Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times

Advertisements

David Barton of Wall Builders has studied the statistical records for the past 60 years. In each study you can clearly see a negative impact starting around the year 1962 when School Prayer was removed! Teenage pregnancy rates have gone up 500% since 1962. Unmarried mothers have risen dramatically since 1962. The divorce Rate is so high that many young children don't really understand what a family is. Violent Crimes have risen steadily since the early 60's, and our prison system is bursting at the seams. The SAT scores have steadily declined each year for 18 straight years since 1962 and continue to decline or be low. We once had the best school system in the world, and we are now ranked about 15th among the industrialized nations. This is despite us spending more money then any other nation in the world on our school system. As the poorly educated enter the workforce how can our companies compete with other international industries?
Here you can see the effect of removing School Prayer

Government Records show the top 7 leading problems in our schools ranked in order from first to seventh, 1940 and 1990. Notice the differences in type and seriousness.

1. Talking out of turn (1940)
1. Drug abuse (1990)
2. Chewing Gum (1940)
2. Alcohol abuse (1990)
3. Making noise (1940)
3. Pregnancy (1990)
4. Running in the Halls (1940)
4. Suicide (1990)
5. Cutting in Line (1940)
5. Rape (1990)
6. Dress-code violations (1940)
6. Robbery (1990)
7. Littering (1940)
7. Assault (1990)
It is interesting to note that Christian Schools have much higher SAT scores then the public schools, and yet they spend much less per student then the public schools. In fact David Barton says their scores are still near the 1962 levels! It appears that teaching morals has a very positive impact on education!

We have gone from public schools which taught moral principles and good citizenship with high scholastic achievement, to schools that have disrespect for authority, sex, drugs, anger, knives, guns, murder, no moral teachings, no mention of God and low SAT scores.

Our founding fathers felt that good moral citizenship was essential for the success of the new nation. Read their quotes on the next page.

Thank you, liberal-controlled Supreme Court for screwing up whole generations of Americans!

Do you agree or disagree with the Court on freedom of religion in schools???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
So... God is punishing us for not forcing kids to pray to him? Christian schools are private schools that tend to be populated with affluent kids with relatively well-educated parents.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:57 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
No fish dude. God has nothing to do with it.
Its about listening to the great quaks on how to raise, how to teach, and how to disiplin children that has led to this. We should have listened to our Grand parents and parents instead.
Not to mention a justice system that buys into the notion Johnny is bad because daddy never bought him a red wagon.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 PM

640 posts, read 461,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
So... God is punishing us for not forcing kids to pray to him? Christian schools are private schools that tend to be populated with affluent kids with relatively well-educated parents.
Then doesn't it make sense to have public schools mirror these Christian and private schools?

And no, God isn't punishing kids. The liberal courts have......

Old 11-08-2007, 04:03 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Then doesn't it make sense to have public schools mirror these Christian and private schools?

And no, God isn't punishing kids. The liberal courts have......
Again, people are not getting the point here. I am glad at least you did!

The Courts are screwing up kids big time. God is being kept out of schools, which is leading to the moral and ideological decay of American society.

And it is not only God being kept out; it is also Patriotism, personal responsibility, common sense, and free speech. But all these come with a good foundation from home and decent education and values.

Prayer was NEVER REQUIRED, but kids were allowed to pray or have Bibles in school. If I was caught with a Bible in a public school, I'd have been suspended, if not expelled. If I were to talk to other kids about God, I'd probably be expelled from school.

This is where the Court has infringed on freedom of religion (First Amendment) and freedom of speech.

That is why I say we need to get a new Supreme Court and start overturning these anti-Constitutional decisions issued by activist judges!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
No - the message is, the courts, through their liberalism have allowed respect and discipline DECLINE in our public schools

Old 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Quote:
So... God is punishing us for not forcing kids to pray to him? .
No, but by throwing God out of the schools, it seems liberal courts have managed to toss out all of the values that go with Christian Doctrines. All these values they claim to also be in support of like respecting elders, respecting each other, no premarital sex, no alcohol (until a certain age, other than the sacraments) or drugs etc, etc, etc.....

Now wait..... before any liberal windbag gets on here to tell me that "Nowhere in the bible does it say anything about some of what I've just listed..... I'm aware of that, but Christians have been teaching this. By throwing religion out of the schools we've thrown out a lot of the intrinsically good values with it.

We threw out the baby with the bath water so to speak.....

There was NEVER any harm being done by being too strict in a public school setting. When we took off the "shackle" of religion we forgot to tell our children that the same rules still apply. We just won't be doing any of it "In God's name..."

So no..... God's not punishing anyone. We're reaping what we've sown by thinking it right to treat our children like they're responsible adults WELL before their time for fear of insulting our children and making them believe we don't trust them...... Newsflash: WE DON'T TRUST THEM TO DO THIS ON THEIR OWN. WE NEVER DID AND SHOULDN'T. (Waiting for anyone here to think back to when they were a teenager and how many times they violated the trust of parents or teachers...).

Old 11-08-2007, 04:28 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Quote:
If I was caught with a Bible in a public school, I'd have been suspended, if not expelled. If I were to talk to other kids about God, I'd probably be expelled from school.
?

Where are you getting this stuff? Expelled as a student for 'bringing a Bible to school?' My public school had a Christian prayer group that met after hours. That was never a problem. We were a secular school, but we never had shootings or rapes.

Conversely, couldn't you make a similarly nonsensical argument that the end of school prayer also led to the end of racial segregation?

Come on, now.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:36 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
Both conservatives and liberals want activist judges -- if they agree with the activism. The number of incidents of shootings in schools has remained pretty constant for the last hundred years. The North has many parochial schools and the South has many 'segregation academies' (after 1954) so comparing public schools which take all comers to selective schools is really comparing apples and oranges.

Don't blame liberalism in the Supreme Court for school problems -- the court struck down segregated schools, mandatory high school for the Amish, laws against inter-racial marriages and many other laws which constrained the liberty of all Americans. So blaming liberals judges is really barking up the wrong tree.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
The moral decline is not just limited to inner city schools. A co-worker's daughter took a job at a HS in a small town (Wewoka, OK) known as Little Chicago. She lasted about 3 days. I think the moral decline of our nation (which is evidenced by our schools) is much broader and cannot be solely blamed on "liberal-controlled Supreme Court".

Every day I interview kids who quit school in the 7th grade and I ask them where were your parents? My parents would've flipped out if I ever quit school, let alone quit school in the 7th grade!

Their response is they moved regularly because the po-lice was always raiding their house and they wound up running the streets since age 8 years old. So, it's not just the courts' fault, it's the parents who use drugs and alcohol and do not teach respect and basic morals.

I still believe in the old adage. You can become who you are because of where you came from ~or~ you can become who you are IN SPITE of where you came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
We have gone from public schools which taught moral principles and good citizenship with high scholastic achievement, to schools that have disrespect for authority, sex, drugs, anger, knives, guns, murder, no moral teachings, no mention of God and low SAT scores.

Our founding fathers felt that good moral citizenship was essential for the success of the new nation. Read their quotes on the next page.

Thank you, liberal-controlled Supreme Court for screwing up whole generations of Americans!

Do you agree or disagree with the Court on freedom of religion in schools???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies