to think it couldn't happen in America. But guess what? It's starting to happen.
I actually get really upset when people say "I don't have anything to hide. Let them read everything." People saying that have no idea what they are bringing down on their own heads. They are naive, and we need to listen to people in other countries who are clearly telling us that this is a horrible horrible sign and it is time to stand up and say no."
From here: 161719 comments on I believe the government should be allowed to view my e-mails, tap my phone calls, and view my web history for national security concerns. CMV

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 03:36 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
It is reality and we all better wake up .. so sick of everyone just taking it.. No wonder the tea party was hindered.. we are in horrific shape as far as economy. It is a cover up as this administration prints more money. It has to end and it will not be pretty when it all comes down to what is the truth and where we are headed.

There is nothing new about strong armed governments around the world.. We think we can keep freedom but we must realize it is being taken from us in small increments and then we will be a total police state. The press will no longer be able to have freedom and I believe that is happening now.. We don't know who is behind it all but it is there. The direction we are headed in is lead by the democratic party. They are the party of change so that is the party they will use to take our freedoms..

Conservatives want to give the power to the states. Much more healthier than Federal government growing bigger and bigger. We will eventually have many mandates to control us and tell us what we must buy or what we must do. And the people just go along with it... the media is the helper to brainwash the masses and it of course is working.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Ok. This story scared me. Where did this happen at? That's just plain awful, unless it was hypothetical. In that case, OP, you have a talent for story telling. I'm not being sarcastic either.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Ok. This story scared me. Where did this happen at? That's just plain awful, unless it was hypothetical. In that case, OP, you have a talent for story telling. I'm not being sarcastic either.
That also happened with some Occupy people who went to various protests.
I know of one person from another forum who moved because he had participated in several occupy protests and then one of the keystone pipeline protests.

He has posted on this other forum for years and was pretty solid.
After the protests and his arrests the police started cruising by his home and stopping him while driving around town about minor traffic issues. He told us of his concerns.
You know what..there's nothing one can do about it. He had been planning to move more rural and this just made him do it sooner.

I have no reason to doubt his story. And I've left out lots more details and just summarized what occurred over the course of time. I don't think it was paranoia either.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That also happened with some Occupy people who went to various protests.
I know of one person from another forum who moved because he had participated in several occupy protests and then one of the keystone pipeline protests.

He has posted on this other forum for years and was pretty solid.
After the protests and his arrests the police started cruising by his home and stopping him while driving around town about minor traffic issues. He told us of his concerns.
You know what..there's nothing one can do about it. He had been planning to move more rural and this just made him do it sooner.

I have no reason to doubt his story. And I've left out lots more details and just summarized what occurred over the course of time. I don't think it was paranoia either.
Are you kidding??????

Although I don't agree with the occupy movement, I do respect their right to peacefully protest. I will criticize when it becomes less than peaceful also, but to target and harrass someone simply for protesting is dead wrong and very frightening.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:10 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,092,281 times
Please allow me to share an interesting story; recently I became acquainted with a young woman who is extremely bright, articulate and creative. She had been involved in the Occupy Movement while living near the coast here in North Carolina. During the time that she was an activist local police pulled her over several times for no apparent reason. That is, they didn't give her either a ticket or warning for traffic violations or to hand her a repair order for her vehicle. On at least three of those occasions she had witnesses in her car that observed these abnormal circumstances and can corroborate her claim. Oddly enough, when she stopped demonstrating with the Occupy Movement the random stops by the police also ceased. Coincidence?

Old 06-08-2013, 04:15 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Do you think this is a new thing? The feds have tracked activists--liberal and conservative--ever since the days of J. Edgar Hoover. It's just easier for them now with the internet and social media.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Are you kidding??????

Although I don't agree with the occupy movement, I do respect their right to peacefully protest. I will criticize when it becomes less than peaceful also, but to target and harrass someone simply for protesting is dead wrong and very frightening.
Now he was arrested for not leaving when told to by the police.
And he got very involved in it and became an organizer.
He also was one of the vocal ones that ousted that the police had infiltrated the movement.

He was here and was arrested:

APD: Officers infiltrated Occupy movement
In December, Occupy protesters, some of which were from Austin, blocked the entrance of a Houston port.

A group of protestors were charged with a felony because they linked their arms with a device called a "lockbox". They claim Austin Police helped them make it and now they want charges to be dropped.

"Supplying and encouraging these folks in Houston to be more aggressive with their actions," said Cortez. "This man would attend our meetings pull me aside and say we need to do more aggressive actions which he encourage the folks to do in Houston."

Austin Police confirmed Friday undercover officers infiltrated the group to gain intelligence about plans of breaking the law.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:38 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
When things get bad and the money runs out.. no country lending us any more money,, then people will get a smaller amount of food stamps, taxes so high no one can pay them, and all around doing without. There will be chaos and it will not be pretty.. the government will send out the drones and kill the people.. the wealthy will be protected but the poor will be trampled on.

The government will first protect the rich neighborhoods and the little people will be a hindrance. Do not say it will not come to this... take a look at Greece and other countries with high unemployment and banks holding assets.

They could take all benefits away in an instant. Banks could freeze your assets and you will have no recourse. This world is changing and it sure isn't getting better for the American people.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,462,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Please allow me to share an interesting story; recently I became acquainted with a young woman who is extremely bright, articulate and creative. She had been involved in the Occupy Movement while living near the coast here in North Carolina. During the time that she was an activist local police pulled her over several times for no apparent reason. That is, they didn't give her either a ticket or warning for traffic violations or to hand her a repair order for her vehicle. On at least three of those occasions she had witnesses in her car that observed these abnormal circumstances and can corroborate her claim. Oddly enough, when she stopped demonstrating with the Occupy Movement the random stops by the police also ceased. Coincidence?
I have similar stories, from a different angle...

One guy was a good friend I went to high school with. Nice, funny, married with 2 kids. Started posting about the vast conspiracy that controlled the world. Started talking about how elves lived on Venus and were in telepathic contact with him about what the human race should do to become free. As he raved more and more his wife and his boss couldn't take it any more, so she took the kids and moved about a thousand miles away after he was fired. He still contacts me on occasion about some super important thing the elves told him about me, and if I just pay his rent this month he will be relaxed enough to convey the message.

My wife had an ex from a ways back who was sure of the conspiracy just about to take everything over and turn the US into a vast police state. We parted ways for a bit, and when he got back into contact...he thought water droplets were intelligent beings and he was the next savior to lead us from tyranny with their help. He, of course, was looking for funding to start the movement. He is now in a locked psych ward somewhere in the Southwest.

Another guy was the maintenance man at our college apartment. One day he decided the government was just about to take over, quit his job and took his wife and kid into the Oregon mountains to wait it out. She got fed up with it after a few months and left him. He came back briefly to ask us to join him, or at least help to get a new truck.

Another woman who was a neighbor thought of the vast conspiracy about to take over. She also believed that there was a radio implanted in her head by her dentist that told her the secret plans of the CIA. We found out she killed herself by jumping off a bridge, because the voices got too loud, from her kids cleaning out her condo.

Another girl we met briefly was convinced the conspiracy was about to take over, with a multi-dimensional vampire at it's head that she used to date in a previous life. We heard that and got the hell away from her ASAP.

We saw a man in college, never actually met him, that was convinced there was a vast conspiracy about to happen. He would rave on the street corner across from the college, and ride the commuter buses every once and while. We would see him on the bus shouting at his foot because it had done something wrong to him, and was hindering him. I am pretty sure he was crazy, or a PhD psychology student...but I never found out.

There are many paranoid mentally ill folks around, which there is ample evidence of. This idea of a vast conspiracy by the government about to take over has been around for decades, spouted by those same folks with zero evidence. I think I will believe the option that has evidence and fact on it's side, then the side with a bunch of mentally deranged folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies