Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
So you are insinuating that suicide is rare in impoverished countries? Well you'd be wrong.

WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. You are posting on an internet board too!
I never insinuated any such thing, I merely commented on the differences I observed in an impoverished society vs. a highly developed society.

I know I post on an internet board, how else could I communicate with you? I doubt I see you at my local library

I am also a victim of our society, I also use text and computer because there are so few other venues to interact with people these days as I don't frequent the local bars.

I am lucky to have lifelong friends and family close by I can count on for support if I need, but I work with folks that don't and see their isolation through divorce or having moved for a job and being away from their families and friends of their youth.
Many have few interactions outside of work.

I am no authority, just pointing out what I have observed after spending years traveling all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I never insinuated any such thing, I merely commented on the differences I observed in an impoverished society vs. a highly developed society.

I know I post on an internet board, how else could I communicate with you? I doubt I see you at my local library

I am also a victim of our society, I also use text and computer because there are so few other venues to interact with people these days as I don't frequent the local bars.

I am lucky to have lifelong friends and family close by I can count on for support if I need, but I work with folks that don't and see their isolation through divorce or having moved for a job and being away from their families and friends of their youth.

I am no authority, just pointing out what I have observed after spending years traveling all over the world.
No comment on the links I posted?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh wow. You need to read up on depression, seriously. And maybe start reading the links the other posters on here are providing. I suspect however, this thread is just a passive-aggressive attempt to denigrate women.
OK, then rephrase the question - why are more women depressed now than before?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:27 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
No comment on the links I posted?
What, that people kill themselves? Not really.

There are as many reasons that people kill themselves as there are people that do it. It is an individual choice by people desperate for whatever reason and see no other way out.

Some like China, (#7 on your list) may have the overwhelming oppression of a communist government and see no chance for a wife or having more than one child and no chance of improving their lives.

Some like Greenland or Sweden ( Numbers 1 and 35) have long cold dark winters.

Some places like Japan, (#10) have a long tradition of suicide as an honorable way out.

I don't see distinct patterns emerge from the list as the countries go from good income to low income, repressive regimes to more liberty minded.

However, I still believe having a good support system for your life is conducive to having a better chance of avoiding the depression and hopelessness that would bring about suicide.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have a theory as to why that is. I think countries in which families are tight, and I don't just mean ma, pa, and the kids, but the whole extended family: cousins, uncles, in-laws, etc., such as LATIN countries, are places in which people feel more security and love. That, despite governments sucking because they're bad.

Places in which being family is for life, in which the family members are there to help one another, feel a sense of well-being and security despite whatever. These same countries are also countries in which friendships are also very tight and very often last a lifetime. You can't beat all that for a sense of security.

We lack all that in the U.S. Here, it's that old, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps," "individual freedom" (meaning sink or swim, baby), and flimsy, superficial Thanksgiving-only family and friendship connections.

Speak for yourself. Many of us have a self-reliant outlook AND tight family ties. You may not have that in your life, but that doesn't mean others don't. How narrow minded. Maybe that self reliance means we can enjoy our families without holding THEM responsible for OUR happiness. And if you have only superficial friendships, you can probably look to yourself as to why that is (not you personally, but the collective "you".)

Happiness in many cases is a matter of choice. We can choose to be happy, to populate ourselves with positive people, to appreciate the good in our lives.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
[/b]

Speak for yourself. Many of us have a self-reliant outlook AND tight family ties. You may not have that in your life, but that doesn't mean others don't. How narrow minded. Maybe that self reliance means we can enjoy our families without holding THEM responsible for OUR happiness. And if you have only superficial friendships, you can probably look to yourself as to why that is (not you personally, but the collective "you".)

Happiness in many cases is a matter of choice. We can choose to be happy, to populate ourselves with positive people, to appreciate the good in our lives.
You're in good company with that thought.

People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be_______________Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-06-2013, 01:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

You make some good points -- although some people live like hermits and go on living a long isolated life until they die a natural death.

I've never came close to thinking about killing myself, I've been broke, I came inches from losing my house. I've never been in pain, I am close to some who are and who have suffered through numerous major surgeries and one bad health problem after another who were never suicidal and in fact keep on fighting to survive.

The internet actually does provide interaction -- we could all get off it and get in some meet-up group instead or at least on those dating sites or craigslist ads if we thought we were too isolated.

I think a lot does have to do with expectations -- we got what we *thought* would make us happy but it didn't because we thought money and things could make us happy and we didn't learn how to be happy. Well I think I'm actually very happy -- I feel a lot of joy at times, I don't really know why I'm that happy when others aren't . I'm probably happier than an Australian or Latin American.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:10 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You make some good points -- although some people live like hermits and go on living a long isolated life until they die a natural death.

I've never came close to thinking about killing myself, I've been broke, I came inches from losing my house. I've never been in pain, I am close to some who are and who have suffered through numerous major surgeries and one bad health problem after another who were never suicidal and in fact keep on fighting to survive.

The internet actually does provide interaction -- we could all get off it and get in some meet-up group instead or at least on those dating sites or craigslist ads if we thought we were too isolated.

I think a lot does have to do with expectations -- we got what we *thought* would make us happy but it didn't because we thought money and things could make us happy and we didn't learn how to be happy. Well I think I'm actually very happy -- I feel a lot of joy at times, I don't really know why I'm that happy when others aren't .
I have personally never had suicidal thoughts either, it doesn't mean that I'm insensitive to the fact that I don't know how others are feeling, what they are thinking, nor am I walking in their shoes. Saying people you know have never contemplated suicide is silly, you can't say that categorically. Many family and friends of those who have committed suicide will tell you they had no idea. It means nothing more than they had no idea.

Quote:
I'm probably happier than an Australian or Latin American.
Well Bless your little heart!

Old 07-06-2013, 02:14 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Well --- why are women killing themselves at alarming rates today? I doubt women offed themselves in high numbers during the Great Depression when times were really tough. Back when they had to wash clothes by hand and cook meals. What's the point in winning everything if you're completely miserable?
Statistics were not taken as they are today. It isnt just the NSA that knows everything about you...so do research groups and foundations.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
I have personally never had suicidal thoughts either, it doesn't mean that I'm insensitive to the fact that I don't know how others are feeling, what they are thinking, nor am I walking in their shoes. Saying people you know have never contemplated suicide is silly, you can't say that categorically. Many family and friends of those who have committed suicide will tell you they had no idea. It means nothing more than they had no idea.

Well Bless your little heart!
No -- I didn't say everyone I know, but a couple who have it particularly bad with major surgeries and health issues, one in particular, and he fights like hell to live. He doesn't want to die.

I know people at work who tried to commit suicide. One said she tried it at age 15 when she broke up with a boyfriend, her daughter did the same thing but it was just a bottle of tylenol and it didn't work. I don't remember why another said she tried. I try to avoid any conversation of suicide when people bring it up -- I tell them to get real help, I'm not it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies