Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I'll snicker about feminism -- but I'm not snickering about suicides and unhappiness.

Women should be happier than ever if you believe the feminists. More are juggling work and family, more are living without spouses, more are wage earners, more have had abortions -- easily got rid of any of their inconvenient children -- but why aren't they happy?

Why are they running to get on drugs in the first place? They're pretty miserable already if they feel the need to be drugged.
Oh wow. You need to read up on depression, seriously. And maybe start reading the links the other posters on here are providing. I suspect however, this thread is just a passive-aggressive attempt to denigrate women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
True that it can be hard to report -- a co-worker's sister locked herself in her house and overdosed on alcohol and barbituates -- they never knew if it was accidental or intentional, it wasn't recorded as a suicide but many in that family believe it probably was. It as called "accidental overdose of barbituates and alcohol".

Maybe men are more likely to put a gun to their head which really can't be classified as accidental.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh wow. You need to read up on depression, seriously. And maybe start reading the links the other posters on here are providing. I suspect however, this thread is just a passive-aggressive attempt to denigrate women.
No --- I might be denigrating feminism. After all these years of feminism, women seem less happy.

You don't think depression is a problem? You don't wonder why in our very materialistic lavish society that people would kill themselves?

Obviously the rate of depression is growing, it's the depression that is leading to higher and soaring suicide rates.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times
Quote:
No --- I might be denigrating feminism. After all these years of feminism, women seem less happy.

You don't think depression is a problem? You don't wonder why in our very materialistic lavish society that people would kill themselves?
Uh, did I just not say you should read up on depression? How did that get twisted in your translation to mean that I don't think depression is a problem? You're asking a question that I don't have an answer for. I've said it, I gave a perhaps reason. Other than that, I don't know. What I do know is this appears to be an attempt on your part to denigrate women.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
True that it can be hard to report -- a co-worker's sister locked herself in her house and overdosed on alcohol and barbituates -- they never knew if it was accidental or intentional, it wasn't recorded as a suicide but many in that family believe it probably was. It as called "accidental overdose of barbituates and alcohol".

Maybe men are more likely to put a gun to their head which really can't be classified as accidental.
Data is not collected on suicide attempts as it is impossible to distinguish from self-destructive behaviors or self-harm behaviors that result in death.

Facts and Figures

My word of caution on threads such as these is that this is a HIGHLY emotive topic. Using disparaging language when discussing this topic is not only offensive, but is deeply hurtful to persons whose lives have been affected by suicide.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I think tis like look at suicide itself .Often it a case of people committing suicide while under influence of alcohol or drugs while suffering from depression. Its often the thing that is common and experts say its often the tipping point between acting or not.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Perhaps there is something to be said for being happy with what you have. I was stationed in a country where people struggled every day to survive.

They would walk for miles each day pushing a wheelbarrow and cutting grass by hand in the barrow pits to get feed for their goat or sheep so they could have milk and cheese.
The women and kids would travel with a rag full of small twigs they had collected so they could cook.
They would walk for several miles to garden a plot on a hillside for food, and sleep there in shanty's when harvest came to protect their supplies.

Very few had jobs that paid much of anything, but every evening they would go to the local café, smoke nasty cheap cigarettes, drink nasty coffee, laugh and joke with their friends, play music on homemade instruments and sing, and as long as their family was healthy, they were pretty happy. Part of it may have been that they were part of a community. They fit in with others that were in exactly the same shape they were. They depended on each other for survival.

Most developed countries have all the material goods, but increasing alienation. We don't talk to each other, we text or e-mail or blog,
We don't spend time helping each other, the government takes care of people we don't want to associate with.
Families are demonized, men are considered the ultimate evil in a child's life, traditional family roles are gone and so many families are single mother now.

People concentrate on having bigger cars or houses than their neighbors, or going on more expensive vacations.
We don't depend on each other for anything, our best friends are the tv and the computer.

Humans are a herd animal by nature, we need to fit in and be with others, but our modern society seems to do its best to separate people.
We don't have lodges or sewing club anymore, we have political action committees. Churches are reviled, we move far from family to follow a career. Traditional roles are gone and people no longer know what is expected of them, so they try to be everything instead of just being happy with what they have.
We don't even know our neighbors anymore even though they live just through the wall from us.

Perhaps, instead of talking on an internet board, we could interact with the folks around us and find satisfaction in being part of the human race instead of just bits on a screen?

Too radical I know, never happen.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:30 PM

800 posts, read 508,984 times
For what it's worth, I don't see how the OP is denigrating women. If you pulled up some unfortunate and depressing facts about any group or place somebody somewhere would get offended. It can't be avoided if one is going to ask questions and find out reasons and truth. If we said something like "Studies show 7 out of 10 southerners are poorer than the average notherner. Why?" or "How come blacks are statistically shown to cause more crimes than other races?" these would offend some people too no doubt. Inquiring minds shouldn't have their free speech discouraged just because some people are bothered by it.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
That's a good point, women in poorer countries don't have the high suicide rates (nor do the men) that we have here. All our riches, all our easy life -- it's not making people happy.

Did you really need a study to tell you $$$ doesn't bring happiness?

THAT explains quite a bit about you.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Perhaps there is something to be said for being happy with what you have. I was stationed in a country where people struggled every day to survive.

They would walk for miles each day pushing a wheelbarrow and cutting grass by hand in the barrow pits to get feed for their goat or sheep so they could have milk and cheese.
The women and kids would travel with a rag full of small twigs they had collected so they could cook.
They would walk for several miles to garden a plot on a hillside for food, and sleep there in shanty's when harvest came to protect their supplies.

Very few had jobs that paid much of anything, but every evening they would go to the local café, smoke nasty cheap cigarettes, drink nasty coffee, laugh and joke with their friends, play music on homemade instruments and sing, and as long as their family was healthy, they were pretty happy. Part of it may have been that they were part of a community. They fit in with others that were in exactly the same shape they were. They depended on each other for survival.

Most developed countries have all the material goods, but increasing alienation. We don't talk to each other, we text or e-mail or blog,
We don't spend time helping each other, the government takes care of people we don't want to associate with.
Families are demonized, men are considered the ultimate evil in a child's life, traditional family roles are gone and so many families are single mother now.

People concentrate on having bigger cars or houses than their neighbors, or going on more expensive vacations.
We don't depend on each other for anything, our best friends are the tv and the computer.

Humans are a herd animal by nature, we need to fit in and be with others, but our modern society seems to do its best to separate people.
We don't have lodges or sewing club anymore, we have political action committees. Churches are reviled, we move far from family to follow a career. Traditional roles are gone and people no longer know what is expected of them, so they try to be everything instead of just being happy with what they have.
We don't even know our neighbors anymore even though they live just through the wall from us.

Perhaps, instead of talking on an internet board, we could interact with the folks around us and find satisfaction in being part of the human race instead of just bits on a screen?

Too radical I know, never happen.
So you are insinuating that suicide is rare in impoverished countries? Well you'd be wrong.

WHO | Suicide rates per 100,000 by country, year and sex (Table)

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. You are posting on an internet board too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies