Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 08:58 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All this episode shows is the utter contempt liberals in particular white liberals have for poor people. It's ideology or nothing. Wal-Mart's workers are on public assistance they screech. Ok and considering they took the job what other options do they have? I guess liberals prefer they stay at home. Whole Foods pays its workers the same and bans Spanish yet nary a peep from liberals.Why because liberals patron Whole Foods. How many people on food stamps shop at Wal-Mart compared to Whole Foods?

The areas in Dc where Wal-Mart was going to open were in poor Black areas where grocery stores and business in general are nearly non-existent. One center where the store would be located has been without an anchor for 23 years but hey Wal-Mart's bad! So no jobs for the poor Blacks in the neighborhood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Wal-Mart provides job I believe work is good for the character. I believe folks learn valuable skills that can help them improve their lives as opposed to loitering on the corners. It's clear to me White liberals could care less about poor Black people and I hope more begin to realize that. There was a pro-Wal-Mart protest in Dc and it was mostly Blacks. We are talking about areas devoid of capital investment for decades and for people to be so caught up on ideology to put these projects at risk is just cruel.

Wal-Mart pays it's workers in suburban DC location $12 there was every indication they would pay around that in DC. This was a payoff to unions don't delude yourself into thinking this was about the poor.
ITA with EdwardA here in regards to Walmart!

I live in a poor black neighborhood and many of the other retail chains that could provide jobs and anchor a retail center in black neighborhoods don't want to come to poor black neighborhoods, only Walmart will come and I welcome them due to that.

We had a Walmart open up not too far from my home (I live in Atlanta) and practically everyone in this area are happy Walmart is in our community, they bring a lot of customers onto the black business district in that area, they offer fruits and vegetables and an affordable grocery outlet for people who were previously forced to travel longer distances for groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So let me get this straight, you hate welfare, but you're ok with Walmart getting welfare from the government? You can bet that 99.9%-100% of the potential Walmart workers in DC would still be on public assistance just like the many many many Walmart workers across the country. Corporate welfare at its finest
Unlike EdwardA (and maybe he agrees, who knows) I don't hate welfare. I also am not "ikay with Walmart getting welfare from the government." But like him, I know it is better for people to be working and getting food stamps or Medicaid than to be at home and depressed, not working, and setting a poor example for their children.

Who cares if they would still be on public assistance. Most retail workers are on public assistance and food workers are on public assistance. Why all the anger at Walmart.

Even though EdwardA may not agree with me in regards to this, I do feel if we want to change the culture of our large corporations who have large populations of low wage workers in their ranks, we need to support those workers in unionization - a new labor movement with a large group of people outside of the leadership of current union doles. The only way wages will rise is for people to demand better wages and protest on a national level. Legislating higher wages in specific geographic locations will only serve to lower business expansion in those areas when many poor people would like to work and would rather work and still get public assistance versus sitting at home unemployed.

I have a sister-in-law in her 20s and she works at Walmart. She is a young mom and wife and works 2 jobs because she cannot find a full time job. She is also a full time student. Walmart is flexible with her schedule and offers her overtime often if she needs more money. Like most people she doesn't love her job, but she is happy she is working and when she got that job she was ecstatic as he hadn't worked in over 6 months due to the downturn in employment in the area where I am originally from. She still qualifies for housing assistance and does get foodstamps and if my brother (her husband was employed and luckily he is up for a very good union job right now) didn't watch their kids while she worked, she would qualify for daycare assistance. And even with all that, she would rather work and be productive. My older sister also works for Walmart as a stocking clerk at night and she makes pretty good money for that area and is happy to have that job as well.

Many liberals against Walmart only see "evil corporation" and you don't realize that both individuals and neighborhoods depend on companies like Walmart and welcome Walmart because they don't have any other options for employment or to spur growth in their communities.

Property values in my area are actually on the rise, which is crazy considering Atlanta was hard hit by the Great Recession, especially in housing, many feel the Walmart is contributing to growth and the location where it was placed was a great one, near HBCUs so the college students work there as well part time, near a train station, not far from downtown and right on an historic black business district. I am happy they moved to our area. Trader Joes or Whole Foods or any other big name stores were not interested and don't care about improving business in my neighborhood and those like it due to us not "fitting their demographic" (being white, middle class, suburbanites, or liberals).

Also, I don't mind Walmart because I have them in my 401k and other investment accounts and they make me money!

DC is going to push a lot of poor blacks in particular out of the city. I have a cousin who lives there and she is not poor and has a hard time making ends meet due to the rise in cost since she originally moved there over 10 years ago. Keeping Walmart out of those neighborhoods will only spur more blight and more crime and eventually gentrification in order to move low wage workers out of DC.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 09-13-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Fine by me if walmart goes away. I live local shops and the diversity better before i ever heard of, or saw a walmart. Once walmart was thought of as a town killer, and i still think that.

But now walmart has wiped out small business it will be harder to bring back what is lost.

Being shelf stock personal isn't ever going to earn enough to live on. These jobs are for teens to learn how to work and the elderly/retired to assist SS.

I think a living wage means you earn no less than 30 bucks an hour. Then it takes 2 people earning that to have a house a car and so on that we still call the American dream.

Walmart has nothing of any value what so ever. There almost nothing in the USA you can buy of any value anymore.

Most people blow their so called money on cheap chinese junk. Most big brand names are really cheap chinese junk.

I just bought 14 cotton dress shirts of cotton with labels of LL Bean and Woolrich, ALL made in china of cheap junk. In the stores these cost 65 bucks each

I bought them in a bag for 5 bucks from the local church store and these appear to be brand new.

Some wicked good earthy colors too, just my style.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Probably already mentioned way earlier.....but living wage bill was vetoed.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Good......... Any fool can whittle toothpicks all day. That doesn't mean it's worth 50 bucks an hour. What should a stock boy get to set cans of Dinty Moore on a shelf anyway?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:12 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
This doesn't mean they will try again in the future. If I was Walmart I would have still decided to stay out of DC. The liberal tendencies are already known. What if one of these city council members becomes the next mayor? And with the political awakening among urban Democrats due to Obama, and the rabble rousing by labor secretary Perez who agrees with $15 an hour for fast food things like this will be brought up again. I don't its safe for Walmart to set up shop in Washington DC for this reason.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,123 times
Default Finally, the Answer

If WalMart abandons DC for this, then the rest of the country should follow suit. Good riddance to this corporate parasite.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Only one vote away from override though. We shall see.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
ITA with EdwardA here in regards to Walmart!

I live in a poor black neighborhood and many of the other retail chains that could provide jobs and anchor a retail center in black neighborhoods don't want to come to poor black neighborhoods, only Walmart will come and I welcome them due to that.

We had a Walmart open up not too far from my home (I live in Atlanta) and practically everyone in this area are happy Walmart is in our community, they bring a lot of customers onto the black business district in that area, they offer fruits and vegetables and an affordable grocery outlet for people who were previously forced to travel longer distances for groceries.

Unlike EdwardA (and maybe he agrees, who knows) I don't hate welfare. I also am not "ikay with Walmart getting welfare from the government." But like him, I know it is better for people to be working and getting food stamps or Medicaid than to be at home and depressed, not working, and setting a poor example for their children.

Who cares if they would still be on public assistance. Most retail workers are on public assistance and food workers are on public assistance. Why all the anger at Walmart.

Even though EdwardA may not agree with me in regards to this, I do feel if we want to change the culture of our large corporations who have large populations of low wage workers in their ranks, we need to support those workers in unionization - a new labor movement with a large group of people outside of the leadership of current union doles. The only way wages will rise is for people to demand better wages and protest on a national level. Legislating higher wages in specific geographic locations will only serve to lower business expansion in those areas when many poor people would like to work and would rather work and still get public assistance versus sitting at home unemployed.

I have a sister-in-law in her 20s and she works at Walmart. She is a young mom and wife and works 2 jobs because she cannot find a full time job. She is also a full time student. Walmart is flexible with her schedule and offers her overtime often if she needs more money. Like most people she doesn't love her job, but she is happy she is working and when she got that job she was ecstatic as he hadn't worked in over 6 months due to the downturn in employment in the area where I am originally from. She still qualifies for housing assistance and does get foodstamps and if my brother (her husband was employed and luckily he is up for a very good union job right now) didn't watch their kids while she worked, she would qualify for daycare assistance. And even with all that, she would rather work and be productive. My older sister also works for Walmart as a stocking clerk at night and she makes pretty good money for that area and is happy to have that job as well.

Many liberals against Walmart only see "evil corporation" and you don't realize that both individuals and neighborhoods depend on companies like Walmart and welcome Walmart because they don't have any other options for employment or to spur growth in their communities.

Property values in my area are actually on the rise, which is crazy considering Atlanta was hard hit by the Great Recession, especially in housing, many feel the Walmart is contributing to growth and the location where it was placed was a great one, near HBCUs so the college students work there as well part time, near a train station, not far from downtown and right on an historic black business district. I am happy they moved to our area. Trader Joes or Whole Foods or any other big name stores were not interested and don't care about improving business in my neighborhood and those like it due to us not "fitting their demographic" (being white, middle class, suburbanites, or liberals).

Also, I don't mind Walmart because I have them in my 401k and other investment accounts and they make me money!

DC is going to push a lot of poor blacks in particular out of the city. I have a cousin who lives there and she is not poor and has a hard time making ends meet due to the rise in cost since she originally moved there over 10 years ago. Keeping Walmart out of those neighborhoods will only spur more blight and more crime and eventually gentrification in order to move low wage workers out of DC.
I actually agree with most of what you wrote although I take a dim view towards unions. However I do recognize left to their own devices management will not always do right by their employees. As with anything in life balance is preferable.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:29 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Wal-Mart will abandon D.C. if city passes living-wage law

I predict DC (or any other city) would survive w/o WalMart.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM

167 posts, read 278,270 times
Good, Walmart needs to go. I wish it would leave my area, don't like it, don't want it. Rather have a mom and pop store where everyone knows your name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies