Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,242,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So, the result would be the same if the case had never gone to court. Z would be free. He is free today because of what you say -- there was no solid evidence to convict him. He was not declared innocent. The jury said he's "not guilty".

As for all gun owners "looking bad", I don't agree. Owning a gun is an individual responsibility and a serious one at that. Only the gun owner who uses his/her gun can make themselves look bad if they don't use caution and good judgment.

However, what you say provides an excuse in that Holder is now running with that to try to limit gun ownership even further, and calling for a "review" of stand-your-ground laws across the states (and that law didn't even play a part in the trial). So, any excuse will do for the anti-gun agenda.
I agree to a point. I love shooting and love being able to carry. I detest Holder and all he stands for. I also know that the anti-gun nuts will use any bad shoot as a reason to go after my rights.
I also know that people stereotype easily. GZ is the exact type of clown the zealots will latch on to as they already are.
It would do far more good for gun owners to recognize that GZ is not an example of the average gun owner and most of us do not behave as he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Perhaps GZ should follow your advice. We certainly don't know who initiated the physical confrontation.
For GZ to call 911...and then initiate a physical confrontation with the intention to take TM's ghost is very, very contrived. That is the work of a SEVERE sociopath. Of course, this would still have to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Quote:
No evidence either way. Only the word of a proven liar.
Every human under a microscope will be proven a liar.

Quote:
Her is another golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Don't follow people around at night for no reason. No one likes it.
Maybe he should have lived by the inverse code, right? Just mind your business and don't snitch. This course of action, or "code of honor" has gotten tons of black people killed in the hood.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:35 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,714,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Perhaps GZ should follow your advice. We certainly don't know who initiated the physical confrontation. No evidence either way. Only the word of a proven liar.
Her is another golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Don't follow people around at night for no reason. No one likes it.
I think if the two had met, GZ had said, hi, I'm neighborhood watch, don't recognize you, are you visiting here? And TM had said, yeah I'm at my dad's girlfriend's down there third door on the right, each would have gone their way. Bad judgment on Z's part to get out of the car, bad judgment on TM's part to double back and confront. In testimony I believe Rachel told TM to run home, the guy could be a rapist. It has been suggested that TM may have thought GZ is gay, and went back to beat him up. He was a fighter, remember?
Now, it can't be proved that's what TM thought, but if it was, then he committed a hate crime in attacking Z.

There are things about this case we may never know, but it's time to accept the jury's verdict and let it go.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:37 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,216,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is what I'm trying to figure out.

Opinions?
What makes you think it's going to be a punishable crime????

Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM

370 posts, read 247,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choclot View Post
it is as i've often said (and believed). Black men are rarely given the benefit of the doubt, while others are "innocent until proven guilty". Just shameful.

o.j. ?

Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,918,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther Rall View Post
o.j. ?
Ray Lewis too

Old 07-17-2013, 09:01 AM

27,643 posts, read 28,738,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
What makes you think it's going to be a punishable crime????
It is my hope and expectation that it won't be a punishable crime.

Hoewever, recent comments from our current Attorney General of the U.S. makes me wonder about it.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Not really.

Our foundation of the law is something called "innocent until proven guilty." So unless you have evidence that proves Zimmerman guilty, he's innocent. In fact the juries looked at this case FAR more carefully than you have and they agreed that all the evidences supported what Zimmerman claimed which was self defense.

You can have your own opinion and belief but that's a moot point like a cow's opinion, it just doesn't matter and it's moo. :-)

Are you suggesting that we change that to guilty until proven otherwise?
There are holes in the story that should of been questioned, Zimmerman was proven not guilty, but that doesn't fill those holes.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,216,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is my hope and expectation that it won't be a punishable crime.

Hoewever, recent comments from our current Attorney General of the U.S. makes me wonder about it.
Attorney Generals don't make laws, so not sure why you would worry about it.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,525,216 times
So, is it going to be a punishable crime now to shoot a person who is violently bashing your head against a sidewalk?

No, but that would be racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies