Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,430 times

Advertisements

For those that want harsher prisons in the U.S. do you think Stateville in Illinois is a model for that?

It seems from the show they only are allowed showers once a week. They're almost always locked in their cells.

Apparently, many of them get a lot of girlfriends or female visitors, according to the female guard. That's about the only luxury I see.

National Geographic Americas Hardest Prisons-Stateville http://1-inmate-locator.blogspot.com - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Sounds like conditions I experienced in the army to me actually.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 PM

In Vietnam or something?

Or you mean the spot washing out in the field with your canteen? Yeah, to some extent its like that. But you don't get libo in Stateville. It's violent, and noisy. The cells suck too. And when in the Army is one locked in a small cell close to 24 hours a day, 7 day a week, year after year?

But like I said... one luxury is women write them, they pick up one or more girlfriends from behind bars, and the women come visit them. The one inmate "Dibble" picked up a college woman while behind bars in Stateville (He can draw his a__ off too). That's about the only luxury. But that's not worth being locked up in prison if you ask me.

This posted comment under the youtube vid might motivate you to watch the clip:

Quote:
witchfinder77 3 days ago

Dibble`s girlfriend is really beautiful
They interview her towards the end of the clip.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
I've seen that prison and Menard from the inside as well as many others and so what. They were convicted of a crime and they should live in luxury and have all the amenities for free that so many law abiding citizens cannot afford to pay for?

I have zero sympathy for prisoners and their supposed lack of "rights", what about the rights they took away from their victims?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,396,355 times
I don't really sympathize with them being locked up but I don't see the point of it.

Make them sit and read all day long, take math tests, learn a trade. Make it so they only earn free time if they are involved in some type of program that's going to be useful when they get out. I know someone who spends their summers in prison (sarcasm) only thing he ever comes out with is a new tat...I've told him before he might as well just commit a big crime and go in for life cause its obvious he'll never get a job with his rap sheet being three pages longer than his skillset.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I've seen that prison and Menard from the inside as well as many others and so what. They were convicted of a crime and they should live in luxury and have all the amenities for free that so many law abiding citizens cannot afford to pay for?

I have zero sympathy for prisoners and their supposed lack of "rights", what about the rights they took away from their victims?
I think my question was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
For those that want harsher prisons in the U.S. do you think Stateville in Illinois is a model for that?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I think my question was:

and I think my answer is very clear but maybe not........

Old 07-14-2013, 09:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,040,537 times
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

I don't entirely disagree. I have the same attitude on other issues as well.

Like issues of fat women: Post #78: Obese Woman = Gave Up?

I tell myself this and I mean it literally and metaphorically: Either I swim or I sink.

I don't know how to swim. Well, not longer than past as long as I can hold my breath. I know some water survival but that really does not suffice.

But I understand those that commit crimes and go to prison, or those that are overweight, have internal obstacles to overcome.

You'll see my posts in the thread on the former Goldman Sachs employee is pretty much the same. But I don't sympathize with Americans much overall. Prison, fat, law abiding, liberal, conservative, black, white... most are pretty big pricks and b____.

So, unlike "law abiding citizens," that whine and complain about American's blowing other American's heads off with shotguns, I really don't care. I mean it bothers me to to the extent I don't like living in this stuff, but that's America. So, to that extent I don't care.

Swim or sink.

I don't care if Trayvon supporters burn down Florida, Oakland, or Chicago. And I much don't care that Zimmerman gunned down Trayvon. Just like I'm pretty much indifferent to what the Boston Bombers did (though I really regret a child got killed) and the surviving brother can be found not guilty and I'd shrug.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:03 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
I think they should have shock collars on at all times that will shock them if they speak too loudly, use profanity or get too close to another inmate. And the guards of course can shock them if they do anything against the rules. Many of them are like animals and can be trained like dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies