Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:59 PM

640 posts, read 461,315 times

Advertisements

With Hollywood and uber-left media obsessed with global warming, we've seen and heard Al Gore until it's almost sickening, so it was rather surprising to see this column by the Harvard Crimson's editorial page editor poking fun at the global-warmist-in-chief ~

And ICECAP published this article by John Coleman, founder of the weather channel, calling global warming the greatest scam in history.....Enjoy..

Weather Channel Founder: Global Warming ‘Greatest Scam in History’ | NewsBusters.org (http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/weather-channel-founder-global-warming-greatest-scam-history.html?q=blogs/noel-sheppard/2007/11/07/weather-channel-founder-global-warming-greatest-scam-history - broken link)

The Harvard Crimson :: Opinion :: Gore and “Green” Goonies

Last edited by Sooner_Nation_60; 11-08-2007 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: Added photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:31 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,854 times
Did you actually read the article? The author certainly isn't trying to "debunk global warming."

Old 11-08-2007, 05:39 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Your title is incorrect, the article pokes Gore for hypocrisy. It empathizes with the global warming position.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Did you actually read the article? The author certainly isn't trying to "debunk global warming."
Thanks for the heads-up, fishmonger. I missed my 2nd link ~ I just added it...sorry about that!

Old 11-08-2007, 07:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,848,200 times
Nobody is immune to hypocrisy, I see it everyday. All we need to do is confront them about it and berate them all for their hypocrisy! We'll start with all the movie stars since they see to come out of the woodwork during elections and national issues.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:50 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,803 times
Ad hominem tu quoque. Yes Gore lives a rather lavish lifestyle, but then so does your average suburbanite compared to the rest of the world. It doesn't negate the merit of his case on Global Warming. Again, it is just the ad hominem tu quoque fallacy in action.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
For those less erudite, a fallacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Ad hominem tu quoque. Yes Gore lives a rather lavish lifestyle, but then so does your average suburbanite compared to the rest of the world. It doesn't negate the merit of his case on Global Warming. Again, it is just the ad hominem tu quoque fallacy in action.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,331 times
I put fluorescent light bulbs in my house. Consider the planet saved. Thanks for the tip Al!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,103 times
The Harvard article is an opinion piece that doesn't debunk anything. And as for the other link, I am highly suspicious of the John Coleman article. I've seen him in action in both Chicago and San Diego as a TV meteorologist for many years. The writing style is nothing like his personality and the misspellings (a pet peeve of mine that utterly diminishes any web page's believability) make it suspicious.

I do know that energy companies hired people to contradict any evidence that human actions (especially those related to energy usage) would have any effect on the long-term environment, global warming in particular. Yet, I'm supposed to believe that these companies with all their power and money are afraid of a rag tag group of loosely organized scientists? In any situation, you gotta put your money on the ones WITHOUT all the lawyers, spin doctors, and moolah. If enough scientists are finding things out independently and then discovering trends quite by accident, I'd much rather side with their view of things than ever trust my future or my children's future on the misinformation paid for by some trillionaire oil barons.

Whatever the outcome, human beings are the worst thing that's ever happened to this planet. Without serious changes, Earth's viability will terminate. But, if you don't believe you have any impact at all on the environment and the sky can't possibly fall, go ahead, throw another cigarette into the street, or another plastic cup into the trash. It's all meaningless, right?

Old 11-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Yes, but the average suburbanite isn't out there throwing reduction of carbon footprints in our face....

It does HIGHLY negate his merits ~ he's living a lifestyle that he preaches the rest of us Should NOT live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies