Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Women didn't kill themselves 50 years ago? Wow, you are out of touch.
They did but at much lower rates. The article discussing *soaring* suicide rates. You don't think there's a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think it is critical for supporters of anti-women perspectives to continually double-down on such offense, because there really isn't much else underlying what they're advocating.

As it is, the suicide rate among men is typically four or five times that of women, and that's consistent across all races and all age ranges. [Source: CDC - National Center for Injury Prevention and Control.]
According to the article, more women attempt suicide than do men. Luckily suicide is still fairly low but people should probably wonder why the big increase in rates.

Among white men and women in that age group, the suicide rate jumped 40-percent between 1999 and 2010. And three times more women than men attempt suicide.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,164,539 times
I will catch it from both sides by saying this, but you need to be able to push through these things. Yes, absolutely seek some help, but you don't see the abject poor in the slums of Rio exclaiming, "I just can't take it anymore." For that matter, you rarely hear the working poor in our cities say that. It's usually a suburban, middle-class white person, saying these things.

Look at the suicide rates by country worldwide. For God's sake, Greenland, let me repeat that, Greenland is number one.Yes some poor East European countries at the top, but also countries like Japan, South Korea, Belgium and Finland. At the bottom are a bunch of Caribbean and Latin American countries, many of them anything but wealthy. This is primarily a problem among white people

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,176,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- then what do you think is the problem? The feminists won, abortions are very easy and plentiful, more women today go to college than do men, more women are in the workplace than ever before, women are often earning more money than men --- so why the high suicide rates?
I don't know malamute, since you're so concerned, why don't you get out there & do some research instead of posting petty insults on here? Are you unaware of men committing suicide? Why don't you start snickering at that?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I don't know malamute, since you're so concerned, why don't you get out there & do some research instead of posting petty insults on here? Are you unaware of men committing suicide? Why don't you start snickering at that?
I'm not snickering -- nor am I trying to deny there might be a problem as some are.

You obviously don't think there is a problem, I think there is but I don't think it's menopause or empty nest because that simply explains nothing. Women in other countries have that -- they're not killing themselves.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I will catch it from both sides by saying this, but you need to be able to push through these things. Yes, absolutely seek some help, but you don't see the abject poor in the slums of Rio exclaiming, "I just can't take it anymore." For that matter, you rarely hear the working poor in our cities say that. It's usually a suburban, middle-class white person, saying these things.

Look at the suicide rates by country worldwide. For God's sake, Greenland, let me repeat that, Greenland is number one.Yes some poor East European countries at the top, but also countries like Japan, South Korea, Belgium and Finland. At the bottom are a bunch of Caribbean and Latin American countries, many of them anything but wealthy. This is primarily a problem among white people
That's a good point, women in poorer countries don't have the high suicide rates (nor do the men) that we have here. All our riches, all our easy life -- it's not making people happy.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:55 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,176,108 times
Quote:
I'm not snickering -- nor am I trying to deny there might be a problem as some are.

You obviously don't think there is a problem, I think there is but I don't think it's menopause or empty nest because that simply explains nothing. Women in other countries have that -- they're not killing themselves.
Yes, you certainly are snickering, starting with your poke about feminism. Why are men so afraid of women? It's truly bizarre.

Maybe it is the prescription drugs, I don't know. I remember my doctor gave me a free trial of Welbutrin to help me quit smoking, it's supposed to be a good drug to use to quit. I took it for a week & quit because the drug was actually making me feel down. I don't know how that can be since it's supposed to be an anti-depressant but that's what happened to me.

Other than that, I have no idea what the cause is but I'm certainly not going to make any smart a** comments about the state of women OR men who have caved to suicide.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:59 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,164,539 times
Quote:
That's a good point, women in poorer countries don't have the high suicide rates (nor do the men) that we have here. All our riches, all our easy life -- it's not making people happy.
Here's a study dealing with just that: http://www.frbsf.org/economic-resear.../wp12-16bk.pdf

Apparently, the cut-off is about $75,000. Going above that does not result in any greater happiness for most people.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,592,719 times
Quote:
Although suicide rates are growing among both middle-aged men and women, far
more men take their own lives. The suicide rate for middle-aged men was 27.3
deaths per 100,000, while for women it was 8.1 deaths per 100,000.

Suicide rates can be difficult to interpret because of variations in the way
local officials report causes of death.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/he...n-us.html?_r=0

Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Yes, you certainly are snickering, starting with your poke about feminism. Why are men so afraid of women? It's truly bizarre.

Maybe it is the prescription drugs, I don't know. I remember my doctor gave me a free trial of Welbutrin to help me quit smoking, it's supposed to be a good drug to use to quit. I took it for a week & quit because the drug was actually making me feel down. I don't know how that can be since it's supposed to be an anti-depressant but that's what happened to me.

Other than that, I have no idea what the cause is but I'm certainly not going to make any smart a** comments about the state of women OR men who have caved to suicide.
Yes, I'll snicker about feminism -- but I'm not snickering about suicides and unhappiness.

Women should be happier than ever if you believe the feminists. More are juggling work and family, more are living without spouses, more are wage earners, more have had abortions -- easily got rid of any of their inconvenient children -- but why aren't they happy?

Why are they running to get on drugs in the first place? They're pretty miserable already if they feel the need to be drugged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies