Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM

33,589 posts, read 18,205,953 times

Advertisements

Abuse of drugs are making all mankind into a degenerate. Drugs are taken by every race or color. It is a life choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 10:56 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,843,854 times
I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but as a black person who grew up in the 80s/90s and who had parents and practically every adult around me (sans grandparents and a couple aunts) involved in the crack cocaine epidemic of that era, I feel that black people use heroine less on average because that drug has a horrible reputation amongst black people and we just "know" not to touch it. Many non-black people don't know that there was an inner city heroine epidemic, similar to the crack epidemic, that occurred in the black inner city neighborhoods in the 1960s/1970s. So heroine has a horrible reputation amongst black people as something to never touch similar to the reputation (actually worse) than crack. That is not to say that all black people take such advice as what was mentioned earlier in the thread - traumatizing situations/abuse or early childhood trauma can cause someone to try to "escape" their situations by utilizing heroine more due to that reputation.

So due to our viewing the horrific effects of drug use, black people are just less likely to use hardcore drugs. I will be honest and say that using any drug stronger than weed was considered a "white thing" in my own integrated high school. I had a lot of hardcore drunk white friends and white friends who snorted Tylenol codeine and other prescription drugs. A lot of them I have found out via reconnecting on facebook are now heroine or Rx addicts or recovering addicts. The prescription drug addictions are also considered a white thing too amongst my black peers, even today. Black people have been through a lot psychologically in this country for generations and I do feel, in general, that we have more of a "it will get better" attitude. Also, I do feel religion helps. Even though I am not religious, over 80% of black Americans hold some sort of belief in God or a higher power and that faith, I feel is something that is cherished due to us going through so much but "knowing" that "God will make a way" so many black people just don't see the need for drugs. They have God and don't need heroine. And they have been through "worse" and know that things will get better so we are more prepared for tough times than someone who has lived a cushy, suburban life who has never dealt with sorrow or pain or prejudice or discrimination or humiliation before. Those are the people who will use hard drugs, especially teens, due to some made up "problem" or to dull the pain from real, difficult issues that are going on in their lives whereas many black people will turn to church/God/faith for help instead of hardcore drugs and lean on the cultural experience of being strong and knowing that good things follow difficult times instead of being trapped in depression. People who rarely deal with problems, don't know how to handle difficult situations and this is one of the primary reasons I feel that heroine use and abuse of Rx drugs is more rampant with with white Americans versus other demographics.

And FWIW, I agree with a post at the beginning of this thread about sending black kids to school in a predominately white school will make them more likely to be confronted with hardcore drug use. Most of my black friends did smoke weed but they did not have kegger parties or get "wasted" (as was so eloquently described in "Get Wasted" by Gucci Mane...."get white boy wasted" lol). They, like me, grew up in the crack epidemic and didn't do any drugs besides weed and maybe some angel dust, I think they call that "Molly" now. They also didn't try to get people to do it with them. I never understood the whole peer pressure lessons in regards to drugs as most black people who smoke weed I hung around with didn't want you smoking their weed if you didn't put "something on it" lol. They were really cool to have you just hang out (which I did as I never smoked weed) and chill and were happy they got more to themselves. I had more than a few friends who only dried angel dust once (weed laced with angel dust) and had a bad trip on it and never used it again too, practically all of my friends and cousins had bad experiences with it and decided just to spend more money on "good weed" lol.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,987,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I'm sure this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but as a black person who grew up in the 80s/90s and who had parents and practically every adult around me (sans grandparents and a couple aunts) involved in the crack cocaine epidemic of that era, I feel that black people use heroine less on average because that drug has a horrible reputation amongst black people and we just "know" not to touch it. Many non-black people don't know that there was an inner city heroine epidemic, similar to the crack epidemic, that occurred in the black inner city neighborhoods in the 1960s/1970s. So heroine has a horrible reputation amongst black people as something to never touch similar to the reputation (actually worse) than crack. That is not to say that all black people take such advice as what was mentioned earlier in the thread - traumatizing situations/abuse or early childhood trauma can cause someone to try to "escape" their situations by utilizing heroine more due to that reputation.
The basis of this entire movie:

I think people who use drugs are missing something in their lives they are trying to recreate with the usage of drugs. I'm not religious in the conventional sense so I'm not suggesting a "God-sized hole" or anything. However I think our culture has become so...packaged and so inauthentic with such an emphasis on safety over all that I think we're missing some primal element to our daily lives. I think everything has become so sanitized and clean some people turn to the needle/joint/pipe to feel alive again.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:17 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,170,799 times
Quote:

So due to our viewing the horrific effects of drug use, black people are just less likely to use hardcore drugs. I will be honest and say that using any drug stronger than weed was considered a "white thing" in my own integrated high school. I had a lot of hardcore drunk white friends and white friends who snorted Tylenol codeine and other prescription drugs. A lot of them I have found out via reconnecting on facebook are now heroine or Rx addicts or recovering addicts. The prescription drug addictions are also considered a white thing too amongst my black peers, even today. Black people have been through a lot psychologically in this country for generations and I do feel, in general, that we have more of a "it will get better" attitude. Also, I do feel religion helps. Even though I am not religious, over 80% of black Americans hold some sort of belief in God or a higher power and that faith, I feel is something that is cherished due to us going through so much but "knowing" that "God will make a way" so many black people just don't see the need for drugs. They have God and don't need heroine. And they have been through "worse" and know that things will get better so we are more prepared for tough times than someone who has lived a cushy, suburban life who has never dealt with sorrow or pain or prejudice or discrimination or humiliation before. Those are the people who will use hard drugs, especially teens, due to some made up "problem" or to dull the pain from real, difficult issues that are going on in their lives whereas many black people will turn to church/God/faith for help instead of hardcore drugs and lean on the cultural experience of being strong and knowing that good things follow difficult times instead of being trapped in depression. People who rarely deal with problems, don't know how to handle difficult situations and this is one of the primary reasons I feel that heroine use and abuse of Rx drugs is more rampant with with white Americans versus other demographics.

And FWIW, I agree with a post at the beginning of this thread about sending black kids to school in a predominately white school will make them more likely to be confronted with hardcore drug use. Most of my black friends did smoke weed but they did not have kegger parties or get "wasted" (as was so eloquently described in "Get Wasted" by Gucci Mane...."get white boy wasted" lol). They, like me, grew up in the crack epidemic and didn't do any drugs besides weed and maybe some angel dust, I think they call that "Molly" now. They also didn't try to get people to do it with them. I never understood the whole peer pressure lessons in regards to drugs as most black people who smoke weed I hung around with didn't want you smoking their weed if you didn't put "something on it" lol. They were really cool to have you just hang out (which I did as I never smoked weed) and chill and were happy they got more to themselves. I had more than a few friends who only dried angel dust once (weed laced with angel dust) and had a bad trip on it and never used it again too, practically all of my friends and cousins had bad experiences with it and decided just to spend more money on "good weed" lol.
WOW, I couldve written this myself. I too went to all white schools,my high school was very affluent, but lived in a mixed neighborhood. Like you, most of the black kids would smoke weed, nothing more, and maybe drink beer. When I went to white parties, they would have full access to liquor in the house, and any drug you wanted, rush, speed, weed, or coke. My kids currently attend a school thats about 70% white, and it has a very high suicide rate. You wonder why would kids want to kill themselves considering most of the kids have stay at home moms, and are well above the median income? I also think the drug usage is due to overprescribed meds. When my kids had wisdom teeth removed, they were given prescription strength ibuprofen, and hydrocodone..wtf??? Who needs hydrocodone for wisdom teeth. I didnt realize it until I had the prescription filled, and of course I never gave my kid anything other than the ibuprofen.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:26 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
WOW, I couldve written this myself. I too went to all white schools,my high school was very affluent, but lived in a mixed neighborhood. Like you, most of the black kids would smoke weed, nothing more, and maybe drink beer. When I went to white parties, they would have full access to liquor in the house, and any drug you wanted, rush, speed, weed, or coke. My kids currently attend a school thats about 70% white, and it has a very high suicide rate. You wonder why would kids want to kill themselves considering most of the kids have stay at home moms, and are well above the median income? I also think the drug usage is due to overprescribed meds. When my kids had wisdom teeth removed, they were given prescription strength ibuprofen, and hydrocodone..wtf??? Who needs hydrocodone for wisdom teeth. I didnt realize it until I had the prescription filled, and of course I never gave my kid anything other than the ibuprofen.
Where I went to school and grew up, it was the blacks that sold the whites the harder drugs. Actually it was the blacks that sold just about everything. If you got something from a white person, they got it from a black person. There were two mostly black neighborhoods near me where everyone would go to get drugs. It was curb-side service.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:00 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,668,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
same here...

I went to a predominantly white HS and their parties were crazy...

we didn't have those types of parties because our parents would kill us.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,170,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Where I went to school and grew up, it was the blacks that sold the whites the harder drugs. Actually it was the blacks that sold just about everything. If you got something from a white person, they got it from a black person. There were two mostly black neighborhoods near me where everyone would go to get drugs. It was curb-side service.

I didnt say blacks didnt sell the drugs, heck the white kids may have gotten them from black drug dealers. The point was, black kids normally didnt use the hard stuff, whereas the white kids did.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,553,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I'm not surprised since there has been a war on white men for nearly 40 years. .

We had a WHITE president in 35v of the past 40 years. We have had an almost 100% white senate for most of that period, the vast majority being white men. Over 90% of the CEOs of Fortune 1000 companies are white males.

So explain to me why white men are waging a war against white men. Now if you wish to place this within class terms feel free, but then most of you white men vote for wealthy white men so its your own fault if that's the case.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:41 PM

366 posts, read 645,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
is it well known?? Or just you flinging poo against the wall??

Many people have problems with drugs...all demographics.

Again, dig up your "stats"...the burden is on you.
Drugs isn't prevalent in the hispanic community.we always thought heron fur whites, crack fur blacks.

You guys families are all messed up so you dint care who finds out if you using. We dint like our familIes being disappointed in us so we dint do it oPenly.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:48 PM

366 posts, read 645,889 times
Quote:

Drugs aren't a problem in the black community. NOW. When i grew up in the 90s in LA it was huge. Crack was epidemic. It hit black people so hard that other blacks begun insulting eachother as crack baby.

I think that that's what got rid of drug abuse in the black community. Self ostracism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies