Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,945,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There was a prison industry in 1961?

Federal Prison Industries

quote:
Federal Prison Industries, also known as UNICOR and FPI, is a wholly owned United States government corporation created in 1934 that uses penal labor from the Federal Bureau of Prisons to produce goods and services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,999,333 times
From what I have read, it is illegal because of a lie told to a Congressional Committee.
The head of the AMA was supposed to testify before the Committee, and planned to lay out the medicinal uses of marijuana, but he couldn't make it to the hearing, so one of his underlings took his place. The underling was extremely anti-marijuana, so he testified that there were NO medicinal uses for the stuff.
The committee believed him, and also believed all the other naysayers, doomsayers and "You MUST do it FOR THE CHILDREN!" advocates, and made it illegal.
They also totally destroyed the hemp industry. Hemp rope and cordage was great stuff!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:44 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,147,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There was a prison industry in 1961?
Instead of prison for profit, it was prison for race in some departments.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:45 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,761,267 times
Hopefully Pa. comes into the 21st century.....
Sen. Leach's bill to legalize marijuana in Pennsylvania unveiled - King Of Prussia Courier - Main Line Media News

Old 07-07-2013, 06:46 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,147,643 times
These different groups with similar, but related causes need to start banding together. Outside of any political affiliation.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,761,267 times
A lot came from this movie, this is only the trailer.

Reefer Madness Trailer Great marijuana movie - YouTube

Old 07-07-2013, 06:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,271,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Marijuana is bad for you, that's why the government throws users in jail and gives them a criminal record.

Being locked up with violent criminals is less harmful than smoking a joint.
Hey Don: I didn't know who to answer on this question about the marijuana but I have to let someone on here know that marijuana ruined my life. I was married very young..19 and had a son with my first husband by the time I was 20, he was 22. He started smoking marijuana shortly after that and after a few years of constant use, he wouldn't work, let his hair grow longer than it should be, didn't take care of himself physically, let things go in the house...we had water in the basement, the furnace blew up and he didn't replace it...no heat in the middle of the winter in Northern Maine is the PITS. I had no running hot water at all..had to heat it on the stove and when there was no money for the propane gas to heat the water on the stove, I had to use a hot plate!
All of the above was attributed to his lack of ambition due to being STONED all the freakin time. He soon after all this begain to SELL the damn stuff. Oh, we had money but I was tired of seeing State Troopers at my door looking for him. Have you EVER seen a Maine State Trooper?? They are ENORMOUS and very intimidating. I was so young and scared all the time.
The absolute frosting on the cake was when I walked into our living room and saw my ex giving my first grade son a hit off a joint. I slapped him so hard the joint went flying across the room and I asked him to LEAVE.
I stayed with this full blown POT moron for another 4 years...he took off with another man's wife and ran with her to Georgia..I packed up our son and took most of what I could fit into my beat up old Pontiac and here I am today...remarried and happy with a normal, healthy grown son who NEVER sees his Dad...my son is 44 and has perhaps only seen his Dad all these years 4 times.
Does my EX still smoke the crap..YES and he is growing it now. Don't know where in Northern Maine he is growing it but have heard he has his own crop. Glad I am away from it..hate the stuff!!!

Old 07-07-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
A lot came from this movie, this is only the trailer.

Reefer Madness Trailer Great marijuana movie - YouTube
Yeah pretty bizarre. Propaganda at its finest. One of the newer docs I watched on this issue has a very funny line from one of the actor/comedians.

I think the same doc the above clip was taken from. He said I wish the govt would declare a war on hot chicks then there would be one on every corner. LOL

Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 AM

51,011 posts, read 36,695,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Hey Don: I didn't know who to answer on this question about the marijuana but I have to let someone on here know that marijuana ruined my life. I was married very young..19 and had a son with my first husband by the time I was 20, he was 22. He started smoking marijuana shortly after that and after a few years of constant use, he wouldn't work, let his hair grow longer than it should be, didn't take care of himself physically, let things go in the house...we had water in the basement, the furnace blew up and he didn't replace it...no heat in the middle of the winter in Northern Maine is the PITS. I had no running hot water at all..had to heat it on the stove and when there was no money for the propane gas to heat the water on the stove, I had to use a hot plate!
All of the above was attributed to his lack of ambition due to being STONED all the freakin time. He soon after all this begain to SELL the damn stuff. Oh, we had money but I was tired of seeing State Troopers at my door looking for him. Have you EVER seen a Maine State Trooper?? They are ENORMOUS and very intimidating. I was so young and scared all the time.
The absolute frosting on the cake was when I walked into our living room and saw my ex giving my first grade son a hit off a joint. I slapped him so hard the joint went flying across the room and I asked him to LEAVE.
I stayed with this full blown POT moron for another 4 years...he took off with another man's wife and ran with her to Georgia..I packed up our son and took most of what I could fit into my beat up old Pontiac and here I am today...remarried and happy with a normal, healthy grown son who NEVER sees his Dad...my son is 44 and has perhaps only seen his Dad all these years 4 times.
Does my EX still smoke the crap..YES and he is growing it now. Don't know where in Northern Maine he is growing it but have heard he has his own crop. Glad I am away from it..hate the stuff!!!
I don't get the point of this. There are many more stories of alcoholics who do far worse than just let their hair grow too long and lose ambition. Why use an example of someone who abused a substance as proof that users should go to jail for using it, especially when so many other legal substances cause much more damage when abused?

NO ONE here is advocating abuse of any substance. Aside from this, it's not like people can't already get pot easily, all legalization would do would be to keep people from being made criminals for it.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The issue with these though has been federal agencies fighting with state. This is seriously messed up. There is a great deal of money being made with the black market which is highly profitable.

Marijuana dispensary operator Aaron Sandusky sentenced to 10 years - DailyBulletin.com

quote:
California voters approved Proposition 215 in 1996, allowing medical marijuana in the state, while state Senate Bill 420, which details the amount of marijuana a person can possess for medical purposes, prevents cities and counties from banning marijuana dispensaries.

But federal law says marijuana - medical or otherwise - is illegal.

"He gave him the mandatory minimum of 10," Sandusky's attorney Roger Diamond said. "I tried to get the judge to go below the minimum by arguing the sentence would be unconstitutional. That's all."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies