Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 03:49 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

This question is directed towards the Black people here, but of course anyone can chime in. I just don't understand why there is so much more anger over the Trayvon Martin shooting than there was over the Oscar Grant shooting. If you don't remember Oscar Grant, he's the black guy that the BART police handcuffed, sat on, and then shot in the back for no reason at all - all of it caught on camera. The cop who murdered him took a bench trial and the judge just dismissed the murder charge. I know people were upset about that case, but why are they so much more upset over the Martin case? I remember how messed up the Grant case was, but I just don't remember this amount of anger and outrage. I think the situation should have been reversed. So why do the BART police get off relatively easy and George Zimmerman gets demonized?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 03:56 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
There was outrage over that. I remember it clearly. And a film just came out about it.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:01 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
op, why didnt you show more anger?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:04 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Maybe the president had something to do with it?

Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
op, why didnt you show more anger?
I did.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This question is directed towards the Black people here, but of course anyone can chime in. I just don't understand why there is so much more anger over the Trayvon Martin shooting than there was over the Oscar Grant shooting. If you don't remember Oscar Grant, he's the black guy that the BART police handcuffed, sat on, and then shot in the back for no reason at all - all of it caught on camera. The cop who murdered him took a bench trial and the judge just dismissed the murder charge. I know people were upset about that case, but why are they so much more upset over the Martin case? I remember how messed up the Grant case was, but I just don't remember this amount of anger and outrage. I think the situation should have been reversed. So why do the BART police get off relatively easy and George Zimmerman gets demonized?
Don't be confused by what black people are doing and what the media shows black people doing.

I remember how this story was presented when I first saw it on the news; they immediately let us know he was a convicted felon for drug charges and that he was shot for resisting arrest. Then on to the next story. It certainly didn't get the media attention Martin/Zimmerman got but don't think just because the cameras aren't rolling that people don't care.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why there is so much more anger over the Trayvon Martin shooting than there was over the Oscar Grant shooting. ...I just don't remember this amount of anger and outrage. So why do the BART police get off relatively easy and George Zimmerman gets demonized?
How did you ever arrive at this conclusion? If you dont live in a predominantly black area and rely on comemrcial news coverage, you maybe left with such an incompleate perception. However, I surely dont remember any black people that I know giving any thumbs up to murderous transit cops any more than the they did for the gangsta cops who bashed Rodney King to pieces. In fact I seem to recall plenty of uprising over The Oscar Grant tragedy in Oakland and other black communites just as what occured regarding Travon: Oscar Grant Verdict: Oakland Riots After Johannes Mehserle Convicted Of Involuntary Manslaughter

Also, were you attempting to imply that blacks unfairly villified Zimmerman and overlooked opportunities to do likewise to Johannes Mehserle?? Methinks for doing so, you might be more racist than Zimmerman and his supporters.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
there was plenty of outrage about the oscar grant shooting, but i think they realized that grant was also a dealer and needed to be taken off the streets, just not in that way.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Um, there was outrage:

"On July 8, 2010, the jury returned its verdict: Mehserle was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter and not guilty of second-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter.[12] Initial protests against the ruling were peacefully organized; looting, arson, destruction of property, and small riots broke out after dark. Nearly 80 people were eventually arrested."

BART Police shooting of Oscar Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there was plenty of outrage about the oscar grant shooting, but i think they realized that grant was also a dealer and needed to be taken off the streets, just not in that way.
I did not "realize" that a drug dealer deserves to be shot in the back. drug dealers should get light sentences, not shot in the back. with Oscar Grant, it looks like he was just selling weed. no one should EVER go to jail, or be shot, over weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies