Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think George Zimmerman is Racist, and where do you get your news?
I think Zimmerman is Racist, I get my news from Conservative sources. 0 0%
I think Zimmerman is Racist, I get my news from Mixed sources. 0 0%
I think Zimmerman is Racist, I get my news from Liberal sources. 0 0%
I think Zimmerman is NOT Racist, I get my news from Conservative sources. 3 8.82%
I think Zimmerman is NOT Racist, I get my news from Mixed sources. 24 70.59%
I think Zimmerman is NOT Racist, I get my news from Liberal sources. 0 0%
I couldn't care any less about whether Zimmerman is Racist or not. 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times

Advertisements

The poll question is, "Do you believe Zimmerman is a racist, and where do you primarily get your news?"

Liberal sites would be MSNBC, HuffPo, Daily KOS, Liberal friends.
Conservative sites would be Fox News, Drudge, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Conservative friends.
Mixed would be a mixture of the above or the more neutral sites.

Background:
I had an interesting "discussion" today with a couple of co-workers. One obtains his news exclusively from conservative sources (Fox, Drudge, etc.). The other obtains her news almost exclusively from liberal sources (HuffPo, MSNBC, etc). Personally I use both liberal AND conservative sources. We each had definite views on the Zimmerman verdict. For example, the Liberal News coworker insisted that Zimmerman was blatantly racist, had made many racists statements in the past and on that night, and should have been convicted of 2nd degree murder. The Conservative News coworker said he was completely railroaded and should sue everyone involved for slander and libel.

The Liberal fully believes that the police dispatcher told Zimmerman to stay in his truck before he got out and that Zimmerman made several blatantly racist statements to the dispatcher. The Conservative believes Martin was hopped up on drugs and was beating Zimmerman with a concrete block. None of those things is true, but they believe them because they heard them on the news.

So does your source of news put too much bias on your personal opinions?

Please note that this is NOT intended to be yet another pro/anti Zimmerman thread, that just happens to be the most trending source of polarization in the news right now. I'm assuming if this turns into yet another Zimmerman free-for-all it'll be shut down immediately.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 07-15-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
no. im center left and watch fox news.

i watch fox news because it is entertaining, not because i care about there tilt, which is obvious right.

i also like huffington post and the dailymail, huffington post because of its tilt, and the daily mail (which is center-right) london paper because of the unique stories and pictures you dont see elsewhere. i always learn somthing new when i visit that site.

the daily beast is also another interesting site, but i havent gotten that into them yet. are they left or right?

the other one i check occassionally for a minute is theblaze, far right, but the constant racial comments from the white trolls turn me off.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I get my news mostly from the CBC

Last edited by weltschmerz; 07-15-2013 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 05:23 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,409 times
I could care less if Zim is a racist or not, however I am convinced that he is a fat wimpy liar.

Last edited by wytrvn; 07-15-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Personally, I'm center-right and rarely watch TV news. I get my news from local papers, NPR radio while commuting, and the internet. On the internet I use all sorts of sites from Drudge and Fox to CNN to HuffPo and MSNBC. Often I'll read articles about the same happening on both MSNBS and Fox just to compare the spin.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Not racist - Mixed news sources.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not racist - Mixed news sources.
so your like me. read my first post in the thread to confirm.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM

131 posts, read 209,966 times
I don't believe he is a racist, and my news sources aren't bias.

The other day while awaiting the Jury Deliberations to be over, I turned on CNN simply because its the least bias (though it really is bias) major news-network I knew; well my Aunt comes down stairs whom is a hardcore liberal and strictly watches MSNBC, commented on me watching CNN by saying "I hate those Conservative A**holes on CNN", I was sincerely confused therefore I kept my mouth shut. A few seconds later with the Deliberations continuing she says "I hope that Zimmerman Son of A B**** goes to jail for life" and while previously refusing to comment before I decide to say "Well, I believe he acted within his means but nonethless he deserves minimum time." she simply walks off.

Fast forwarding a few days, she comes down stairs again after me clearly hearing her watching MSNBC, says something about the Zimmerman case that slips my mind but I know my response was similar to the first "I believe he was in the wrong for following him, but Trayvon shouldn't have provoked it"; this is when all hell broke loose. She says "TRAYVON DIDN'T DO ANYTHING TO HIM, HE DIDN'T SWING ON HIM" and I say "All evidence points to him starting the altercation, this is why Martin didn't have any bruising while Zimmerman did", this is when the most ignorant statement I've ever heard came out, she's says "Zimmerman followed that boy with his gun out and started fighting Trayvon, he didn't get those bruises by Trayvon because he was just a little kid vs that big disgusting man! Zimmerman killed him in cold blood, then started bashing his own head on the ground to make it seem like Trayvon did it!", so I simply ask "So you're saying all those screams for help were coming from Trayvon? Zimmerman just wanted to kill someone that night? All those bruises are fake and somehow Trayvon didn't have any injuries" from this point she says "F*** it, I can't debate politics with you" and goes back up stairs in a clear victory for me.

About 30 minutes later, I guess she feels as if she can try me again and says "So your saying Attorney General Holder is wrong!? He's even on his side", I killed that entire argument with one sentence by saying "This is the same Attorney General that said you can use drones to kill citizens." and she just went back up stairs again. With her final time going back down stairs to start a argument with me she says "I know why you're saying pro-Zimmerman, you use to live in the South, Yeah!" I said "No, based on that stereotype I would be more pro-Trayvon then anything but I actually have done the research to know what self-defense it. Are you telling me that if someone was walking around in your backyard, and you go outside to see who it is and they punch you and start trying to kill you, you would just let them?" She calmy responded "No", so I said "Well what if you were walking around at night time and you see someone following you, would you go back and confront them or call 911?" She says "RUN! Duh!" So I say "Then why didn't Trayvon do that? Instead he stays on the phone with his girlfriend and obviously took the initiative to find Zimmerman" once again she leaves in clear defeat.

The point of this story is to show that MSNBC and maybe even FOX are spinning bias articles pertaining to Zimmerman v Martin, both were in the wrong from a logical mans perspective. People are acting like sheeps rather than doing their own research and even using something as simple as common-sense. Why would Trayvon scream for help when he's the one beating someone's else? That let alone doesn't make sense.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:27 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Your Aunt lacks critical thinking skills and if she was my Aunt I would say she is a moron of the highest degree.

Myself, I get my news from all over the place and try to decipher it all to reach the truth.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
so your like me. read my first post in the thread to confirm.
Yep, my main news source where i got most of my information is CNN. or i just simply click the News tab on Google.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies